No announcement yet.

Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember paying that much for a 256GB M.2 a few years ago. I gotta upgrade. Does your MOBO/CPU have extra ram slots?
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

yeah, it's an ATX with 4 RAM slots, I could potentially buy a second set of these same ones if I need them but I still hope 32GB is plenty.

I almost sprung for an X570 (at twice the price) to avoid having to fiddle with updating the BIOS, but the reviews for the lower end X570 boards are quite rough so it seems to be a gamble either way.
      I have ~1 month before school starts so I still have some time to finesse some parts or RMA if needed.
      Last edited by Northern; 08-16-2019, 10:54 AM.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

My work PC is 32gb. I do a lot of 3D modeling and usually have more than one modeling program open at once - also with multiple laser scans that are ~10gb each.

You'll be fine I think.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

newegg is selling 32g of trident for 169. I have this in my comp rn.. Out of the box, they'll run at 2k. I ran the xmp profile to get them running at 3k, but my comp wouldn't boot, because the profile didn't up the voltage, but it was an easy fix. I just imputed the timing tables labled on the box and ran it at 1.35v and it was gucci

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820232499

also, the asrock mobos are pretty solid for the price and they're unlocked too.
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

I've had my new desktop up and running since around Sept 1st, here's the final parts list:

I only ordered the CPU/mobo/ram/ssd and fan/dust grilles, and sketched/printed a 3-bay CD drive delete and stuck an extra 120mm fan in there, and I fixed what was messed up on the front I/O pcb.

I did a dirty quick userbenchmark and everything seems happy (besides the USB stick I had plugged in lol):

I had to flashback update the bios. I just formatted the stick, threw the latest stable bios on it, pushed the button and it worked fine. The only bios setting I changed was switching to XMP Profile 1, and the RAM came up to 3000MHz.

Only issue with using the B450 motherboards seems to be that bios takes ~22.5s to POST. I still get to the login screen in like 30 and usually just have the computer sleep anyway, so this doesn't bug me.

One of my old fans rattles, and my keyboard has some connectivity issue, so I guess those are going to be the first things to get replaced.
            Last edited by Northern; 09-29-2019, 04:19 PM. Reason: links

Comment

That's a really solid build.

Those bench scores are good af for a build at that price point...

Those new ryzen chips kick ass..
              Q

Comment

Cooler master h500 case. I5 9600k over clocked to 5.2ghz and water cooler with a 240mm rad. EVGA rtx 2079 over clocked, 16gb of 3200 ram and 750w psu. Got it connected two 24inch asus ROG monitors.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	c05263112.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	9871560

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                    Cooler master h500 case. I5 9600k over clocked to 5.2ghz and water cooler with a 240mm rad. EVGA rtx 2079 over clocked, 16gb of 3200 ram and 750w psu. Got it connected two 24inch asus ROG monitors.
                    what CPU voltage are you running at?

I have the same processor, but I can't get that thing above 5.0ghz @ 1.38v

I've heard of people getting some insane speeds out of the 9600k.

Q

Comment

I recently finished my sleeper project. Custom loop inside a 90's Sanyo dual cassette deck.

Here is a link to my pcpartpicker post:

Here is a link to my entire build album:
                      1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                      1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                      E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

A serious case of the mini ITX/tiny case project tax. Nonetheless, looks like a good result.

Comment

I like this a lot

Comment

After reading the folding thread I'm thinking it's time to finally replace the laptop that will not die (6+yr old XPS w/ i5 2410m ~2.3-2.9 dual core, 8gb DDR3, and an old GT525M), and continues to handle light gaming, mostly R6 at 30ish.

I already have a few things, the SATA SSD I added to the laptop (assuming it will actually move over smoothly), a Nvidia 970 of some type, and peripherals excluding a decent monitor.

So, without spending money unnecessarily, or handicapping myself for the next few years, and considering how I don't game nearly as much as I used to, I made up the following list. Would welcome input, specifically on the processor side as I was waffling between options ranging from a 3200G, to a 3700X. Right now I think it's a pretty good balance, considering how I have no real plans to shell out for a new video card at present.

Comment

^ Only thing I would suggest is to get a b550 chipset motherboard in case down the road you want to upgrade to a Zen 3 cpu or pcie gen 4 interface.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                                ^ Only thing I would suggest is to get a b550 chipset motherboard in case down the road you want to upgrade to a Zen 3 cpu or pcie gen 4 interface.
                                That's fair, I know MSI indicated that they would provide a BIOS update to allow for Zen 3 on B450, but I don't specifically know if other mobo manufacturers will, although my assumption would be that they will do so. Also, with backwards compatibility being implemented by mobo makers I would have thought that 550 would be listed as compatible with all Zen+ and Zen2, yet it is not, although it probably falls in with those other recent AM4 compatibility issues. Will have to look in to it further.

Comment

Working...
                                X