No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I guess I should mention that I hit a snow bank on my right, which caused a shattered headlight and dented the front portion of the hood right above the headlight. I thought the dent was the problem so I pressed it out and it still won't fully close, hopefully it is not anything serious. Fingers crossed that adjusting it will fix it!

Well I suppose I'll just post the whole story/pics cause why not:

I was up at a buddy's house in Waleska, GA (in the "mountains") and it started to snow so we went out to drive in the snow. I let my buddy lead the way since it was his place and I figured he would know where to go (or not go). Then my buddy tried to go through this 4-wheeler trail and got stuck, so I pulled him out and we kept driving around doing donuts and stuff like a couple of bad asses. Then I noticed that it was getting cold so I said we should head back to my friend's house. So he decides to go the shorter way, but neglects to mention that the short way is a long and steep hill that is closed off even in the rain (although he says he just didn't know the hill was there). So we drive past the 'road closed' signs and start going around the first left-hand bend. By the time I came out of that first turn my buddy was already halfway around the next turn about 60 yds down, and he was right in front of me when we went into the first corner. So he was hauling ass considering the conditions. When I came around the second turn I saw my friend's truck on its side and I will admit I had a panic moment and stabbed the brakes. Then I got off the brakes because the last thing I wanted was to slide into my buddy, so I steered around him and long story short the only way I could sufficiently stop was to put two tires off the road which pulled me into a snow bank. It was that or risk sliding down the rest of the hill. My buddy is alright, and so is his dog that was in the car, so no harm no foul I guess, but that entire situation could have and should have been avoided. I suppose some could say we should not have gone out in the first place but we rarely get snow, and when we do the gridlock is so bad you can't go anywhere. I had to enjoy it while I had the chance.

The snow on the ground was flung out of my homie's truck, the picture doesn't quite show how slushy and icy it was.

The tracks to the right are mine, you can see where I hopped into the bank. Judging from his tracks it looks like the back end stepped out and when it came back around it over-rotated. This was a pretty startling sight in the dark, I sure as hell wasn't expecting it haha
    Last edited by acolella76; 03-04-2015, 03:48 PM.
    -Alex

Comment

Recovery straps couldn't right him?

Comment

Yeah we flipped him back over, waited till the day after though. It was too slushy at the time to get enough traction.
        -Alex

Comment

I can see how that would enter into it. Time to invest in a snatch strap!

Comment

So looks like I'll be going to this. Apparently it's a great event. The guy I sold my M52 swap to almost has his S52/M52 hybrid torque monster built for his RRC and will be there. I'll be building up the D2 a bit for teh lulz.

http://www.roav.org/#!events/c199t
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

After driving 25 miles through 10" of snow & deep puddles of slush, I made it home to my unplowed driveway. It was SO happy and in its element in that stuff. I put the beast to bed for the night. Temperature plummeted overnight. I went out at 6AM the in my long underwear (it was a balmy -1F) to warm him up before heading to work. "Click" went the starter relay. "Click. Click. Click" Headlights were bright & all systems appeared to be go. "Click." (Sigh)

After 25 minutes of cursing and charging the battery, I decided to crawl underneath to see the situation. (I had donned pants AND a jacket by this point) I used a hammer to knock enough ice off the rockers to slide underneath. The entire right side of the engine (and therefore starter) was encrusted in a block of frozen slush, several inches thick. Bugger.

I ended up digging the Mercedes out and limped my way out of the driveway and the whole way to work. The temps had hit the low 30s by the afternoon. Once I returned home the Rover popped right off. Mrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Hrm that looks fun! If I can get the Disco to the point where I feel safe driving that far I'll be there. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rover enthusiasts in GA. Just a bunch of mall crawlers and bro-dozers that daddy bought.
                -Alex

Comment

It surprises me that Wintergreen will allow Rovers to go off road on the site. I stayed there in 2013 and they wouldn't let me ride my motorcycle past the guard gate because their policy is that since I wasn't a resident and they can't ensure my safety. (They claim they didn't want me to fall over, but I suspect canary yellow Wings didn't fit into their Lexus crowd) So I had to wait for someone to take us and our luggage 3 miles up the mountain, then call for a ride and wait for it to drive back up the mountain every time I wanted to leave the place.

Great views, but I'll never go back there. Ever.

Comment

Yeah, I've only really be through the area there. Massanutten is a much better resort, but I'm basing that on the fact that I've been to Massanutten...Erika's parents have a timeshare there.

IDK what trails they go on, but looks like some is up and down power line runs. There's also Shoe Creek and Big Levels in the vicinity.

Got my 1" spring spacers in yesterday....going to run those with D1 springs and my BFG Mud Terrains. Also will swap the CDL linkage from the RRC onto the D2 since the RRC is pulled apart. D2 should be pretty unstoppable. I've got some nice pieces of metal to make up some armor with as well. Should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                      Hrm that looks fun! If I can get the Disco to the point where I feel safe driving that far I'll be there. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rover enthusiasts in GA. Just a bunch of mall crawlers and bro-dozers that daddy bought.
                      There is a decent off-road group thats linked with one of the dealers, but I don't remeber which one. Still some bro-dozers (lol!) though, 1st mod snorkel dudes and whatnot.
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

BFGs on, 1" spacers on, oil changed, ladder on.

....almost ready.

Unfortunately the tires are the same aspect ratio as the old ones...but they're a 235 instead of 255....so the spring spacers basically make up for that....maybe I should just take the side steps off.

Comment

Haha, nice stickers

Comment

Nice D1 diesel for sale MT

This is a nice truck we've seen a lot around town. I believe he's had two nice D1s for a while, and I think an old 911. My son saw it parked with For Sale signs in the window - we did some searching, and here it is.

It's got all the goodies, and a professional diesel 300 tdi conversion with 5 speed. Dual batteries, Tru Trac lockers, the whole bit. Everything done well. It looks good, sounds good. Quite a truck, quite a price.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	7174114

Comment

Looks like a nice truck! Only think I don't like is the intake.

Comment

so where in MT are you Missoula
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X