No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant imagine building a garage and not having a lift inside it... how much more space would you really need to squeeze a lift in? Remember that it also x2 your vehicle parking space
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      I cant imagine building a garage and not having a lift inside it... how much more space would you really need to squeeze a lift in? Remember that it also x2 your vehicle parking space
      Eh, a lift isn't exactly a convenient item for many garages. For instance, my garage has ~13' ceilings, around 6" of who knows what concrete, and absolutely no sensible way to add a lift. If I add one I can either not open a car door easily, park one vehicle backwards every time, lose convenient access to a person door, block stairs, or install the lift at 90 degrees to the parking bays and lose motorcycle parking in the process. None of those options are good, and coupled with having to reconfigure my garage door means I'm never installing one even though my garage is "perfect" for one. As such I am perfectly happy to borrow a lift when I need one in exchange for cleaning their shop or buying beer.

As to doubling parking space, maybe if the vehicle on top is completely devoid of leaks, and since it's the less frequently used one I'm going to guess that it normally leaks something.

Comment

^^^ Right. If you really want to double parking space, the 4 posts I feel are better suited for that, but then it limits what you can do with that lift, unless you get the center channel lifts that add supports that go out from the center - but that complicates and adds considerable cost.

To really be able to use a 2 post (if you want to garage multiple vehicles) it is best to have it away from the -storage/parking- area IMO. Which means the garage needs to be bigger, which many can't do. I see it a lot in groups or on garage journal - anyone with a decent sized shop, they wish they had gone bigger or could have gone bigger. When you place a lift, it is going to make the immediate area not usable at times if you want to leave a vehicle on the lift or things under it. Then there is the issue if it is placed too close to other objects/walls, etc.

Or be like the 3 separate people in my current neighborhood, they have 2 posts exposed to the elements on slabs 20-40 feet behind their RV gate. Honestly, if this was forever house, with a shade cover I'd consider that, but it isn't so that won't be happening.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

If you're gonna have one lift, a two post is the move.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

Yeah, although it is all in the prep, and my stuff worked for well enough for most part, it was clear it was a subpar product. I'd step it up to the better products. Professional install is pricey, I just like the warranty's that come with them.

When you don't use the flakes in that HD kit, I think that is what can cause the yellowing, because the undercoat is not UV rated, and the clear topcoat might not be either.

On reddit, I forgot which subreddit (garage and / or mancave) or even the facebook group "Average Middle Class Garage Goals" I know there were some posts showing the better grade stuff that are in kits you can order from a website.
            I read about the Poly coatings after your first post about the epoxy coatings, I'll be looking at the links you sent in the other post as well. Sounds like the way to go if I can find a source.

UV also might not be a huge problem for me - Windows on the East side but likely shaded, Man+Garage doors on the North.

The other option could be the plastic tiles, but while I like those in theory, they are pricey and in garages where a lot of work happens I'm not sure about them.
            I do kind of like the thin grey ones (with the raised circles? I think from costco as well), I just don't know if they collect dirt in the cracks and how hard they'd be to roll casters over...

You're going to love the new space when the shell is done! I'm sure you already have sketched and thought about placement for everything.
            I have a floorplan sketch in solidworks with the various car templates and some benches but I'm kind of playing it by ear.
            Speaking of casters, the 4-door E30 on car dollies and sticking it sideways in the back right corner.

If you wanted a 2 post but not all the time, I know people love their Max Jaxx's, even though their prices are higher now that I think Bendpak bought them out?
            That would probably be better than the quickjack, might compare.

Originally posted by Panici View Post

That's my biggest reason for not having a car lift. I do quite a bit of work for just having a 1.5 car garage, and I'd lose a lot of flexibility with the lift posts in the way.

What I would recommend is a motorcycle lift to free up some space. During the winter I can put it against the wall with a bike on top, then lift it up and store things underneath.

Or scooch the E30 closer to the wall and get to both sides of the bike lift, with room for more bikes between the car and lift.
            "Lucky" for me, I'm going to sell my bike because of the knee thing, otherwise I would take this advice.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I already have 5, I don't think I can financially or mentally sustain any more haha.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              If you're gonna have one lift, a two post is the move.
              I want one so badly, I'm not even old yet and I already am starting to hate being on the ground under the car for any long period of time. Unfortunately the FL housing market has gone completely insane. My wife and I, who could have afforded what we wanted pre-covid if we wanted to blow almost all of our savings on a down payment, now have enough saved to not do that (if houses still cost what they did in 2020) but can no longer afford what we want. As a matter of fact, we would barely be able to afford the bare minimum, which for reference is not much; a 3/2 with 2 car garage and no HOA and a lot too small for building a tall garage, as opposed to a 4/3 with 2+ car garage, no HOA and land that I can build a garage tall enough for a lift and some machines on. We have some time to wait and see if the bottom falls out of this unreasonable market, but I'm not overly hopeful considering the rate at which people are flooding into our state. On that note, no HOA is a non-negotiable for me. I border on hate for these power-tripping busybody jackoffs, and I am not paying $250+/mo to be bossed around and get mediocre lawn maintenance and a community pool I'll almost never use at our next place. No, they haven't bothered me about my cars, but they have been making enemies with selective rule enforcement lately.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                garage stuffs
                There are so many options with everything, and it is a bottomless pit, looking forward to more build updates on your garage. I wish you luck and well priced additions to it haha.

Originally posted by varg View Post

I want one so badly, I'm not even old yet and I already am starting to hate being on the ground under the car for any long period of time. Unfortunately the FL housing market has gone completely insane. My wife and I, who could have afforded what we wanted pre-covid if we wanted to blow almost all of our savings on a down payment, now have enough saved to not do that (if houses still cost what they did in 2020) but can no longer afford what we want. As a matter of fact, we would barely be able to afford the bare minimum, which for reference is not much; a 3/2 with 2 car garage and no HOA and a lot too small for building a tall garage, as opposed to a 4/3 with 2+ car garage, no HOA and land that I can build a garage tall enough for a lift and some machines on. We have some time to wait and see if the bottom falls out of this unreasonable market, but I'm not overly hopeful considering the rate at which people are flooding into our state. On that note, no HOA is a non-negotiable for me. I border on hate for these power-tripping busybody jackoffs, and I am not paying $250+/mo to be bossed around and get mediocre lawn maintenance and a community pool I'll almost never use at our next place. No, they haven't bothered me about my cars, but they have been making enemies with selective rule enforcement lately.
                Sounds eerily similar to our market here in the valley (Phoenix and surrounding areas) but unfortunately we top the lists in every regard that is not good (inflation, home prices, people moving here, etc) It's actually kinda depressing.

Because of schools etc, next house will probably be in an HOA area, which I'm not happy about, but that's when/if the market lets up for us to financially consider it. I hate HOAs, and like that we aren't in one now, but long term I don't want to be in our neighborhood.​
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Very grateful to have hoists... Sometimes if I'm busy, I'll have to do a job on the floor-- fuck that.. Props to all of you guys doing clutches and shit at home.

Southern California is absolutely insane right now. I literally don't know how people afford to live out here, who have bought in the last 2 years.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    I literally don't know how people afford to live out here, who have bought in the last 2 years.
                    If I had to guess; they can't. They're over-extended and will be in big trouble eventually, they're in a similar position to people like me but are more willing to bet on the future and are absolutely buried in debt - "house poor". This crap looks exactly like the mid 2000s to me, but it's worse because we didn't have as much of the investment property stuff going on back then. I still remember sitting in my macroeconomics class in 2007/8 listening to the old bearded prof tell us exactly what was going on and exactly how bad it was going to get and 2 years later I was a broke college kid struggling to find work and there were foreclosures everywhere and I couldn't help but remember his lectures.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

If I had to guess; they can't..
                      Reminds me of a time one of my clients came in, who is a dentist and was explaining to me how his wife wanted a nice house. They got something at the very top of his budget and now he's living "paycheck to paycheck" with a 6k mortgage.. still driving expensive European cars....

Crazy how so many people live like that... and by that I mean, having enough money to live comfortably, or well within your means, yet they choose financial hell.

Comment

Sounds eerily similar to our market here in the valley (Phoenix and surrounding areas) but unfortunately we top the lists in every regard that is not good (inflation, home prices, people moving here, etc) It's actually kinda depressing.​
                        I think it's basically like this all around.
                        Here, prices here have doubled/tripled over the course of COVID, what was $280k 10 years ago is now $700+, and if it's had serious work put into it, it could be over $1m. Housing supply here is really lacking.
                        Tons of large apartments/condos going up, basically one or two per block, but we're still a few tens of thousands of homes short (~2-8% of my city's population) in the meantime.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

My Feedback

Comment

Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                              Well, it's definitely nonsense.
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Well, it's definitely nonsense.
                                This is the no n sense thread man.

Comment

Working...
                                X