Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
    I drove my e30 the other day. Content to come. New year's resolution, do my part to keep r3v going. But yeah, definitely need photo uploads to work.
    I drove mine to work on Monday. Interior is staying dry, but some water got into the battery tray area. Also, the radio has horrible pops and fizzles until it warms up for a while.

It's definitely time to get serious with that car again.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      Whos R3v is it anyways?
      If you mention that show you'll have to type a Motronic hoedown for us.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        I'd update my truck thread, but the last two plus months have had it sitting in the garage troubleshooting and buying parts that have fixed nothing. Grr, Fords.
        What's it doing?

Also, weren't there talks about R3v merging with some BMWCCA forum or something?

But I totally agree with r3v needing to change hands here..

To add to e30 woes, my e30's alternator took a shit in yosemite valley not too long ago and I couldn't get a tow out haha!

spent 3 days bussing in and out getting tools and parts in to the park for my road side repair
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

I drove mine to work on Monday. Interior is staying dry, but some water got into the battery tray area. Also, the radio has horrible pops and fizzles until it warms up for a while.

It's definitely time to get serious with that car again.
          Can't get water in your battery tray if its already rusted out. I swear this was my plan all along. jkjk

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

To add to e30 woes, my e30's alternator took a shit in yosemite valley not too long ago and I couldn't get a tow out haha!

spent 3 days bussing in and out getting tools and parts in to the park for my road side repair
          This is the content we really need. Went to Yosemite once, and I can't imagine the effort you had to go through to fix this up.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Also, weren't there talks about R3v merging with some BMWCCA forum or something?

But I totally agree with r3v needing to change hands here..
            Heres what I know about the *E30 CCA Group merge with R3V. I was chosen as a CA-Rep or something because they had James representing the PNW, a few guys (Agent and a few others) who run the Southwest/ Brodeo region. The idea was to have 3 E30 Picnics basically, one in each region. There was some questions about what the value of the E30 CCA is and after renewing my BMW CCA membership for absolutely no reason I stopped renewing and subsequently stopped being a member of the Board. I tried to do what I could, but my main concern was and still is to keep R3V relevant. Tech guys more knowledgeable than I am have had ideas on some simple fixes that would help R3v and nothing has happened. Its heartbreaking...

There was supposed to be some major rollouts where R3V was going to be a sort of home-base for the E30 CCA members, updated DIYs, etc but nothing seemed to happen. Agent posted once this year on R3V to tell us the E30 Picnic was happening and then disappeared...

Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Alright, I'll tell the whole story lol. .

So, my gf and I had been dating for about two months and we decided to go to Yosemite for Labor day weekend. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (que ominous sounds)

We left for Oakhurst Friday morning, which is about 45 mins from the park and was also where we are staying for the weekend. We're super excited to check the park out, so we drop off most of our belongings, grab a bite to eat then we start making our way into the park.

Man, the drive in was awesome.. Perfect twisties and the park is pretty empty at this point in the day, so I really got to whip it down into the valley.

If you've been to the park before, you'll know what I'm talking about. There's this big ass long boi tunnel right when you start really getting into the valley. Appropriately, I proceed to smash the gas and rip it the whole, probably 1/4 mile of tunnel. WOW m20 noises! YAY!

It's starting to get pretty dark at this point, so I went to turn my lights on, and literally right when I turn them on, I notice there dim AF and I'm washed over with the absolute certainty that we are BIG FUCKED.

I look over to my GF, with my pale face and let her know that we're essentially FOOOOOOOKED.

We get down to the valley where people are parked and I find a nice, spacious pull off and shut the e30 down. I open the ignition and the bulb in the battery indication in the cluster is OUT. I proceed to restart the car, with 0 hope of any sort of cranking situation.. and of course, no crank, completely dead car..

There's a Ranger across the road and he sees out hood open and asked if everything was okay.

EVERYTHING IS NOT OKAY. I explain with certainty that our alternator took a steamy shit on us. He was like, "let's jump it."

Okay, let's just jump it and see what happens.. We jump it, starts up fine and I'm like maybe if the stars align, we can somehow make it out of the park before it shits again, but the alternator is completely dead. no charge at any point in the r3v range.

We're scooting out way out and the car starts bucking because the batt is dying again.. Now it's pitch fucking black outside, there is no real pull off, but I find a small spot to keep the car somewhat safely on the side of the road while I can.

Alright, we got a dead e30, no problem, I got AAA, they'll come get us out.

I call and they give me the. "you'll see a tow truck in 60mins."

An hour passes by with no confirmation, cars a zooming by us, we have this tiny battery lantern to illuminate our terrible situation, beer and two chairs. Life is mildly okay.

So, I'm getting pretty restless at this time and the level of fucked we're about to achieve is so powerful, that I feel it coming.. I call AAA again at this point to inquire on any kind of update. They tell me they haven't found a driver yet and that they're still looking... NICE

My GF is sooooooo supportive. She's not freaking out, she's doing what she can to help and I'm here pacing up and down the road like an insane person. She's already calling placed in the park to find us a place to sleep, because it's not looking good with AAA.

Finally, AAA calls and they're like, "yeah we cant find a driver." click

My gf is calling placed in the park with no luck.. Labor day weekend.. everything is booked.. THEN THE STARS ALIGN. She finds a camp with a lil cabin for us 1.5 miles away.. We lock the car up, fill a bag up with our remaining shit, beers included. I grab the shitty lantern and we start walking up this shoulderless road as cars continue to wiz by us.. Very sketchy..

So, it's like 10PM at this point and we were thinking about what time the front desk closes, so we call to find out and they're like, "wtf do you mean, we're fully booked."

AHHHHHHH FUCK. So my gf is telling them how they just told us they got a spot and some chit chat happened in the back and it was still there for us.. HOLY SHIT, we're still good.

After about an hour or so of this spontaneous hike, we make it to our cabin.. Man, it felt so good to lay the fuck down.

We get some rest and call AAA again in the morning and they tell us that they just cannot service the park at all... The future is bleak. :c

I called the oriellys in oakhurst and they have an alternator for my car there! Okay, some good news?

Always, we're checking out and we hear of this bus that goes to Oakhurst! There's hope, we can get into town and bus back and fix it on the side of the road that day! We find the bus schedule and this fucker is leaking in 15 minutes and its like a mile away, so we strap up and run with all out shit to the bus stop.. it was like 11 on the dot. So, we sit and wait.

and wait

and wait

12pm

more waiting

no bus

still no bus

We're thinking we missed it..

fuck

At this point I'm not having a good time lol Thankfully my gf is a fucking soldier and is still trying to figure things out to help. Very grateful she's so relaxed in this situation.

it's like 2-3 and we're like we have to stay in the park again and try tomorrow.. There's no way we'd get back in the park, since the last one coming back left at 2 and we'd still have to walk in the 90 degree weather to the parts store 1 mile there and a mile back to the bus stop..

This fucking bus shows up at like 3 o'clock, this shit was 4 hours late. I've never been so happy to see a bus in my life.

We're waiting to get on and of course the bus is fucking broken too... the elevator lift for disabled people would not retract, so we continue to wait... My gf really wanted to leave a note on the car to let the rangers know that we're taking care of business, so they don't ironically tow it LOL

I would have free climbed El Capitan and jumped off if that happened. HAHA.

Anyways, I was like no no no, that's a dangerous walk from the bus stop and we might miss it if you went for the walk, so she ended up waiting with me, thankfully..

Finally, the bus is able to move and we'd be passing my car on the way out. The bus driver was sooooo nice and stopped for us to leave the note..

Off to Oakhurst to get what we need to fix the car in the morning..

Getting to our hotel was such a relief.. Progress is being made.. Now we just have to walk to Oreillys and back in the blistering heat..

We walk outside to begin that journey and we see this red van sitting out front with "Oakhurst Trolley" written on the side.. NO FUCKING WAY

I walk up and ask if he's giving rides and he sure was.. This angel drove us to and back from the parts store. We unload everything in the hotel, grab dinner and get to bed to try and catch the 6AM bus..

We went online to get tickets for the bus and of course, it says none are available.. Stress levels are high again.. We run to the buss stop early as shit and just pray that there's some room for us to get on.. The bus pulls up and there's like no one on this fucker.. Something finally went according to plan..

We had this beautiful drive into the park.. The bus ride in was honestly so sick.. My GF literally asked the lady to stop so she could grab the beers from under the bus LOL

We get to the bus stop and start walking with all the tools, alternator and big fucking jumper pack to the car, along with ALL of our shit this time, since we had to check out..

After the long shitty walk, we make it to the e30 and I get to work.. All is smooth sailing until I start unbolting the alternator..

If you're familiar with how that works, there's like 8mm nut on the back of the bottom bold that has no room to hold with any kind of wrench or socket and this fucker was literally stuck. The bolt was just spitting with the nut... AAHHHHHHHHHHHH I was about to loose my shit.. That was going to be the nut that fucked us beyond any available help.. I grab a dime from in the car and hammered Roosevelt in there and cranked that fucker out. WHAT A RELIEF. I get the new alternator in and button the car up.

A pair of rangers saw my GF unconscious in the car and me, dirty as shit and sweating like my car broke down in YV and I've been riding busses for two day, so they start asking me wtf is going on and I told her I just replaced my alternator. They've probably seen this car for the whole weekend waiting.

She looked at me like she knew that this is not going to work.. I was like "wanna see it start?"

Connected the jumper pack, mfer started right up and we scooted out way out of there. Made it back with no issues.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH

The end.

Q

Comment

What's it doing?
                Truck was being odd, occasionally bucking, idle too high and variable, low power randomly with no apparent cause, situation same on either fuel pump.

Replaced a few thousand miles before issue: O2, resealed injectors +filters, fuel filter, EGR

Replaced after issue: engine mounts, exh manifolds, alternator, rad, rad hoses, all engine system vac lines, TPS, IACV, IAT sensor, injectors, FPR, PCV, seals/gaskets, verified timing and electronic advance

Not replaced: CTS for ECU or MAP

Current driving state, excellent start up, perfect idle speed, incredibly rich, acts like it may be running on 5 cylinders, after a 5 mile drive there is a 50% chance that the truck will not respond to accelerator input at all, but will hold idle fine. KOER showed only one code (O2 showing rich operation, duh, I can see and smell that) after a few drive cycles, KOEO showed something nonsense like clutch not depressed during KOER test and nothing else.

Working on replacing two leaky caps in the ECU now as I don't have the tools to test the MAP sensor, and the ECU is about the only common issue I can thing of. Truck does stall if vac to MAP is blocked, and it does act different if FPR line unplugged, also, vac seems healthy having cured the leaks.

Comment

the end
                  not until we see a pic of this girlfriend...

I think the demise of R3V is directly related to the decreasing of GF pics

oh also... there might be some 2mAn truck content in ‘22... no joke until you see what mess I’m getting myself into
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

not until we see a pic of this girlfriend...

I think the demise of R3V is directly related to the decreasing of GF pics

oh also... there might be some 2mAn truck content in ‘22... no joke until you see what mess I’m getting myself into
                    cant upload pics

sorry

Q

Comment

cant upload pics

sorry
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Thanks JAMES
                        Q

Comment

Thanks JAMES
                          For keeping the site secure and at least somewhat operational.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

For keeping the site secure and at least somewhat operational.
                            yes, thanks for that too
                            Q

Comment

The end.
                              This is what we come here for. What an absolute story. Having been there once, the lengths you had to go through to get in and out of the park is incredible. I also remember almost zero pull out parking spaces.

Also props to e30s being easier to fix than a 2020 "reliable" vehicle. If one of those ever broke down like that, it's truly over.

Sooo with all that happening in a 2 month old relationship, will she be a trooper and stick around for the next breakdown?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Burg,

That's the kind of story I am talking about! I would not want to be in your shoes, glad you were finally able to make it out alive.
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X