Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
    FYI for any fellow Canadians, NCIX closed up all remaining retail locations and filed for bankruptcy today. It seems the website is still accepting orders but I have real strong doubts that anything is going to get filled. The general impression from some people is that the head office may have locked out all employees as no form of customer service was in action today, including the recently returned lead of the forum.
    oh man that sucks. Back in the day, before Amazon really got into the game, NCIX was the main other option if you didn't use newegg. Well them and Tiger Direct. It is tough times indeed for brick and mortar retail, especially for niche markets. I went out the other day to go to Radio Shack, and was shocked to see a Sprint Store :sad: Seems 95% of them closed a few months back...

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
      If anyone wants to play Rainbow 6 Siege or Escape from Tarkov, WOW, etc feel free to add me.

Steam: 'Rohki' or 'Liechengsos'
      Uplay: 'Rohkii'
      BNET: 'Rohki#1600'

sent you one on steam. do you play PUBG?

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
        sent you one on steam. do you play PUBG?
        Nah If I played BR more I'd play fortnite, PUBG is going to die sometime in the next year. I don't trust bluehole at all because they shit on their community and talk about updates that never happen.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

I play pubg
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Finally...

But can it run Crysis?
            Looks like after 10 years, we can finally run everything @ 4K on Ultra specs.

But as a performance analysis with 2017 hardware shows, it continues to punish even modern GPUs.

and it still requires a $1000 GPU. Crazy stuff!

Anyone else catch the release this week of a $3K GPU from Nvidia? The Titan V

Comment

Just picked this little guy up...

If you are looking for a nice portable ultrabook... this is a pretty darn good deal:

Dell XPS 13 for $749

Dell XPS 13

comes with the revised Kaby Lake 15W mobile quad core, 10+ hrs of battery life, and can be upgraded pretty easily with a higher capacity SSD. Looks like it is Microsoft store only, but I have been hearing of a lot of success locating in store.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                I play pubg
                me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy101 View Post
                  Looks like after 10 years, we can finally run everything @ 4K on Ultra specs.

But as a performance analysis with 2017 hardware shows, it continues to punish even modern GPUs.

and it still requires a $1000 GPU. Crazy stuff!

Anyone else catch the release this week of a $3K GPU from Nvidia? The Titan V
                  There is a guy on OCN with four Titan Vs on a dual x99 board with a paid of xeon v4 2699s. It is pretty sick to say the least.
                  sigpic
                  Gun control means using both hands
                  Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    I play pubg

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                    me too.
                    Steam names?

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                      Steam names?
                      omarmountain
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

So I've been looking for a dirty cheap(<$400), ultra-portable laptop to throw in a messenger bag and lug around school all week. It would be for basic shit, but I also need a laptop to run solidworks once a week, so that threw a huge wrench in that.

Now, I haven't really been up on technology since I was a teenager, so it blew my mind when a friend whipped out a surface tablet and brought up solidworks over RDP from his desktop at home.
                        I used RDP with browser based programs at my old job and it was laggy, buggy, and just fucking terrible overall, so it blew my mind when it logged in in a few seconds and there was no lag or delay with it. He went a step further and did the same thing through his phone to show me it was possible a minute later...

My last desktop used an AGP ATI X800, just to give some frame of reference... so I have no idea what I even need, but I really want to build a desktop to do this with, and buy a shit laptop/tablet and have virtually nil consequences if it is stolen/lost/broken.

Anyone have experience with this? How overkill of a desktop do I need?
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Honestly just need to get us a budget, If you have peripherals you can use already that saves a good amount of build cost.

A really good PC that can max games and do real shit is like ~$800-900 when GPU and RAM prices are not at meme levels.

If you just want something that can run and render things in solidworks well you could probably keep it down to $500-600
                          willschnitz

Comment

How complex of assemblies are you going to be working with in solidworks? That's where solidworks really takes a massive shit. I've maxed out 16gb of ram with large assemblies and gotten close with 32gb of ram. I would definitely focus more on CPU power for solidworks but I wouldn't discount the GPU. I'm not sure exactly how GPU scaling works with solidworks, but from my experience, having just a semi-decent GPU will be fine.

With that being said, if you find yourself having to be more mobile with your solidworks work, I would just get a decent laptop to handle it vs using rdp. I'm just not a huge fan of relying on rdp to do work.

Maybe look for something used, similar to this:

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

the big problem is portability. A 14" or less laptop that's really thin is hard to find, but something that can run an RDP is cheap as hell.

Probably wouldn't be making much in the way of assemblies. Biggest thing would be our FSAE car, but 99% of the time it would be for classes/homework in between classes, or super basic shit in design class. My laptop now runs solidworks alright, but it's massive and I'm too lazy to carry it everywhere.

I was so surprised with the lack of any lag my friend's(not really my friend, but my new electrical systems lead) setup had on his surface (and his phone), RDPing SW to it. There was less lag/delay than I get running it on my laptop now. That laptop you linked is barely better in specs than mine(besides the SSD/display), which is 4 years old now.

I want something ultra portable to carry all week, and having everything saved in one place seems really nice too.

Worst case, it doesn't work out and I end up with a decent gaming/home rig
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

yeah RDP stuff like teamviewer is pretty foolproof now, I used it a couple semesters for a Remote Server project for a class.

Memory and GPU prices are just so awful right now, but from what im reading you want lots of fast cores for the general use of solidworks, but a nicer gpu helps with the visualizing of the model you are making, allowing smoother playback the better the gpu.

Current prices for something like an 1800x+1060 6GB combo make it like a $1400 PC... its annoying.

Technically you would be best off going intel, but when the 8700k is $370 im not sold. Could also go 8600K but id argue you would want to OC the snot out of any Coffee Lake you go with, otherwise its a waste.
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X