No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking to buy a sport bike, what do you suggest I look for when inspecting a used bike?

Specifically looking at triumph daytona 675 and Honda cbr600rr/f4i

*no this is not my first bike, just my first purchase
    m106 1990 e30
    e36 daily
    e32 cruiser

Comment

I've owned both the 600rr and the F4i. If you're looking for more low end power and comfort, go with the f4i. If you want more top end and a little sacrifice in comfort, go with the 600rr.

I personally liked my 600rr a lot more, the top end was nicer, comfort is still great (for a sportbike), and the undertail exhaust makes it look much cleaner :)
      2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
        I'm looking to buy a sport bike, what do you suggest I look for when inspecting a used bike?

Specifically looking at triumph daytona 675 and Honda cbr600rr/f4i

*no this is not my first bike, just my first purchase
        If you dont know , get a PPI from the best local shop you can take it to. Ive been a professional Ducati mech since the 90s and have too often seen POSs bought for good money. 675s are bad ass BTW.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
          If you dont know , get a PPI from the best local shop you can take it to. Ive been a professional Ducati mech since the 90s and have too often seen POSs bought for good money. 675s are bad ass BTW.
          You know anywhere I can find a salvage Duc 1098? I've been looking online, but every single site sounds sketchy as hell

Comment

Not right off. Your best bet is to hook up with someone that has access to or goes to insurance auctions. Thats where they all end up at first. After they leave auction the sketch factor goes up substantially!
            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Thats kinda what I figured :(

Most websites want you to put down some sort of deposit, then they go bid on the bike at the auction on your behalf. Not many bikes come around here for auction, and certainly no Ducs :(

Comment

Its very easy to total a 1098 cosmetically so there is a good possibility to get a mechanically good crashed bike. They actually crash pretty well because the frames are so narrow. If the bike hit or was hit hard the engine cases will crack where the mounting bolts go through . Check it out.
                Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

One major thing to inspect when looking at an f4i is the cam chain tensioner lifter. When it goes it sounds like a can of rattling BBs coming from the right side just underneath the tank. The noise is unmistakable. Its not a major problem and I have never heard of one causing significant damage but use it as a bargaining point. F4i's and RRs are great bikes and I dont believe you would be disappointed with either.
                  sigpic

Comment

Its very easy to total a 1098 cosmetically so there is a good possibility to get a mechanically good crashed bike. They actually crash pretty well because the frames are so narrow. If the bike hit or was hit hard the engine cases will crack where the mounting bolts go through . Check it out.
                    Cool, thanks for the info! I guess the hunt continues lol

After putting .75 miles on my friends 1098R I've been losing sleep wanting a Duc :D

Comment

They arent 600s, tho. A blueprinted 1098 with high comp pistons is mid 150s to the ground with an ass load of torque. Good times ! I hope you find one.
                      Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Checking out one of these, Yamaha YM-1, this weekend. Excited!

Comment

They arent 600s, tho. A blueprinted 1098 with high comp pistons is mid 150s to the ground with an ass load of torque. Good times ! I hope you find one.
                          I've been on a bunch of liter bikes, the latest was an 09 1000rr, it was a lotta fun, but after feeling the rawness of the Duc Vtwin, I knew from that moment on that I NEED one!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
                            I've been on a bunch of liter bikes, the latest was an 09 1000rr, it was a lotta fun, but after feeling the rawness of the Duc Vtwin, I knew from that moment on that I NEED one!
                            They do get under your skin.
                            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I love v twins, they dont rev as high, but the torque is addicting.
                              sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

^^ First Vtwin I ever rode was an 01 RSV Mille R, pulled a second gear wheelie going up an on ramp. I nearly shit my pants, I had no idea what to expect with the bike, the power delivery was so much different than the inline 4s I'd ridden. I'm no wheelie rider by any means, that bike was incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X