Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post pictures of your most recent purchase

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Copper standing seam is probably my #1 choice for a money-no-object roof choice. Slate would be up there too.
    2000 A4 1.8TQ | 1988 325is | 1976 280Z | 1953 CJ3B

    Comment


      Originally posted by george graves View Post
      I hope not slab on grade. Although I've seen that too. I try to keep my heating bills to a minimum. But some people just want don't give a rats ass! Let's heat the earth core while we're at it! :) (I kid, I kid)
      Definitely with rigid insulation underneath when tied to rebar as in above.
      I have to agree it is odd having foam under there, although the footings are poured independent of the floor in the homes I have been working on.

      That shop sounds like it turned out really nice Kershaw, just can't have enough light when wrenching. Congratulations, construction is perseverance.

      New ebay winch on old craigslist trailer.

      Comment


        Some good points from some of you that are actually in the know. Thanks.

        I do love the idea of a metal roof. Copper prices are getting high. Zink(coated tin?) is cool and all, but the idea of a 100 year roof I think is a selling point - or a boying point to me. I guess it depends on the climate.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

        Comment


          Das RHEINZINK, Yah! For to put your Bee Emm Vey inside and dry!

          https://www.rheinzink.us/systems/zin...utter-systems/

          Comment


            It seems pretty standard to insulate the concrete pad when doing radiant heat. One thing to note is that the construction isn't slab on grade, it's a pole barn. So the structure won't have any issues if something were to happen to the insulation. That said, I have never even heard of anyone having an issue with it. I could jackhammer it out and reinstall it if there was a problem in 50 years. Originally i wasn't going to insulate the dirt under the slab, but my mom is a "green" architect and harped incessantly about it. I'm sure it helps, but it was also a lot of effort to do. It's clad entirely in 22ga steel I think. I paid for the sound dampening material layer, but it's still pretty loud in there when it rains.

            Also the boiler is electric, not gas. I don't have gas at my house so getting gas installed would not have been cost efficient.
            AWD > RWD

            Comment


              Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              Copper standing seam is probably my #1 choice for a money-no-object roof choice. Slate would be up there too.
              asphalt roofing really is a scam with its 20 and 30 year guarantees. ive used various metal roofs on a couple projects and i like them a lot. installation costs are stratospheric so i always install metal myself.

              as to the slate, there is no reason to use the actual material today unless you can reclaim it from another building at a very cheap cost.

              there are actually a few companies that make rubber tiles that look like slate. they are really a better material and the look like the original. you never have to worry about them breaking when a piece of ice drops down from a higher roof line. dont get me wrong. they are still pricey, but much cheaper than stone and they literally will last forever.

              https://youtu.be/QBVbrHflk0M
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

              88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

              Comment


                Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                asphalt roofing really is a scam with its 20 and 30 year guarantees. ive used various metal roofs on a couple projects and i like them a lot. installation costs are stratospheric so i always install metal myself.

                as to the slate, there is no reason to use the actual material today unless you can reclaim it from another building at a very cheap cost.

                there are actually a few companies that make rubber tiles that look like slate. they are really a better material and the look like the original. you never have to worry about them breaking when a piece of ice drops down from a higher roof line. dont get me wrong. they are still pricey, but much cheaper than stone and they literally will last forever.

                https://youtu.be/QBVbrHflk0M
                Asphalt roofing is partly kicking the can, and partly being cheap. Personally, I'd like to see it go away entirely as it is an ongoing insurance claim nightmare and a significant hazard to workers, both in manufacturing/distribution and in installation.

                OTOH, if the building to get a new roof has any sort of fuckery about the roof lines or general framing the elasticity of asphalt shingles is about the only good choice in the current marketplace. That said, synthetic (normally plastic) slates/tiles, and metal (standing seam, stamped slate/tile simulating panels and traditonal shingles) are awesome if you can work with the up front costs or finance it in a way that makes sense. Natural slate and ceramic tile of several types no longer make any sort of practical sense due to cost and maintenance cycles IMO.

                Basic takeaway, I'd be satisfied to see non-laminated shingles disappear tomorrow, with their typical 15-20 year practical services lives.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  asphalt roofing really is a scam with its 20 and 30 year guarantees. ive used various metal roofs on a couple projects and i like them a lot. installation costs are stratospheric so i always install metal myself.

                  as to the slate, there is no reason to use the actual material today unless you can reclaim it from another building at a very cheap cost.

                  there are actually a few companies that make rubber tiles that look like slate. they are really a better material and the look like the original. you never have to worry about them breaking when a piece of ice drops down from a higher roof line. dont get me wrong. they are still pricey, but much cheaper than stone and they literally will last forever.

                  https://youtu.be/QBVbrHflk0M
                  Yeah I've heard of the faux slate stuff. It's alright, and it'd probably a better roof, but I just like the real deal. I know slate is kinda brittle, and also heavy, but it just looks so good. I generally prefer natural building materials.
                  2000 A4 1.8TQ | 1988 325is | 1976 280Z | 1953 CJ3B

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                    Yeah I've heard of the faux slate stuff. It's alright, and it'd probably a better roof, but I just like the real deal. I know slate is kinda brittle, and also heavy, but it just looks so good. I generally prefer natural building materials.
                    Check out Matterhorn from CertainTeed, Brava Roof Tile and DaVinci Roofscapes. The first is just metal, and looks excellent, and the others are effectively plastic.

                    Comment


                      Finally, upgrade my ratchet set. I have had the same ones for 14 years, they still work well, but I wouldnt call them the best quality. Upgraded to 12 and 6 point Proto American Made set. 205 total sockets pieces, excited for this!


                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus

                      Comment


                        AWESOME FOR YOU...... Proto is very good stuff, the industrial equivalent to Mac tools and Stanley tools TOP Tier.

                        Get your self a couple variants of proto precision 90 tooth ratchets, The are are kinda pricey but normally can be found for around 100 bucks. Mac has the same thing but only come with a plastic grip area, the Proto variant is ALL Stainless. Wife got me a 3/8's with the long 13inch handle for Xmas and its FANTASTIC
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville


                        The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

                        Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          AWESOME FOR YOU...... Proto is very good stuff, the industrial equivalent to Mac tools and Stanley tools TOP Tier.

                          Get your self a couple variants of proto precision 90 tooth ratchets, The are are kinda pricey but normally can be found for around 100 bucks. Mac has the same thing but only come with a plastic grip area, the Proto variant is ALL Stainless. Wife got me a 3/8's with the long 13inch handle for Xmas and its FANTASTIC
                          I didnt post a pic but I do have the proto 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" rachets as well.

                          I have a hook up at SBD :) its where I got all my Dewalt stuff too. I do want some ratcheting wrenches though, I have some westward stuff now which has served me well, but that is next on the list.
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus

                          Comment


                            Nice set - it would be a shame if you lost that 10mm :) I kid.

                            Picked up a set of sailboat winches at a BOGO sale (buy one get one free sale). Lewmar Evo series - 2 speed, self tailers. You can take them apart to service them in 60 seconds. reassembly is just as fast. Top of the line stuff. Amazing machining, and quality control - it's like a swiss watch for a sailboat.




                            Last edited by george graves; 04-03-2019, 04:22 AM.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                              Finally, upgrade my ratchet set. I have had the same ones for 14 years, they still work well, but I wouldnt call them the best quality. Upgraded to 12 and 6 point Proto American Made set. 205 total sockets pieces, excited for this!


                              What did this setup cost you?

                              Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                                What did this setup cost you?

                                Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                                The list is $1100, I cant say what I paid, but it wasnt that :)
                                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X