Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social media and reddit are ruining everything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! No - this isn't "Get of my lawn" energy. It's "My-mouth-is-agasp-at-how-stupid-these-people-are" energy. Now, we were all stupid once - that goes without saying, so I give anyone slack. The issue comes from a question being asked, and someone with real knowledge of the situation answers it (such as the OP) - and then 1000 other noobs decide they don't like that answer, downvote it, and upvote the answer they want to hear. That's just retarded.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      Ha! No - this isn't "Get of my lawn" energy. It's "My-mouth-is-agape-at-how-stupid-these-people-are" energy. Now, we were all stupid once - that goes without saying, so I give anyone slack. The issue comes from a question being asked, and someone with real knowledge of the situation answers it (such as the OP) - and then 1000 other noobs decide they don't like that answer, downvote it, and upvote the answer they want to hear. That's just retarded.
      Woah, GG is back.

Comment

Forums are still so good for info retention and reference! Some of the threads can be long, and there's no guarantee that the info is right. Usually, misinformation is addressed by other posters if you read the whole thread. Also, if the story of the guy who 'poped' his tire and crashed into a house were posted on FB, it would be long gone by now. To read the story, here's the link. R3V members pooled money to send the homeowner a pizza and made a T-Shirt to celebrate the hilarity of it all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YkKCbtP.png
Views:	298
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	10107426
        R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
        └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

I feel like the quick serotonin hit from social media has become the norm for an internet thing. The slow pace of a forum just isn't how most people want to interact online anymore. I just appreciate the ability to document my builds and to research how other people have done things.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Maybe we all have to abandon the forums so another generation can rediscover how cool they are some time in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
              I feel like the quick serotonin hit from social media has become the norm for an internet thing. The slow pace of a forum just isn't how most people want to interact online anymore.
              That's exactly what it is.
              Social media feeds designed to keep you scrolling and engaged by targeting how your brain works.
              Same thing with modern media and movies.

It's destroying people's attention spans.

Comment

Just like I won't buy brake and engine parts from ePay nor Amazon,
                neither do I even try with social media and any level of expertise.
                It's for kitty pictures and finding out what your relatives ate (and drank) for dinner last night.

There are several academics far more intelligent than I
                who are pretty convinced that 'antisocial media' is going to be
                our version of Rome's lead pipes.

Me, I still frequent forums, and when our local CCA shut down their forums, I stopped sending money.

And you can walk on my grass, but don't try to SnapSplat me.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It's amazing how Facebook has ruined many car forums, forums are so much better place for that hobby than facebook and other social media platforms..

really sad..
                  BMW E30 M3 - S50B32
                  www.e30.is

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    Ha! No - this isn't "Get of my lawn" energy. It's "My-mouth-is-agasp-at-how-stupid-these-people-are" energy. Now, we were all stupid once - that goes without saying, so I give anyone slack. The issue comes from a question being asked, and someone with real knowledge of the situation answers it (such as the OP) - and then 1000 other noobs decide they don't like that answer, downvote it, and upvote the answer they want to hear. That's just retarded.
                    Yes. I'm just gonna say it, social media sites lack the amount of bullying that forums provided. I think it has been a huge detriment to our society, and I stand by that.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post

Yes. I'm just gonna say it, social media sites lack the amount of bullying that forums provided. I think it has been a huge detriment to our society, and I stand by that.
                      Time to replace those anti-bullying campaigns with pro-bullying campaigns.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                        Just like I won't buy brake and engine parts from ePay nor Amazon,
                        neither do I even try with social media and any level of expertise.
                        It's for kitty pictures and finding out what your relatives ate (and drank) for dinner last night.

There are several academics far more intelligent than I
                        who are pretty convinced that 'antisocial media' is going to be
                        our version of Rome's lead pipes.

Me, I still frequent forums, and when our local CCA shut down their forums, I stopped sending money.

And you can walk on my grass, but don't try to SnapSplat me.

t
                        You can find some cool shit on amazon that you wouldn't expect to be there. I bought a Thayer Motorsports differential 4-clutch upgrade kit about 3 years ago. I was kinda surprised to find it there.
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Pretty interesting perspective ... they also point out the benefits of forums over social media.

Go to https://ground.news/nutshell to get 30% off unlimited access to Ground News - a website and app that gathers the world’s news in one place so you can c...

Comment

Yeah social media has a lot of muck and wrong info to sort through, but so do forums.
                            For example, look at all the shit out there telling people to OBD1 swap M52s and M54s, delete DISA & VANOS, etc.

I think all the general groups - r/e30, any general e30 group on facebook, etc. are all full of basic googleable questions and bad answers.
                            The more niche groups have a lot of good info - E30 Forced Induction Crew, Boosted E36 world, the MS41 Romraider group that now has a fucked up name, etc.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

We really ought to just ban tiktok. Of all the social media platforms I've used tiktok is by far the most addicting, it's almost scary how much of a timesuck it is. The algorithm will figure out if I'm in a bad mood and queue up more depressing, cynical shit to reinforce it and make me feel worse, and I know I'm not alone in that because those videos have tons of views. And considering it's a chinese owned company it almost feels like psychological warfare to be wrecking our attention spans and make us feel like crap about everything.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                                social media sites lack the amount of bullying that forums provided.
                                You call it bullying, I call it shaming. Sometimes it's two sides of the same coin.

I think back to gym class - the runt of the litter, the small awkward guy in class always got a lot of "Come on man, are you a wimp or what? Do a pull-up! Come on man!" thrown at him. Some would say it was bullying, but looking back at it, it was more of a way to help the guy. He was underperforming to his own standards (not just ours), and we all needed to get him up to snuff - do his personal best - It wasn't to tear the guy down to nothing - it was to get him on the same page. The goal was to, of course, get laid and do well with the ladies, and we were just helping the guy out.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X