No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed my radiator two weeks ago, kind of a pain in the ass and there is definitely some goofy stuff going on in there. I hate the little tabs that hold the oil and trans coolers onto the radiator.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I got my Ultra Gauge today and mounted it up!

I just used some double sided tape, a piece of bent metal, and of course - zip ties! It's crude but it works and it was free.

I like the location, easy to see and it isn't super obvious to anyone walking by.

So now I've gotta fix my trouble codes. P0440, P0154, P0455. I've already got a new O2 and purge valve on the way, don't know yet what I'm going to do about that last code.

Also I'm going to look at making a lever or something for the CDL. I like the aftermarket kits out there, but the OEM look isn't worth several hundred dollars to me.

Also I think it's time to do the brakes. Anybody have any suggestions on pads?
      Last edited by acolella76; 04-11-2015, 01:31 PM.
      -Alex

Comment

hit up carpart.com and look for wrecking yards with 2004 Disco's... I called a bunch and got the entire linkage for around 100 bucks

Comment

Rovers @ Wintergreen 2015....

or, Destroying a perfectly good $650, 2001 Disco 2

Truck was a basically perfect 2001 Discovery 2. I ruined it.

This beast has my old M52 from my Range Rover in it....but with a better exhaust and 3.2L block. It was so fantastic.

Vid of Ben driving my truck through a rock garden.

I'm hooked. Time to lift and armour up.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Well it looks like my rover is fully fucked. Started overheating (205*-210*) on my way home. I was in a pretty bad area so I thought I could just get by and limp it home. Well it hit 239* when I pulled into my driveway. I'm letting it cool down to investigate the leak, but I imagine the motor is done for. I'm going to go hang myself now...
            -Alex

Comment

Mines been that high, lol.

Here's to no damage done.

Was a point where mine was running down the highway at 230....then I did the diesel t-stat. Brought em down to ~203 hwy.

Comment

Yikes lol the cooling system was due for an update, I guess the car was telling me it's time. Hopefully it's not the head gaskets but I doubt it since they've been replaced. I'll do the diesel tstat and maybe a big ol electric fan. Gotta make sure it doesn't over heat again in the summer.
                -Alex

Comment

Any idea what happened? Mine has overheated pretty well a few times and I haven't done headgaskets yet @ 165k miles. I have replaced water pump and radiator in the last 5k miles. I think I need to do the timing cover gasket as well, I seem to have a small leak from there.

I just want to do an m62 swap really. Slammin, is that do-able? I think an M62 6-speed DII would be pretty alright
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Not yet sure what happened, the engine bay is pretty wet from all the rain so it's hard to tell. Doesn't look like a hose blew up, but the area around the reservoir is exceptionally wet. So I think coolant started shooting out of the overflow for some reason, or the res is leaking.

I would love an M62 swap. I'm sure it could be done if you ditch 4WD or use a combination of bellhousings and such. I've read M70 swaps are doable... but who would want TWO M20s? That's kind of going the opposite direction...
                    -Alex

Comment

Why do you guys get all excited about head gaskets? The top end set is like 250 bucks and is likely about as hard as doing a timing belt on a m20. People limping rovers around with over heating problems is why these trucks suck in the first place.

If you want a m62 just buy a mk3 Rangie

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                        Why do you guys get all excited about head gaskets? The top end set is like 250 bucks and is likely about as hard as doing a timing belt on a m20. People limping rovers around with over heating problems is why these trucks suck in the first place.

Because doing a HG usually isnt a day job on a rover, especially on a v8 model.
                        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

To be fair, if its a rover v8, they aren't the easiest engines to work on. Clearance at the rear of the driver side head is nonexistent, the valley pan takes art and luck to get sealed properly, and the heads warp if you look at them funny, so you can add the cost of machine work to your head gasket job.

It's especially frustrating if you are cursed with sai. Those tubes are a nightmare to disconnect without crumbling apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                            To be fair, if its a rover v8, they aren't the easiest engines to work on. Clearance at the rear of the driver side head is nonexistent, the valley pan takes art and luck to get sealed properly, and the heads warp if you look at them funny, so you can add the cost of machine work to your head gasket job.

It's especially frustrating if you are cursed with sai. Those tubes are a nightmare to disconnect without crumbling apart.
                            I still disagree that a rover v8 is a "hard" engine to work on, it is a 1960's design. If you're having clearance issues just pull the motor mounts, I have never needed to on a Discovery 1s but its very simple to do. Any of the engines that people offer up as possible alternatives - bar a TDi which is likely the most anti-climactic "swap" of all time. or perhaps a LS motor (which never get done anyway) are infinitely harder to work on.

Doing timing chain guides/vanos on a m62 is more traumatic and more expensive than a head swap on a rover v8. Anyone is an average set of tools can pull the rover heads on a Saturday take them to the machine shop on a Monday and put it back together the following weekend. Or buy a set of recon heads from the likes of Will Tillery and get the whole job done (or very close) in a weekend.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with James.

Super super simple to work on. It's a 1960s pushrod V8....it's really no different from a SBC in that regard.

M70 is more bolt in than an M6x. Trust me...

Comment

I have some parts for a 4.6 if anyone is interested
                                Also
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X