Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose my next money pit

Pretty simple.

The car, the positive / the potential nightmare and the link. Lemme know what y'all think. This is the off-topic subforum and basically an offshoot of the nonsense thread. Reply appropriately and tell me which one is your ROB pick

1988 324D: Smog Exempt / Major Project

1969 2002: Vintage Racer BSL / Neverending build?
    https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...d-sf-bay-area/

1973 MG MGB GT: Race-ready / Track car for the canyons?! Dog?
    Bid for the chance to own a 1973 MG MGB GT 5-Speed Race Car at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #45,927.

1964 Alfa Giulia Ti: Finally an Alfa (part 2) 2l Swap, other upgrades / Rust is waiting
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...307618571.html
    BMW 324D... This is R3V BRUH
    31.03%
    BMW 2002... you're an old man now
    17.24%
    MG MGB GT ... we hate you, so have fun with this old British thing
    10.34%
    MR2 k20 ... everything will be fine with the smog this time, promise ;)
    17.24%
    Alfa Giulia Ti The Italians knew how to build em in the 60s.
    24.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 2mAn; 05-18-2021, 01:53 PM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Not that M21, jeez, they're junk without a turbo, and the 02 leaves me uninspired for some reason. Clearly the answer is Alfa, any Alfa with a tin top, and as long as you can live with the pedantry of Alfa owners these days it will be fine. Whatever you do just don't buy one from BaT since it'll be overpriced and need of lots of work to be a real driver.

Comment

For the record, the M21 would be removed for whatever my heart desires. The point of a diesel is that its smog exempt in California, so I could swap in anything
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

What do you want out of this car? Reliability? Bang for buck? Race car or fun street car?

If you could get an MR2 through smog I think that would make the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          For the record, the M21 would be removed for whatever my heart desires. The point of a diesel is that its smog exempt in California, so I could swap in anything
          Let me take another tack, despite the obvious superiority of a four door E30, people hate them and your resale value suffers. Also, your realistic years of tolerating project cars are dwindling, do something new to you.

Comment

Carte blanche engine swap options for a California smog-exempt E30? I think we're done here.

This is a GIANT loophole. I wouldn't be surprised if this car retains more value because of the smog exempt status.

Comment

The Alfa in Belmont seems like the best one of the lot, with the E30 coming in a close second. The other Alfa isn't quite as cool, and the rest of them are kinda janky.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

Carte blanche engine swap options for a California smog-exempt E30? I think we're done here.

This is a GIANT loophole. I wouldn't be surprised if this car retains more value because of the smog exempt status.
                It's a white sedan, it will always be viewed as a lesser E30 even with something like an S54.

Comment

What about your cousins 2002?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    What about your cousins 2002?
                    I saw it again maybe 2 weeks ago and trust me Ive been tempted to save it, but Id rather help him finish it. I already helped him source a "new" wiring harness to replace that hacked up one.

edit: WHO VOTED FOR THE MG!?... explain yourself
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

2mAn and Victell --- Are you guys sure about this? I worked with an importer of diesel land cruisers and while they are supposed to be exempt getting them registered in Cali wasn't easy and as an importer and seller they wouldn't advise people to register in Cali or try to do title work there. Often times people would register them outside of California, then after 6+ months get Cali plates on them, but I've heard neighbors would actually turn people in for this stuff or would report out of state plates on their neighbor's vehicles saying that they were trying to avoid SMOG / EPA testing. I know of someone who moved to NM because he found it to be such a pain to register not one but like 3 different diesel cruisers in Cali. Even with one of them on Cali plates when he purchased, it was a massive headache.

If you go that route, I hope everything works out but it reminds me of my time working with said importer. While the E30 may be different it's nearly the same situation. That model wasn't sold here, but a variation was, non-diesel, so this reminds me of what people went through with trying to register diesel cruisers.

---

I like the idea of k20 mr2, k20 everything. But again with smog, hoping everything works out. K20 your current MR2? I still lust after a 2nd gen.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-13-2021, 09:29 AM.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

2mAn and Victell --- Are you guys sure about this? ....
                        ---

I like the idea of k20 mr2, k20 everything. But again with smog, hoping everything works out. K20 your current MR2? I still lust after a 2nd gen.
                        According to the ad, its already registered in California and has been since 2016, so he would've needed at least 2, maybe 3 smogs by now and again, according to the ad it doesnt need to be smogged. Lets just say the second half of your comment is the plan with that one.

My MR2 is already gone. I had started to pursue the BAR legal approach but I wouldve needed to essentially start from scratch and figured it would just be easier to just sell it and buy an already k20 swapped MR2. Those of you on Instagram, search @kmeachy and you'll see the one
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

How about an SVT Contour? They're great burnout machines, completely unloved in the market, and they have virtually no aftermarket support, but the rear seats fold, so they're super practical.

Comment

Cummins Turbo Diesel Swap
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Cummins Turbo Diesel Swap
                              Evinrude 2 stroke V8. Test the legal limits of smog exemptions.

Comment

Working...
                              X