I’m bored. Click on my poll

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster

    Ahem. A purist would install the most modern engine available in the chassis, so an M42.
    honda b18

    sell the s14 for $$$$$$$$$$$$$

    retire

    shit post on r3v 11h a day

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver
    A purist would m10 swap it
    Ahem. A purist would install the most modern engine available in the chassis, so an M42.

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    A purist would m10 swap it

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    m20 swap an M3

    Problem solved

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    I could definitely see owning an e30m3 with an s50/s52/s54 as a simple swap for more power, improved reliability, and lower maintenance costs. Swapping in a euro s50b32 or an s38 would feel more purist and would be super cool, but also comes with added costs that might be hard to justify.

    I'm stoked on my 2.7i build, I've always wanted to assemble a full engine - but damn, picking up an s52 to swap in would have been way more cost effective...

    Leave a comment:


  • DEV0 E30
    replied
    I've personally always loved the looks of the E30 M3, but have never seen the need to keep the S14 if I ever was able to get one. Hell even when I could have bought a few at cheap/reasonable prices 20 years ago --- I always thought I'd sell the S14 and go a non purist route. Nowadays with the price they are, I can't possibly fathom buying one - even if I had the money. But that shape? Those box fenders? I love all e30s, but it is something special. I know clones are absolutely heresy - but I did just pick up an 87is rolling shell I sold 10 years ago (title was still in my name) - it is stripped to nothing, some parts went missing over the years. I had the totally unrealistic brain wave that it could be an m3 clone. Has a removable core support I did 12ish years ago, and could be the anti-thesis to the touring. It could be the slowest build of the century, and if I slowly pieced together the panels or if somehow decided to spend like 15k on metal panels from that one company was a good idea... then there's that. Is it gonna happen? Almost for sure not, but there's that itch.

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    I always thought it would be cool to have an e30m3, but I've known for a decade that they cost too much. They're really cool for what they are, but they aren't practical for much. Too special/rare to street park or move large/dirty things (set of tires in the back seat). I'm sure they handle better than a standard e30 on a track or twisty road, but that's a very small subset of driving. My m30b35 swapped convertible may have been nose heavy, but it was fun to walk away from an e30m3 on the highway or keep up with the e24/e28s on curvy uphills. I'd take a modified "disposable" car over a precious car any day.

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster

    Would I own either? No. They're overpriced, with too many expensive parts, and a base model E46 will thrash either of them, while being the disposable modern appliance that it is.

    Then again, I did start off as a VW try hard with my worked 16v swapped, originally 8v GTI, that I thought was both good and cool at the time, so I'm not sure I can be trusted.

    These days I've realized that 2 wheels is just better for going fast for cheap.
    The average M3 buyer buys it for the look/prestige/nostalgia. Not to go fast. You last sentence sums up your view point though. If you want to go fast... you can have an older generation R1/CBR1000 for under $5,000 all day. Just don't kill yourself. I can agree though, as I own 3 motorcycles myself.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by varg

    Now hang on just a second here, I was one of the few who voted to keep it and fix it up just because it's interesting. And I've never driven an E30 M3 and probably never will.

    It is true that I don't get the appeal of M3s though not at current prices at least. They're more overpriced than FDs.​
    I've driven two examples of each. The 2.3-16s feel slow, as slow as a 318i, and it doesn't really wake up enough to compensate. The M3 feels more willing and a bit more powerful, but it's dead until it's driven hard. At least the M3 feels playful, where the MB doesn't.

    The hype around both cars is what makes them a disappointment. But I will say, the W201 feels more special from inside, and I think looks better overall.

    Would I own either? No. They're overpriced, with too many expensive parts, and a base model E46 will thrash either of them, while being the disposable modern appliance that it is.

    Then again, I did start off as a VW try hard with my worked 16v swapped, originally 8v GTI, that I thought was both good and cool at the time, so I'm not sure I can be trusted.

    These days I've realized that 2 wheels is just better for going fast for cheap.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster

    Who says we're not the same person?

    But seriously, all I have is contempt for those "hot" US W201s. I had a similar, but marginally better feeling when I first drove a stock US E30 M3.

    2.3-16s and E30 M3s are just a colossal dick tease, even at WOT.

    Might as well have an M42. /definitelynotvarg
    Now hang on just a second here, I was one of the few who voted to keep it and fix it up just because it's interesting. And I've never driven an E30 M3 and probably never will.

    It is true that I don't get the appeal of M3s though not at current prices at least. They're more overpriced than FDs.​

    Leave a comment:


  • Chilezen
    replied
    Who doesn't like having their bottom with a little grunt behind it?

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by varg

    Who says we're not the same person?

    But seriously, all I have is contempt for those "hot" US W201s. I had a similar, but marginally better feeling when I first drove a stock US E30 M3.

    2.3-16s and E30 M3s are just a colossal dick tease, even at WOT.

    Might as well have an M42. /definitelynotvarg
    very suspect

    But back to the point yeah, I have the same sentiment.

    6 cylinder grunt in base models is more enjoyable than their "high performance" counter part.

    heh heh heh

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy

    is that varg typing for toast???
    Who says we're not the same person?

    But seriously, all I have is contempt for those "hot" US W201s. I had a similar, but marginally better feeling when I first drove a stock US E30 M3.

    2.3-16s and E30 M3s are just a colossal dick tease, even at WOT.

    Might as well have an M42. /definitelynotvarg

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver

    Damn dude, you're not necessarily wrong, but damn. Did you have to go SO hard?
    is that varg typing for toast???

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster

    IMO, the buyer would be better off abandoning it after paying you.

    That 16v is markedly more disappointing than a stock S14, add an auto, bad paint, and you have yard art.

    I always really wanted to like those cars, but even the dog leg and nice seats can't save it.

    I wonder if they had a real management system if they would be fun?
    Damn dude, you're not necessarily wrong, but damn. Did you have to go SO hard?

    Leave a comment:

Working...