No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also can you get a new bolt relatively easily it may be worth cutting mashing and buggering up a 10 dollar bolt to get it out with less frustration than trying to keep it serviceable, as you have heat treated it and likely removed some or all of its spec'd strength as a critical suspension component fastener
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Not trying to save it. New bolt and nut on the way.

Comment

good deal that makes its much easier, and less of a PIA.

post up what you did to get freed up, I am always intrested on how people solve stuff like this to file away for future use if need be
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Turned out pretty easy. Generic DeWalt rental sawzall, with my Diablo carbide tipped blade.

We only had it high enough to take off the wheel, and then collapsed the suspension, so we couldn't raise it higher safely. That meant we couldn't hold the saw horizontally and get at the bushing and push down. I had to be on my back with my left forearm pushing up on the blade and my right middle finder hooked in the trigger upside down.

Zip zip, went right through.

I didn't want to bugger up the welded and machined bosses on his control arms, so I pushed the blade tight to the strut and cut all the way through the steel bushing and bolt together. Took the paint off the blade, but no discernible wear on the teeth.

Control arm looking straight up. Forward is up in the pic. CV boot not far away, so careful with heat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	under strut.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	9906302

Forward side of bushing much narrower.

Name:	strut forward.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	9906303

Bolt head recessed in arm.

Name:	bolt head.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	9906304

Nice tidy mushroom.

Name:	mushroom.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	9906305

That's a rust drip of PB after days of soaking. No movement at all.

Name:	strut bushing.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	9906306

Comment

The rear side...ZING!

Name:	cut red.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	9906311
            The forward side...thin-sliced roast beef!

Name:	thin slice.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	9906312

The short bit of bolt head fell out of here, but the rest is bonded for good.

Name:	thin slice 2.JPG
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	9906313

Name:	head cut.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	9906314
            Just for fun, we pounded on this bolt with a big punch and a sledge to see if we might have broken the bond - zero movement. It was never coming out.

Name:	strut cut.JPG
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	9906315

Comment

5 pics per post it says.......

Click image for larger version  Name:	bolt + sleeve.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	9906317

Click image for larger version  Name:	bolt glove.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	9906318

Shiny new bolt. Nut appears to be the oval self-locking type. We cranked it on with the impact. Book says 184 ft-lbs, so we were close with our Harbor Fright. Buttered the sleeve and the bolt with anti-seize.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	New bolt.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	9906319

This...is what you need.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Diablo.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	9906320

It was fun to put the fuses back in and fire it up. It pumps up quick! Usually more rear first, then the fronts level up. The compressor went off in a couple of minutes, and that's from completely empty. It used to run for a few blocks after you warmed it up. So that strut had to be leaking, and it's hard to find because the bellows folds down over itself, and often covers up the leak and pushes it shut. And you don't drive around in high mode with the struts extended - I think at 25 or 30 it automatically lowers back to normal height.

​​​​​​​If it starts to droop in a week, we'll be pissed.
              Last edited by LateFan; 02-17-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

OHHH I Didnt know the control arm was "hollow" on the underside, I assumed there was a flat bit of steel boxed across the bottom, (if you mentioned that I must have missed that part) that would not have allowed semi easy access to cut that SOB out. You defiantly did the right thing, and I would have likey done it the very same way, or maybe used a wizz wheel cutter. Great job and glad to see you got it all handled this weekend and everything thing went well

William Pitt-

Comment

Name:	LR-print.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	9908380

Comment

Name:	NAS-Defender-110.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	9909503

Comment

The new Defenders are being tested by journalists in Namibia in Africa. They can't release any driving information until the end of March per some marketing timing agreement with LR.

I'm not fully endorsing this new one yet, and I don't like to sound like a fanboi, but there are some things I think will be impressive when actual testing gets published. I read that they are over 10 times stiffer than the old Defender, and 3 times stiffer than any body on frame vehicle they've ever produced. They took their newest aluminum chassis design, which will be shared with some new Discoveries I think, and beefed it up for stiffness, strength, and durability. The subframes are way heavier, control arms, everything. The body control and traction control for crawling around are impressive, and locking diffs. It'll cruise though 3 feet of water. It has skid plates. It can lift itself up to over 11" of clearance. I saw a video of one teeter-tottering on opposite corner tires, and the doors opened and shut like on flat ground. No twist.

They'll never cut into the market share of Toyota in out of the way places, but there apparently is a simpler, coil spring version for sale in third world markets. You can order a base model with steel wheels and Duratrac tires and fabric seats (but...for 50 grand).

There's no way to really compare the old and new, it's not apples to apples. The old ones are 50's, 60's tech - essentially a tractor like a Unimog. The new one is a mass produced, highway-comfortable, capable off-roader with quiet and safety.

So, we'll see. It'll be interesting to see real off-road tests by the magazines. Still a really expensive car though. I saw some new spy shots of the new Bronco yesterday, and it looks fairly small and no nonsense. Not sure which engines - I assume a turbo 4. The Defender has a bunch of engines around the world, but I think we'll get a 4 and a straight 6 in the US.

Name:	IMG_5365.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	9909988

I think the exterior cargo box is silly. Maybe useful..?

Name:	IMG_5366.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	9909989

Name:	IMG_5367.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	9909990

Name:	IMG_5368.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	9909991

Comment

Motor Trend comparo of Defender and Jeep Rubicon - just specs to specs, no actual testing yet. Interesting - digital vs analog.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...ngler-rubicon/

For the James Bond stunt, it says all they did was add a roll cage inside.
                        https://www.motoring.com.au/new-land...rashed-122898/

What is a loaded semi doing in a dry riverbed full of sand? Or maybe that's the only flat place to drive...? Funny, these are the press cars out in Africa.
                        https://www.motoring.com.au/new-land...ruckie-123192/

EDIT - Video here......
                        26K views, 61 likes, 14 loves, 5 comments, 197 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Damian Blakemore: International Rescue, New Defender style. The driver and his truck had been stuck in this dry...
                        Last edited by LateFan; 03-08-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Here's what I want! A FOUR door, Heritage green, white-topped, manual, 4 cyl, 110 for sale. I thought the Heritage models were all D90s, I've never seen a 110. The last handful of Defenders off the production line got one of four trim packages as collectors items. The Heritage was an old school pale green with steel wheels, painted grills, and galvanized bumpers. They look a lot like old Series LR's.

850,000 Namibian dollars is $54,000. Too bad if you brought it here they'd seize it.

I like it. Paint the wheels LR white and get rid of the side steps.

Name:	7ad7b18cc7313575c0d2e931c6f37a64.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	9910220

Heritage models -

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	9910221

Name:	5ac5d1ed1fd0903bdd06329b8829752a.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	9910222

Name:	Coolnvntage+Land+Rover+D90+Heritage+(151+of+176).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	9910223

Comment

Name:	Nuovo Defender mud.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	9910345

Comment

Somebody out on the innerwebs photoshopped an idea for cleaning up the nose and making round headlights like an old Series or Def.... I kinda like it.

Name:	Def idea.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	9912375

Here's the built-in winch on the new Defender....

Name:	Defender winch.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	9912376

Comment

Looks like the headlights on the Jeep Latitude to me

Comment

Working...
                                X