Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaaaand finished!:

EKWB drain plug and piping under the HDDs, which is also used for pressure testing the loop.

Comment

wow thats really nice

I'm usually not a fan of how water cooling is done, but I got to give it to you.. That looks so good.

I think its the way you mounted the reservoir. I think it looks tacky when it stands up vertically
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thanks. The original plan was to be vertical right next to the gpu ON the PSU shroud and mount the gpu vertically. Mounting that 2.2kg waterblock was a no go vertically in the vertical slots as I could not find a bracket to hold the GPU from swaying when laying the chassis down. Thanks for the compliments though. I don't care for the RGB, but the products had it so I had to try it. The thing is TERRIBLY heavy.

Comment

Where do you fill/bleed that loop from?

Comment

I put the computer on it's "face", then the res is vertical, and fill from one of the 3 ports up top.

Comment

Whoever fixed the quotes is awesome. Tip for anyone quoting a post with pics: REMOVE THE PICS FROM YOUR QUOTE! ESPECIALLY when they are so darn close to the post you are quoting....

Comment

Needed more cooling so I added the EKWB 3090 FE active backplate, and a remote radiator with leakless quick-disconnects that will sit ~10 feet away.

Comment

That's a mighty nice space heater.

Comment

^Yup ~420 watts 24/7, and when I use it goes over 700W. So far peak has been ~850W...

Comment

^ CPU probably saves some juice there, I think the current gen Ryzens idle at only a few Watts with most cores fully to sleep in C6

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                      AMD 5600x (temporary till my 5950x ships)
                      Did you end up getting the 5950X? Any issues at all? (see mini-rant below)

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                      ^I felt less ripped off paying 127% of MSRP for the 3090 vs 228% of MSRP for the 3080....
                      Speaking of markups on 3080s, I recently pulled the trigger on one.

Ever since upgrading monitors to 1440p/144Hz, my GTX1070 was struggling a bit unless I ran everything on low.
                      I kept looking online at store inventory and there really still is next to no stock, and the markup is noticable, even from retailers.

I kept looking at so-so bundles from CanadaComputers (Newegg does these too, but they seem significantly worse), and eventually splurged on a bundle of a ~20% over MSRP EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, bundled with a retail priced R9 5900X.

I'd be over the moon with this combo but for whatever reason I get crashes in specific scenarios. Most games are fine, stress tests are fine, idle/browsing is fine, just one specific game and fine mesh static simulations in SolidWorks seem to trigger it.
                      Seems to be a fairly common issue with the 5900X and 5950X, hence the question up above...

Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Look at your WHEA logs. I was getting somewhat regular (1-2x a week) cache hierarchy errors during a crash, where computer would just reboot with no warning, load or no load. Even happened with the latest BIOS patch C for my Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, but so far has been up since about 1 week after applying. I run PBO but otherwise I have no idea, I haven't tried further to troubleshoot as it's been stable enough since patch C and so little time with a newborn.

Another note, at the time of crashes I had a small air bubble in my CPU block up high, since getting rid of it, the crashes went away. I had to lay the computer on the side, but as the pump is oriented to the side as well for intake/output, gotta be very careful to to suck in air. I did add a fill port up top, that way I can fill the res 100% but still have air for compression as the water temps increase. The external rad+full waterblock dropped VRAM temps 30•C to a high of 50•C now. I was at 85-95•C with the hybrid backplate. Water temps dropped ~6•C so now its always under 40•C which before I would sometimes on a hot day be sitting at 45•C with my PETG tubes!

BTW, yes, I do currently have the 5950x. I had no crashes with my 5600x.

You will enjoy your RTX 3080!

Another note which I like about my build, I made a short 1ft loop for the quick disconnects so that I can run without the external rad. It would be wise for me to add an external D5 pump.
                        Last edited by R3Z3N; 10-21-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I get a basically blank Kernel Power ID41 error ~10s before the crash time in Event Viewer, but no WHEA ID18/19 or cache hierarchy like a lot of people.
                          I've been through a ton of threads and followed a bunch of suggestions but the only big improvement was from bumping PBO Voltage curve +4 or +6.

I do only have a 650W PSU (EVGA GQ), but it does stress test fine with 100% GPU and CPU. Game loading is certainly different so maybe that's all it takes?
                          Throwing parts at the problem now with a 1000W EVGA G5, motherboard next(from MSI B450 A-Pro ->X570 Tomahawk or Asus TUF Pro), then RMA the CPU if that doesn't solve it.
                          While I wait for it to arrive, I'm going to check RAM but the CPU/BIOS/Chipset drivers were the only change so I don't expect to find much.
                          GPU went in a week or two earlier since it's a quick change and didn't give me problems.

I'll take a pic or two at some point when I feel a little better about the whole situation.
                          Would make a nice contrast to yours as mine is just aggressively air cooled

Comment

I would love to see pics! I agree these 5900X, 5950X problems would have been nice to know before I went AMD. Then again, if I went Intel, I would probably need one of the MORA rads!

I too had to upgrade PSUs, what a bitch to do. Luckily at the time I was air cooled.

Comment

EVGA G5 1000W showed up, spent a few hours swapping yesterday. Seems fine but haven't really tried to make it crash yet.
                              Wiring is a fair bit bulkier with the sleeving, and the SATA has 4 receipt connectors which isn't really useful given the drive layout.

Specs:
                              Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
                              CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
                              CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
                              Mobo: MSI B450-A Pro
                              GPU: EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra
                              PSU: EVGA G5 1000W
                              RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16) 3000MHz
                              Storage: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe (Boot + other stuff), Samsung 860 EVO 250Gb (Games), Toshiba 1TB 2.5" HDD (documents), WD Red 8TB (Video)
                              Fans: Intake - 3x 120mm Arctic P12 PWM. Exhaust - 120mm Corsair DC fan included with the case (second one removed)

Old vs New. More connectivity, fully modular, smaller form factor so it's easier to plug things in:

It came with 2 single receipt PCIE power cables, and 2 double receipt cables.
                              Too tempting not to depin/snip the daisy chained connector off one of the double receipt cables to just have three full cables

Would like to update the Motherboard to like an X570 Tomahawk for uh, well, pretty much everything. More USB ports (+1 rear, +1 TypeC rear), USB 3.2gen2 header for the USB-C port on the case, a second M.2 drive, ditch the wireless PCIE card, and I guess better VRMs.

Also want to replace these Arctic fans because they resonate loudly at ~1000rpm. They're cheap and cool well, but it's annoying to get the occasional "whoo whoo whoo whoo" noise from them.

Noctua colours don't really match anything else in the case, but it doesn't bug me yet. May spring for their Chromax Black fans in the future sometime (and replace case fans with the same), but keep the base silver of the cooler.
                              Last edited by Northern; 10-25-2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Interesting. my P12s don't get in resonance at ~1K, might be a case specific problem. You put rubber mounts on them?

I like the build! I as well snipped the PCI-E connectors I don't need as plugging both daisy chained connectors in can be dangerous depending on card power draw.

Comment

Working...
                                X