No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I moved to FL and had to leave my Rover behind in OR, I have really been missing it. Maybe I will ship it down here haha. I have been craving an OM617 or Isuzu swap for quite a while now, maybe it will happen eventually

Bahama Beige E23 Project
    Bluebird Bus Conversion
    New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by ranxerox
      My son has been using my '88 for a delivery job. He still lives here in town but I feel anxiety not being able to see it at least once a day.

What year is yours?
      I have an '89 SWB. A little rough exterior wise but it's perfect for what I wanted. I was going to diesel/manual swap it and use it for a daily/parts runner but I moved suddenly and had to leave it behind. It's parked in my old shop in Sherwood just waiting for more love. I had just got the new suspension/wheels/tires on it too haha

Bahama Beige E23 Project
      Bluebird Bus Conversion
      New Oregon Trail

Comment

Need to find pictures of my pops 95 Discovery. Black on tan, 5 speed with the DiscoII 4.6, new billy shocks, lowering springs, beefy sways, cam, chip, free flowing cat with a borla exhaust out back, this thing is a fucking beast and obd1. The high tail lights of Disco IIs suck.
        Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Look into a 602 or 603. Lighter, makes better power, takes mods better. I'm debating about swapping a 602 into my first gen runner and talked to guy who who swapped a 603 into his FJ60 that claims better mileage, more power and lighter than the 2f or 3f that was in it.

I know as a benz guy I find the 602 lasts almost as long with nothing more than a timing chain rolled in and has much better power. The 603's will flat move.

Comment

Shit, I've had 2 603's with over 250 on them clanking happily along and both were over fueled. The lower ends are almost identical to the 606 except for the rods and other than rolling in a chain every 100K or so, no issues.A lot of that is because all the ones that cracked heads on the 3.0 and bent rods in the 3.5 have long since been fixed or melted into Yaris's.

The weak link on both is the timing chain. Just roll in a new one every 100K and roll.

Better low end power, faster spool, better fueling, quieter, leak less and in general that family plays nicer than the 615/7 family.

If you want real power, swap in a mechanical converted pump 606 and put a few pump mods, a HX35 and big exhaust on it. Easy 400 horse and depending on pump timing, somewhere in the 650 lb/ft zone.

Same bottom end as the 603 but 24v head with better fueling dur to centerline IDI rather than offcenter IDI.

On all 3 the powerband is a lot like a "low end grunt" gasser, peak power around 3500 and max rpm around 5500. The weight savings and better metallurgy in blocks alone makes them more attractive.

I own a MB specialty shop, beleive me, the 617 is a damn good mill but better suited in a 4 runner than a rover.

Comment

Wait wait wait wait.

....400hp, 650tq?

My interest is piqued.

This keeps getting better and better....

EDIT: my only question, what is everyone doing with the oil pans on the OM engines? They are front sump, no? Will they just hang in there and not interfere with the front axle articulation? This is what has been keeping me from delving into a B35 for my truck. M52 has a rear sump.
              Last edited by slammin.e28; 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM.
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

4BT does not vibrate that terribly, if you put adequate motor mounts on it. A simple hockey puck-style is a recipe for disaster. I went with some hydraulic mounts from GM 3.8 V6 applications. Yes, the mirror vibrates at idle, but it is rather smooth, actually.

Comment

Success story:

I drove mine across a field on Saturday. Meanwhile, my brother's YJ blew its TC pulling away from a stoplight.

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                    Success story:

I drove mine across a field on Saturday. Meanwhile, my brother's YJ blew its TC pulling away from a stoplight.
                    Lol, reminds me, DDing mine for the past few weeks problem free.

Friend's 4.0 XJ dropped to 4psi oil pressure on the interstate the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                      Since I moved to FL and had to leave my Rover behind in OR, I have really been missing it. Maybe I will ship it down here haha. I have been craving an OM617 or Isuzu swap for quite a while now, maybe it will happen eventually
                      You on PURPOSE moved to Florida? Someone offer you 500K a year or something?

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                        Success story:

Success story:

Replaced the starter, replaced stripped, allen bolts with hex bolts, truck fires like a dream now.

Still more reliable than the E30.
                        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I'd be happy with just 300tq. Don't want to go crazy, but a diesel seems like the easiest way to achieve that number.

Also, Rover fail. ****ing LF window regulator came apart, again, and smashed the rail between the arms and the glass. I hate how these things are put together.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                            You on PURPOSE moved to Florida? Someone offer you 500K a year or something?
                            Yes, as crazy as it sounds. Job offer here at a friends business was too tempting to pass up. Alot of opportunity to grow here. I am already getting used to the nice FL weather though haha

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                            Bluebird Bus Conversion
                            New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                              Yes, as crazy as it sounds. Job offer here at a friends business was too tempting to pass up. Alot of opportunity to grow here. I am already getting used to the nice FL weather though haha
                              Wait for the waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles bugs to come out....

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                                Wait wait wait wait.

....400hp, 650tq?

My interest is piqued.

This keeps getting better and better....

EDIT: my only question, what is everyone doing with the oil pans on the OM engines? They are front sump, no? Will they just hang in there and not interfere with the front axle articulation? This is what has been keeping me from delving into a B35 for my truck. M52 has a rear sump.

Cut and flip, build pickup tube, tig together. Done. Reversing the sump is easy enough. I've not shoved one into a Rover yet but, my rolling superfund clean up sight just might be getting the 603 sitting in that 126 out back. If it does I'll be doing a pan flip and eliminating the extension on what started out as the passenger side and adding a external oil cooler ala 617.

How dependable are the 606's?
                                Thanks by the way for the diesel expertise, There so much cotradictory info out there, and I am too often one of the sources. It's good to get the straight dope.
                                The 606 is damn near bulletproof. The weak link stock is the silly electrically controlled IDI pump and even sillier plastic lines. Once converted to a 603 mechanical pump they are fine. You just have to choose vacuum shut off or electric shutoff (think 6bt 12v style shut off)

The only other thing I've seen a 606 do is break off glow plugs on removal do to carbon build. If you swap a set in every 100K or so they do fine. One other advantage is the pin drive vacuum pump instead of the old school roller/cam drive of the earlys which can ruin your month if it drops a roller. The 603 runs that style pump. I've not tried to swap a 606 timer/pump gear into a 603 yet but dimensionally they are the same. You even use the same timing chain link when you roll in a chain. The blocks are about the same so odds are, you could shove a 606 timer gear and vacuum pump into a 603 easily enough.

They cut and weld them some even beat them in until they clear.
                                That race engine probably gets rebuilt after every race and by a team.
                                I personally like the idea of super reliability.
                                I just started my 300d (om617) after it's been sitting since '06 it has close to 400k on it, and that was with the diesel that was still in it. It is slow I forgot how grandmotherly it is. the 123 chassy is pretty heavy and that motor idles it up my driveway(very slowly).
                                I probably have driven 5k miles in the rangie over the last 4 years so a long lasting engine isn't that important and probably could go for some sexy power. Any of those newer 5cyl or 6cyl turbod would be nice.

on a side note is it true that words are censored now? if so why is there still a emote thingy that has a sign that says "who gives a ****"?:wgaf:
                                strange logic

Alloy pan Bro, I think a hammer might end badly.

617 runs a dual pan, upper is alloy, lower is tin. I would think a tin pan could be made for either one tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X