• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

This is the no n sense thread man.
    What? Nonsense!

Currently building a badass coffee table
    Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Well shit, I've never had much common sense, but I never thought about having n sense.

Switching topics like a kid with ADD, what's up with fan clutches?
      • Real OEM shows 11521723918 as "From [blank]" and 11521466000 or 11521740962 as "From 09/1987"
      • FCP Euro shows both as options for my 1989 325i
      • My car has a 9-bade fan, FCP Euro shows 11-blade fans for my car
      • I read that the 3918 vs 6000 have different properties for when the fan will kick in
      Am I over thinking all of this? I kinda care, but mostly don't want to overheat when sitting in traffic.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Eh, more blades, more drag probably, and I'd bet any differences in clutches is simply two competing supplier designs as I've see several similar styles on E30s over the years.

Comment

I can't help with fan clutches... Buy both from FCP, return one after testing?

Breaking records in AZ this summer. 118+ degree temps.

In garage news, I thought I could get away with no insulating my current garage... (don't expect to be here for more than a few years). Nah, I can't wait anymore.
          West wall temp readings inside? 120-130 degrees.

2 Car Garage also contains washer and dryer, and mid-summer you can begin to sweat if you're in there for more than 30 seconds.
          If I'm going to be productive on car stuff at all this needs to happen, and will increase value of house, and just make it more comfortable.

PLAN:

Going to basically do what I did at my old place, insulate + install wall AC - I'd go mini-split if this was forever house (hopefully next house).

East Wall - Shares interior wall, insulated - probably not well enough, but I'm not removing drywall for this house.
          West Wall - Was bare studs. Now R13 Fiberglass batts just installed. May add sheets of plywood, then drywall above that, or just drywall. Install 10k-12k BTU through wall AC Unit.
          West Wall - Man door with window - Previous owner's terrible install, get sealing kit for door, add foam boards to back side, try to seal it best I can.
          North Wall - Roll up garage door, install the R8 insulation kit (x2) from HD/Lowes to help a little bit.
          South Wall - Storage/Washer/Dryer/Hot Water Heater Side --- Was drywalled by PO, no insulation, but full length rear patio covers it, not going to remove drywall or insulate for now.

Attic - No insulation, blow in cellulose above garage, rest of house already had this done a few years ago.

I think to make it easier on myself, I'll run wire for AC circuit in conduit around outside of house so I don't have to crawl across entire length of house in 160+ degree attic temps.
          Last edited by DEV0 E30; 07-18-2023, 11:57 AM.
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            Well shit, I've never had much common sense, but I never thought about having n sense.

Switching topics like a kid with ADD, what's up with fan clutches?
            • Real OEM shows 11521723918 as "From [blank]" and 11521466000 or 11521740962 as "From 09/1987"
            • FCP Euro shows both as options for my 1989 325i
            • My car has a 9-bade fan, FCP Euro shows 11-blade fans for my car
            • I read that the 3918 vs 6000 have different properties for when the fan will kick in
            Am I over thinking all of this? I kinda care, but mostly don't want to overheat when sitting in traffic.
            I bet you'll be fine with either.

My catalogue shows two different ones as well, but the same meyle part in each category
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
              I can't help with fan clutches... Buy both from FCP, return one after testing?

Breaking records in AZ this summer. 118+ degree temps.

In garage news, I thought I could get away with no insulating my current garage... (don't expect to be here for more than a few years). Nah, I can't wait anymore.
              West wall temp readings inside? 120-130 degrees.

2 Car Garage also contains washer and dryer, and mid-summer you can begin to sweat if you're in there for more than 30 seconds.
              If I'm going to be productive on car stuff at all this needs to happen, and will increase value of house, and just make it more comfortable.

PLAN:

Going to basically do what I did at my old place, insulate + install wall AC - I'd go mini-split if this was forever house (hopefully next house).

East Wall - Shares interior wall, insulated - probably not well enough, but I'm not removing drywall for this house.
              West Wall - Was bare studs. Now R13 Fiberglass batts just installed. May add sheets of plywood, then drywall above that, or just drywall. Install 10k-12k BTU through wall AC Unit.
              West Wall - Man door with window - Previous owner's terrible install, get sealing kit for door, add foam boards to back side, try to seal it best I can.
              North Wall - Roll up garage door, install the R8 insulation kit (x2) from HD/Lowes to help a little bit.
              South Wall - Storage/Washer/Dryer/Hot Water Heater Side --- Was drywalled by PO, no insulation, but full length rear patio covers it, not going to remove drywall or insulate for now.

Attic - No insulation, blow in cellulose above garage, rest of house already had this done a few years ago.

I think to make it easier on myself, I'll run wire for AC circuit in conduit around outside of house so I don't have to crawl across entire length of house in 160+ degree attic temps.
              With the rest of your plan in mind, skip the plywood and just go drywall.

I am hating these temps btw. I still had some truck stuff to take care of, and spending an hour in the garage (moderately insulated) felt akin to running a marathon.
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Departure date jumped up to just 44 days from now. Beyond ecstatic.

Truck is done. The final step was off-grid internet access. Starlink modified to run on DC power.

Almost time to hit the road. I can't wait.

Pre-Departure Practice by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

With the rest of your plan in mind, skip the plywood and just go drywall.

I am hating these temps btw. I still had some truck stuff to take care of, and spending an hour in the garage (moderately insulated) felt akin to running a marathon.
                  Yep, agreed. Who knows - I may add a shade sail to shade the west wall too, anything to keep temps lower. I've seen some people do that, no idea if it really helps.

It's turrrrible.

Talking with an electrician or two this week, if one of them gives me a good price, I may have them run the conduit and wire or just do the final connection for me.

Truck is beyond balling out of control these days. At some point I still need to see it in person.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Departure date jumped up to just 44 days from now.
                    Whats the plan here?

Also is the E36 just cooking somewhere right now?

Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Departure date jumped up to just 44 days from now. Beyond ecstatic.

Truck is done. The final step was off-grid internet access. Starlink modified to run on DC power.

Pre-Departure Practice by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr
                      Where are you going and what kinda route are you taking.... inquiring minds want to know
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Since the departure date jumped up unexpectedly, we had already had many things on our schedules for the fall.

So to start we will be spending the remainder of the warm part of this year in Northern AZ (North Rim of the GC primarily) and southern Utah (slot canyon chasing), as we still have obligations (family vacations) in AZ.

As winter sets in we will go to Death Valley and Joshua Tree and do everything there that we can.

As deep winter sets in we will head to Baja California to spend time exploring the peninsula until spring arrives.

At that point we begin a slow, but steady, push north. The DEW line and the Arctic Circle and Arctic Ocean. Also the highest latitude in both the USA and Canada are on our list as well.

After that, who knows. Time is our most valuable currency, so we will go as fast or as slow as we like.

The M3 has changed hands, a while ago now, and is now in the possession of some wealthy guy with a load of race cars. It was hard to let it go, but he paid 100% of what I had put into it (~$15,000), so off it went.

M3 Departure by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

Dang, going 100% 'vanlife' now!... be sure to share the adventure with us
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I bet you'll be fine with either.

My catalogue shows two different ones as well, but the same meyle part in each category
                            I started reading through this thread, and post 7 indicates differences on an e36. I know I'm overthinking it, I'm just going to buy a Behr and be done with it.

Since the departure date jumped up unexpectedly, we had already had many things on our schedules for the fall...

That sounds like an amazing adventure!! I'm excited to see pictures!
                            Last edited by McGyver; 07-19-2023, 08:51 AM.
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Dang, going 100% 'vanlife' now!... be sure to share the adventure with us
                              Going to do my best to avoid the 'vanlife' style. I didn't spend ~$18,000 on suspension just to hit up paid campgrounds. We can do 10 days without any outside support. This extends to 20+ if we camp near enough to a lake/stream/creek. Hoping with all of that capacity we can really get off-grid, and leave pavement far behind!

Comment

We can do 10 days without any outside support. This extends to 20+ if we camp near enough to a lake/stream/creek. Hoping with all of that capacity we can really get off-grid, and leave pavement far behind!
                                That sounds awesome, good luck!

Currently building a badass coffee table
                                Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Working...
                                X