Help me choose my next money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Nah, Twinspark and RWD convert a CRZ or a 1st gen Insight.
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    don’t get me wrong, I am still going to build the twin Spark motor but probably find a different home for it
    Ahem.

Comment

Ahem.
      Why convert a car when you can start with one thats already aiming the engine the right way?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

one of my roommates at my last place had an alfa and you definitely picked that money pit you wanted, from his experience

first, check all of the fasteners on that thing and inspect for rust

i agree with other comments that a K24 swap with an S2K transmission might be the way, not least because i might do something similar with my Z3 if i decide to piss off the purists
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

I've personally been thinking about this route. Friend picked up a super low mile M3 (SMG). It's cool, but I like the practicality of a ZHP sedan more
          LOL, that was me.

Nice thread bump, Alfa was the right choice imo.

1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Why convert a car when you can start with one thats already aiming the engine the right way?
            Who said put the engine up front? Do all the things, mid engine, RWD, transaxle, inboard brakes, you know, full crazy.

Comment

Who said put the engine up front? Do all the things, mid engine, RWD, transaxle, inboard brakes, you know, full crazy.
              that stanceworks guy did most of that with a ferrari and i thought it came out pretty good
              past:
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post

that stanceworks guy did most of that with a Ferrari and i thought it came out pretty good
                Except that was already a mid engine car and he installed FWD setup out back. If I do a K-swap it will probably be a 3rd-gen MR2 and do the same.

Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Except that was already a mid engine car and he installed FWD setup out back. If I do a K-swap it will probably be a 3rd-gen MR2 and do the same.
                  true true, but you already bought the alfa, no?

then i stand by my original suggestion. K24 with an S2K transmission, the intake manifold and header from K-Sport and engine management from Hondata gets you the rest of the way there after you figure out how to get it all mounted, which is the non-trivial not-off-the-shelf part

i think that setup would be hairy enough naturally aspirated in such a little baby of a car. what's the curb weight on that thing?
                  past:
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:

Comment

this guy been trying and I’m learning from his pain that I won’t consider it at all... https://www.alfabb.com/threads/k20-conversion.706075/

In fact I am likely dialing back my own ambitious twin Spark swap dream to a more realistic and easy upgrade from the ‘1400’ to a 2000cc . I can swap over my euro cams and I should be around 126bhp, maybe a little more with the header I’ll be using... much less than the twin Spark, but I have a lot of good reasons.

don’t get me wrong, I am still going to build the twin Spark motor but probably find a different home for it

decay glad to see you back and posting... but I already addressed that suggestion. Keeping the Alfa carb'd as I would like to drive it in '23 more than I did in '22
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

decay glad to see you back and posting... but I already addressed that suggestion. Keeping the Alfa carb'd as I would like to drive it in '23 more than I did in '22
                      i missed that, my bad, and yeah, a baby two-liter sounds good too, and you're keeping it authentic.

arite then i'll limit my suggestion to a set of OZ wheels, as they're also made in italy

carry on, brother
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

I’ve been eying off a cheap Fiat X1/9 that’s for sale near me as a rolling shell with similar ideas You can get a swap kit from Midwest Bayless, although it would probably be the ultimate money pit (at least until it was finished!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMON-b.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	10077158

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

I’ve been eying off a cheap Fiat X1/9 that’s for sale near me as a rolling shell with similar ideas You can get a swap kit from Midwest Bayless, although it would probably be the ultimate money pit (at least until it was finished!)

If the chassis has no rust its a smart move. A stock motor would be a rocket in that small car

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMON-b.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	10077158

i haven't seen one of those in a hot fucking minute, and i've never seen one that didn't have the USDM 5mph bumpers. that's gotta be a grey-market car, she's a hottie and they weigh 2klbs out of the box. those panasports are a nice touch. i vote do it.
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

X1/9s are sweet but I've had a look around and under one and they're pretty lightly built, I'd get ready to reinforce a bunch of things if I were to double the torque the anemic 1.5 made.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Off topic in the off-topic lounge...

this is part 2

Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X