Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    Hey Jon - How much did you spend?
    End of year price was $849 (it was normally $999). BTW, it has the 17.3" full touch-screen display. Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Only negative I can think of is battery life isn't great. This device is essentially a desktop replacement. I also have a smaller & lighter ACER Chromebook with a SSD and I can get a lot of use on a single charge.

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
      So I'm kind of in a predicament. I need a new computer, but honestly I don't know a lot about them. I'm looking for a computer that can run my AutoDesk and Adobe programs, but also I would like to do some mild gaming on it too, as I'm growing tired of the console format. I don't really have a set budget, but I don't want to spend money on crap that I don't need. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also wouldn't be opposed to building my own. I've heard its not to hard, its a lot cheaper, and I think the experience would be fun.

All great resources to get a list of parts going for what you want.

Feedback!
      Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
      Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Thanks for the links! My biggest fear is wasting money. For example I don't want to spend $3,000 on M3 5 lug when theres better and much cheaper alternatives.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Never buy the top tier anything. The 2nd or 3rd tier are usually way better value for money.

I would also avoid the newest gen Intel processors, they are hardly an upgrade over previous gen.

I recently upgraded my rig for less than $1k and it handles every modern game on high settings. Allocate most of your money for the GPU, go budget spec for anything else

Comment

^ Thanks! Its little stuff like that I was looking for.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

If you're looking at the enthusiast level i5's or i7's, I would go with the Kaby Lake (7th gen) processors over the Skylake (6th gen). Typically they're not that much more expensive. Intel doesn't like to discount old processors. Also, Kaby Lake does have a few interesting features that Skylake doesn't have, like Optane and Netflix 4k streaming (LOL).

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                If you're looking at the enthusiast level i5's or i7's, I would go with the Kaby Lake (7th gen) processors over the Skylake (6th gen). Typically they're not that much more expensive. Intel doesn't like to discount old processors. Also, Kaby Lake does have a few interesting features that Skylake doesn't have, like Optane and Netflix 4k streaming (LOL).
                The biggest differences that people should even consider is the upgraded on board graphics power. Laptops will benefit more with Kaby. THe other biggie, but only for people that really use M.2, will be the up from Gen3 20 lanes of PCIe to 24. Even the 100 to 200 series chipset bumps are disappointing.

I will also go on record to say that allowing Intel to DRM Netflix 4k on chip is fuqing retarded.

Laptop: Kaby Lake
                Everyone else: Sky Lake

Comment

I'm really torn between Intel i5 7600k/GTX 1060 6GB vs Ryzen 5 1600x/Radeon RX580 8gb

I've reading great reviews on the new AMD stuff. Anyone have any experience with the AMD setup?
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    I'm really torn between Intel i5 7600k/GTX 1060 6GB vs Ryzen 5 1600x/Radeon RX580 8gb

I've reading great reviews on the new AMD stuff. Anyone have any experience with the AMD setup?
                    AMD hit a homerun with Ryzen. That said, whichever has the best price.

I grabbed a new laptop this morning, i7 7700, GTX 1050Ti. Newegg had a good deal on the Asus ROG laptop so I bought it with some bitcoin I mined over the last two weeks.

For a desktop build the 580 should edge out the 1060.
                    sigpic
                    Gun control means using both hands
                    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

3 of my buddies have gone Ryzen because they can get crazy OCs outpacing the i5 easily. the secret with Ryzen is buying fast Ram clocks and try to keep the CAS latency low. i would still go nvidia with the GPU, they seem to be better price per performance because the gpu miners like the AMDs and are inflating the price.

Comment

Also does anyone have any 8gb sticks off DDR3 they wanna offload for cheap? im just gonna buy an i7 for my current set up and limp it along until 2nd gen Zen chips are out.

Comment

I switched to AMD when upgrading my old Sandy bridge i5. Went with a 1600x and clocked to a slow(ish) 3.8Grhz because the aftermarket cooler I picked up is not great and I am running it in a 4u rackmount that was never designed for airflow.

With all the handicaps above... it runs great and I am immensely happy with it. Have had no issues since building it, though did take a bit longer to build than comparable Intel machine. I bought the setup about 4 months ago on Newegg and they had some good combo deals so I picked up an MSI B350 board and the 1600x for $280 I think. Total setup with Viper DDR4 (2800), cooler, and 256Gb WD NVME M.2 came out to $553.84 after tax. Reused my GTX 960, case, PS, etc.

Was definitely a nice upgrade and doing some VERY minor video and photo editing has been much faster render times on the built in Windows software. I'm sure real editing software would benefit even further. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
                          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                          -----------------------------------------
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

Thanks for all the insight guys! Another question, I’m kinda new to building PCs. What’s a good motherboard for gaming? I’m looking for a bang for you buck kinda deal

EDIT; I've been eyeing the Gigabyte AB350 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by MrBurgundy; 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM.
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thanks for all the insight guys! Another question, I’m kinda new to building PCs. What’s a good motherboard for gaming? I’m looking for a bang for you buck kinda deal

EDIT; I've been eyeing the Gigabyte AB350 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Look at the power phases. The better the VRM setup the higher the likelihood of your PC lasting longer.

For budget I go with MSI (German designed), and for top shelf I go with Asus. I have one Gigabyte motherboard and it was their top of the line for that series. I use it for the PCIe slots but have seen a lot of complaints regarding their lower tier stuff.

Every manufacturer makes lemons but I would look at the Asus ROG Crosshair VI extreme and then see how many of those features you can pack into the cheapest board. ROG Strix B350 gaming looks like a good budget board with quite a few features but to each their own.

Don't overlook cooling and case solutions.
                              sigpic
                              Gun control means using both hands
                              Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

I remember wanting to build a gaming desktop back in high school. Even bought a couple of components, and then the E30 love hit me hard, and I let those pieces rot in my closet.

I use a Microsoft Surface Book nowadays. I like it a lot.
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X