Official Sportbike/Crotchrocket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
    Well enjoy your stay in our beautiful state, you'll be pretty close to where they brew New Glarus beer.. Pick up some Spotted Cow and enjoy yourself!

I started on an old 600 and was perfectly fine. After that I bought 2 more 600s, and would recommend them to any responsible beginner. If someone is a reckless idiot they can easily get hurt on a 250.
    I'm 18 but I have a pretty good grip on being responsible. I don't speed in my car, and understand the consequences of speeding on a bike too. I'm sure I could handle a 600 as a first bike, but the ninja 250's are much more common on craigslist
    '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
    '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
    '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Comment

600ccs is alot of power the first time you hop on a bike. Not sure thats the ideal starting point.

That being said, 250 is enough to get yourself killed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastolizer View Post
        What is a good looking beginner bike that I could get for about $1,500-$2,000?
        sv650.. i dont know my kawis very well, but i know the 250s and 500s are good for starters.

Comment

I like those ninja 250's, they hold their value pretty well since a lot of beginners are always looking for them.
          If you have never been around bikes, they are a good thing to get through that "first drop". I've had a lot of tip overs during the years on my moped and dirtbikes, none yet on the street bike yet (knock on wood). It can happen to anyone, and dropping your cheapy beginner bike is usually easier to handle.

Although I started on a 600 (does 5 years of moped riding count? maybe not a 250 but it's something) I still don't recommend it. At 23 years old, I'm nowhere near mature enough. I try my best to never pass on a solid line, don't pound it in town/neighborhoods/traffic, and generally ride safe. But given the chance, I still go really fast, pop wheelies, sometimes try squidish "tricks" that are over my skill level, and generally a lot of stupid shit.

Sv650 is a decent bigger bike to start on, I'm surprised the older ones can be found around that price range (at least on kbb). Around here they wouldn't be that cheap :P

Comment

I've seen people start on brand new 600s and not drop them. I wouldn't go that route, but it's been done.

First bike I got on was an '85 ZL900: 900cc 550lbs. It was scary, but I figured it out after I laid it down slowly while trying to turn around in a parking lot (twice).

That being said, getting yourself in trouble is only half the problem. Half the time it's other people. My lifelong friend and roommate just got hit this last Saturday on his '07 600RR, some dumb bitch in an F150 didn't see him and took a left turn straight through him. He'll be ok, he's battered up and had to get surgery on his wrist. The last friend I lost due to some idiot (also a woman FWIW) pulling a U turn on the highway without looking was not so lucky.

Learn the basics, then learn to ride defensively. Get a slip-on or something, make sure you are LOUD so they can at least hear you coming. Even if you do not ride like a typical sportbike rider, even (especially) if you're stopped at a light, you are still in FAR more danger than if you were in a cage.

For what it's worth, I've ridden 4 or 5 different bikes, and due mainly to what has happened to others (once to myself) I've made the decision not to pursue motorcycles further. The human body is just not made to be traveling at 80mph, or even 35, without a big metal and leather cushion around it, and I'm not talking about helmets and gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastolizer View Post
              I'm 18 but I have a pretty good grip on being responsible. I don't speed in my car, and understand the consequences of speeding on a bike too. I'm sure I could handle a 600 as a first bike, but the ninja 250's are much more common on craigslist
              Then by all means start with whichever YOU are more comfortable with. I've had two friends start out on Ninja 250s, and I'm picking an 08 Ninja 250 friday for my GF. They're very easy to ride, and very light so they're easy to manuever around the city streets and any country back roads.

As long as its got 2 wheels and a motor, its a good choice ;)
              2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Ninja 250 or 500. Both great starter bikes that are forgiving. Cheap, reliable and easy riding position and learning curve. You really cant go wrong.
                1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                  Ninja 250 or 500. Both great starter bikes that are forgiving. Cheap, reliable and easy riding position and learning curve. You really cant go wrong.
                  I think I'll most likely end up with a Ninja 250 simply because they seem to be the most common bike in that price range that I can find
                  '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
                  '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
                  '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                    Learn the basics, then learn to ride defensively. Get a slip-on or something, make sure you are LOUD so they can at least hear you coming. Even if you do not ride like a typical sportbike rider, even (especially) if you're stopped at a light, you are still in FAR more danger than if you were in a cage.

It doesn't really help all that much with the approach, unfortunately. The sound comes out the back, and I can't usually hear them until they're practically right next to me when I'm on the highway with the stereo on.

I can only imagine how oblivious the average soccer mom / hockey dad is, on their phone, radio on, yelling at the kids to not spill their sodas on each other.

I ride as though any vehicle near me might suddenly decide to wipe me off the face of the earth, and it pays off.
                    While they may not do it on purpose, I have had people try to merge into me, both on my bike or in my car - even then the horn seems to confuse them.

I like to slow down early when coming to sudden stops, and hit the brake lights a few times to hopefully grab their attention before they plow right through me. Check your mirrors for fools that wait until they're 10ft away to notice you, react, hit the brakes and come up behind you sideways.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

+1 ^^^

I'm convinced the "loud pipes save lives" thing is a myth. The people most likely to not see or hear you are the ones with Lady Gaga blaring from their speakers, or the texting/talking teens driving 15 over the speed limit in mommy & daddy's car.

The best defense is a good defense, learn to watch out for those that aren't watching out for you :D
                      2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Well enjoy your stay in our beautiful state, you'll be pretty close to where they brew New Glarus beer.. Pick up some Spotted Cow and enjoy yourself!

I started on an old 600 and was perfectly fine. After that I bought 2 more 600s, and would recommend them to any responsible beginner. If someone is a reckless idiot they can easily get hurt on a 250.
                        Dude Spotted Cow is one of the best micro brews Ive had in the state. And Wisconsin is the only midwest state I like. I actually like coming here.
                        Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

+1 ^^^

I'm convinced the "loud pipes save lives" thing is a myth. The people most likely to not see or hear you are the ones with Lady Gaga blaring from their speakers, or the texting/talking teens driving 15 over the speed limit in mommy & daddy's car.

The best defense is a good defense, learn to watch out for those that aren't watching out for you :D
                          If you dump the exhaust right after the headers, it will help. You're right though, it has to be stupid loud for people to hear you, especially on the highway in a modern sound-insulated car.

Comment

Loud pipes wont pass inspection in Mass. Guess you'll just have to learn how to ride here instead of scaring everyone away.

Comment

250 is too slow. Im not joking. A 250 you'll be sorry you bought in a week when you've outgrown it. My first bike was a 600 and everyone who actually rides told me it was a perfect choice. Not every 600 is a supersport. A VFR750 is a lot easier to ride than a R6.

Comment

I have a friend that taught himself to ride on a ninja 250. After figuring it out and thrashing his 250 to bits, he bought a 650R, which seems to be about as fast as my KZ1000.

Yes, a 250 will be out grown easily, but if you're looking to pick up something on the cheap, it's hard to go wrong with one.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                                Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Working...
                                X