Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    I usually bring a friend or two when doing a craigslist/fb meetup. Just in case. Almost got jumped once selling some shit.

Same here, normally. Can't ever hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
    I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I'm currently debating how much I would hate myself for getting an E46 sedan as a DD instead of something more practical (but IMO not as nice) like a newer Mazda 3. Looks like decent E46s are around 7k or less on autotrader. Hmm :/

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
        I'm currently debating how much I would hate myself for getting an E46 sedan as a DD instead of something more practical (but IMO not as nice) like a newer Mazda 3. Looks like decent E46s are around 7k or less on autotrader. Hmm :/
        Need more info before I can give an opinion.

What makes a good DD to you?
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

What I'm looking for: stick shift, four doors, decent power (150-200hp), 25+ mpg, and reliable.

What I consider reliable: No problems to speak of that would leave me stranded, minimal problems of random shit going wrong, ie, clusters going out, window regulators, torn subframe mounts, etc. If I'm spending 2-3k a year fixing things that have broken, that's not going to work.

Not really interested in modding it. I've always liked the E46 body style, and as much as I try to like the Japanese stuff, I just don't like them as much as I do German cars. But my E30 has not been kind to me so I'm kind of hesitant to get another BMW, especially one that's newer. I think my E30 is a bit of a lemon though, plus some bad luck - the original high miles motor spun a bearing, and the replacement with new bearings also spun one within 2k miles.

Comment

I think e46s are very reliable and make greats DDs. Lots of my customers are well over 200k and very, very rarely are they towed into my shop.

Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Alright.

Here's something. Probably not helpful, but whatever.

I too wanted to DD something far more reliable than my E30 (and my E30 wasn't really that bad) that I wouldn't be tempted to modify (that's a big issue for me).

I chose a Toyota. I went with a pickup, as opposed to a car as you are suggesting. I had the reliability requirement, but gas efficiency and 4 doors were not on my list.

It has been nothing but blissful. Literally no issues. Truck gets beat on on occasion. It gets wheeled out in the woods on camping trips. I haul ass on dirt roads without worry. And the best part is I have done a couple oil changes and new spark plugs. That's it.

If reliability is up there (and it should be on a DD, IMHO) a Toyota is just about unbeatable. A mid 2000's Camry fits your bill pretty well. Plus, it isn't your favorite thing in the world, so you continue using it for what you got it for. As opposed to the whole "I got a new daily! ..... modifications happen..... Shit, I need a new daily!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                I think e46s are very reliable and make greats DDs. Lots of my customers are well over 200k and very, very rarely are they towed into my shop.

Sounds promising. I'll need to do some more in depth research on common problems and whatnot, but that sounds good.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                As opposed to the whole "I got a new daily! ..... modifications happen..... Shit, I need a new daily!"
                :rofl:

Yes, I won't lie, I ruined my E30 for DD purposes. It was stock when I got it. Then I decided I would lower it. I got H&R race springs and Bilstein Sports. It rode better than I thought, but we have some rough/wavy roads around here, and they really show on stiff suspension.

Then I decided it needs to steer quicker. Z3 steering rack in, and... it certainly steers more quickly. Too quickly. Kinda scary at times. I think my poor alignment is contributing to that.

At this point, engine #2 goes, and I've had enough, but my dad retired recently and wants a project. He fixes the engine with plans to turbo it, so we put in a Sachs 618. It's a stiff clutch, and the car is now completely ruined.

What's funny is I've already thought about swapping out the steering rack on the E46 that I don't even own yet.

Anyway. Your experience with the Toyota is pretty much why I wanted a Mazda, which appear to be very reliable cars from what I've read, but with the bonus of being pretty fun to drive as well. But I just can't get myself to get excited about them. I'm a logical person that makes emotional decisions lol.

I don't mind the odd minor issue here and there, but a constant onslaught of broken shit like I dealt with on my E30 is something I want to avoid.

Comment

Same exact thing happened with my last E30 (sold ~1 year ago, #tears) just to a more extreme degree.

I matured as a human being over the years, and the things that gave me a raging boner when I was 19-21 did not have the same impact later. Like at all.

I have grown to like/desire quality. Sure, 99% of the time my truck is boring to drive as a DD. But my daily commute is less than 3 miles, most of it at a speed of only 25 mph. The lack of daily driving excitement for me is easily outweighed by the impeccable reliability of the truck. The quality is worth it to me.

Not sure if you and I are similar in this regard, but the older I get the more and more I like having the ability to work on a car when I WANT to, not when I NEED to.

Comment

Well, I've never enjoyed working on a car when it breaks, vs when I want to modify it, but what I've learned since getting my first project at 16 (my Z, which I dove into head first - big mistake) is that not only do I not really enjoy working on cars, I'm also not that good at it. Not that bad, but far from the mechanical whiz that my Dad is. Little things I don't mind too much, but if the car has to go on jack stands, I'm probably not going to enjoy myself.

My tastes have certainly matured. When I was 20 or so, I wanted 600hp and huge tires, and blah blah blah. I think that's totally silly now. 300hp will be plenty in a 2500lb car. Not into loud exhausts either. I like a loud exhaust, but in small doses. Definitely not all the time.

I have a bit of a heavy foot though, and I think my driving style would best be described as 'spirited', so a big boat of a vehicle would not be welcome. And I really don't like big cars, period. Some amount of handling ability is a requirement for me.

Comment

Well, I've never enjoyed working on a car when it breaks, vs when I want to modify it, but what I've learned since getting my first project at 16 (my Z, which I dove into head first - big mistake) is that not only do I not really enjoy working on cars, I'm also not that good at it. Not that bad, but far from the mechanical whiz that my Dad is. Little things I don't mind too much, but if the car has to go on jack stands, I'm probably not going to enjoy myself.

My tastes have certainly matured. When I was 20 or so, I wanted 600hp and huge tires, and blah blah blah. I think that's totally silly now. 300hp will be plenty in a 2500lb car. Not into loud exhausts either. I like a loud exhaust, but in small doses. Definitely not all the time.

I have a bit of a heavy foot though, and I think my driving style would best be described as 'spirited', so a big boat of a vehicle would not be welcome. And I really don't like big cars, period. Some amount of handling ability is a requirement for me.
                      Gotcha.

I think my ability to provide any additional helpful information/opinions has come to an end. Cause I drive like a grandpa most of the time! Living in a small mountain town, that operates at its own relaxed pace, has had some effects on me.

Good luck on your search!

Comment

I think a 330i would be a great choice. My 530i has never left me stranded, plus it's decent on gas.

Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                        Q
                        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

What I'm looking for: stick shift, four doors, decent power (150-200hp), 25+ mpg, and reliable.
                          Manual IS300.

Comment

I'm in a similar DD boat, but I am selling my 944 and the Impreza and moving into a single fun car.

Currently considering everything from e39s to e55 AMG wagons.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                            Sounds like you need a massage.
                            Originally posted by kpeng
                            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

^^ E39 M5!

I will have one one day, just not yet.

Comment

^ That's in the mix too! But clean ones are so damn hard to find for reasonable money. Not looking to get some 150K, cheaply modified, beat to shit car. Unfortunately, that is the fate of too many e39 M5s, but I guess that's what happens when a car like that becomes somewhat affordable.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                                Sounds like you need a massage.
                                Originally posted by kpeng
                                Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Working...
                                X