Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social media and reddit are ruining everything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    Big "get off my lawn" energy in this thread..
    It's safe to say that FB and reddit, are terrible in comparison, even with all the flaws we deal w here.

So yeah, get tf off my lawn lol.

It's not just the platform- its the people too albeit more on Reddit.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

We could laugh, or we could just look at that as a positive trend.
      My implication is more about how addictive social media is, which isn't good, so the youth has to actively create an activity designed around avoiding the temptation to use it. So it's good, yes, but funny that such a thing is even necessary nowadays. In line with this thread, social media does suck and should be avoided.. to a healthy level at least. Yes, go outside lol

Currently building a badass coffee table
      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

It's safe to say that FB and reddit, are terrible in comparison, even with all the flaws we deal w here.

So yeah, get tf off my lawn lol.

It's not just the platform- its the people too albeit more on Reddit.

Like I said, they all have pros and cons. Ask a simple question on Facebook, and you are likely to get answers within minutes-hours. Ask here, and it could be days.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Big "get off my lawn" energy in this thread.

All car-discussion mediums have their pros and cons. Forums are never going to return to what they once were, though they may make somewhat of a resurgence. Forums have their own issues are often plagued by dogma and misinformation that becomes canonical. I know I was very guilty of this close-minded rule of the forum in the E30Sport and early R3vlimited days. It may not be as prevalent around here anymore since people simply don't seem to care as much, and the forum has taken a sharp decrease in activity over the last handful of years.

"may make somewhat of a resurgence.." yes... that's what we're pointing out. Nothing "may" about it. I've been seeing a steady increase over the past year or so.

What you say is closed mindedness I see as vetted information. If FB's quick responses have proven anything, its that its a great way of getting a ton of bad advice from everyone who wants to think they're an expert. If the forum is closed minded, social media is the opposite; open minded to the point of being worthless. Some bad advice can sometimes seep in, but it's much less likely in comparison to social media.

Comment

Big "get off my lawn" energy in this thread.
            IMO this thread wasn’t as bad with that as the EV conversion thread that recently got resurrected. That one was bordering on “old man yells at cloud” energy. Over there it was getting close to hearing to Charlie Munger, a krusty old fuck nearing 100, saying he wants Crypto banned in the USA
            Last edited by ZeKahr; 10-19-2023, 05:28 PM.
            1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
            1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

IMO this thread wasn’t as bad with that as the EV conversion thread that recently got resurrected. That one was bordering on “old man yells at cloud” energy. Over there it was getting close to hearing to Charlie Munger, a krusty old fuck nearing 100, saying he wants Crypto banned in the USA
              Oof, this and the other responses are giving off "I can't handle a contrary opinion so I'll whine instead" cringe vibe.

I enjoy having colorful debate, it's fun... especially when at the end of the day, we're car guys.

Comment

Debating is good for you, as is playing "devil's advocate".
                Helps you to broaden your perspective.

As long as it doesn't devolve into personal attacks, which are just petty.

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post

"may make somewhat of a resurgence.." yes... that's what we're pointing out. Nothing "may" about it. I've been seeing a steady increase over the past year or so.

What you say is closed mindedness I see as vetted information. If FB's quick responses have proven anything, its that its a great way of getting a ton of bad advice from everyone who wants to think they're an expert. If the forum is closed minded, social media is the opposite; open minded to the point of being worthless. Some bad advice can sometimes seep in, but it's much less likely in comparison to social media.
                  It felt like earlier this year, this forum picked up a bit, but it seems pretty dead again lately. I wish I had access to analytics to see what the site has done over the last 10 years.

I don't believe there is an inherent quality difference in the answers you get on the R3v Facebook group versus the forum. There is good and bad information on both.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I browse forums and social media via desktop and cell phone. I find that on the desktop, I'm more likely to write a well thought out paragraph, insert links/images, search, fact check, etc. than when I'm browsing from my phone. It makes sense since I am sitting down at a desktop devoting my attention to what I am doing. When browsing from my phone however, I skim through posts and offer quick replies typically 1 or 2 sentences max as I don't nearly devote as much time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people these days use their phone over a desktop which is part of the reason forum activity has dropped and social media has taken over. This is also the reason why there's more misinformation out there as people are less likely to fact check before they post. Facebook posts are good for quick responses from many different people but beyond that the content gets lost quicker and some may not even see it. On the forums, you can vet users easier, see post counts, reputations, who has been around the block actively participating vs Joe Blow coming out of the woodwork offering his opinion.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You definitely wrote that reply from a desktop
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        lol

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Hey, how else am I going to burn my CD's?
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            I browse forums and social media via desktop and cell phone. I find that on the desktop, I'm more likely to write a well thought out paragraph, insert links/images, search, fact check, etc. than when I'm browsing from my phone. It makes sense since I am sitting down at a desktop devoting my attention to what I am doing.
                            That's a good point. I am exclusively a desktop user. Browsing a forum on a phone I just find claustrophobic. Can't easily open a bunch of tabs to switch back and forth between, too much of a pain to type out a long response, link things, upload photos, etc. I use my phone more like a swiss modern army knife, less like a PC replacement.

Comment

I have this forum bookmarked on my desktop and open it nearly every day. I don't browse every section, just ones of my interest, to see what's new.
                              I just like the feel of a big computer screen, and like Barry and rturbo said, I'm more inclined to write and double check things here, than if I were tapping on a little screen. My phone is pretty much reserved for Instagram and texting.
                              I think this train of thought is why social media overall has less quality substance; maybe people are less likely to put in a little more effort through a phone, which is where most people are spending their time.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Kick social media in the bin, it will make you happier. I dont have facebook, insta, twitter, reddit or anything and its great.
                                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                                84- E30 323i

Comment

Working...
                                X