Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

This was the exact problem I had before I finally committed to just buying something. Kept getting distracted by the myriad choices of cars out there. Happily, the E36 M3 always came back around to the top of the list.
    How was the toyota doing with the trailer and car on it?
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

How was the toyota doing with the trailer and car on it?
      To be honest, much better than I thought, considering it has a V6.

130.6 miles through 10,000 ft of elevation gain and it got 13.3 mpg. Set cruise at 65 and let it do its thing with the 'ECT' option engaged. Only dropped to third on two of the longest steepest climbs.

When I drove it through Phx, 40 miles to my brothers, on flat ground, I did 70 and got 16.8 mpg.

Other than that, I barely noticed it being back there. Very stable and quiet inside. I was impressed.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Hello, back from the promised lands of apexes and speed.
        I do things.

Comment

I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
            Hello, back from the promised lands of apexes and speed.
            Welcome back!

That pic looks awesome.

BTW I hope your helmet is painted like a Melon. That would be epic. I rarely use that word so that it still means something when I say it... and it would be epic

Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Welcome back!

That pic looks awesome.

BTW I hope your helmet is painted like a Melon. That would be epic. I rarely use that word so that it still means something when I say it... and it would be epic
              It's not, but it is bright ass orange.
              I do things.

Comment

Seriously BMW?!?! If the n54 valve cover wasn't already a pain, the e88 doesn't have enough room to pull the cover out unless the trans mount nuts are removed and engine tilted forward. Grrrr.....

Cyls 5&6 are practically under the dashboard lol.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Seriously BMW?!?! If the n54 valve cover wasn't already a pain, the e88 doesn't have enough room to pull the cover out unless the trans mount nuts are removed and engine tilted forward. Grrrr.....

Cyls 5&6 are practically under the dashboard lol.
                  ever replaced the spark plugs on a LS f-body? The last two on either side are the same way. Pain in the butt to remove.
                  1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd
                  g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post

ever replaced the spark plugs on a LS f-body? The last two on either side are the same way. Pain in the butt to remove.
                    There's a reason "Firebird" is in my screen name lol. Built a turbo (single, then twin) Firebird back in the days of forum noob-ness.

Still, 7hrs book for a freaking VC gasket? The e90x chassis isn;'t near this bad.

How about an alternator on a 3.4DOHC GM FWD car? lol Requires sub frame drop...
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Crank angle sensors on Cruze and others require the engine and/or trans to be removed, which is most cases will necessitate a replacement of AC condenser and at least one line. It's also a common failure. The book time was also comical, but not as bad as anything turbo related on an LLY/LBZ Duraturd where one really needs a service writer who does not blindly quote book time. Every time I think about replacing the alternator or servicing the rear brakes on my SVT Contour I question why I keep buying those cars.

Not to crap on American cars & trucks, but it seems that packaging for maintenance is often left to the same evil megalomaniac, even before the bean counters remove quality from components.

Guess that's why we're on an E30 forum, because we probably value ease of maintenance.

Comment

^^^Ford i4 crank sensor bracket, early 00 era.

Doing friend a favor. He had a Merc Cougar FWD POS that blew a HG. Doing him a "favor" and was going to swap out used engine. OK, 9hr book, did it 6hr after hours for low $$. Swapped it out in one eve, no start - screw around with it until 2am, no crank signal. During work the next day, found some obscure post on a mechanics forum about the manual vs auto CPS bracket. OK! Welp, the screw that hold the bracket is IN the bell housing, facing the engine....derp. Take a look and figure the trans pull is easier than the engine swap was ---- nope. All night again to R&R the trans for one little screw. The flex plate and flywheel had different location for the reluctor, so they changed the angle on the bracket to keep the sensors universal, but instead of having a bracket that mounts outside, they saved that $0.00003 per car.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

There's a reason "Firebird" is in my screen name lol. Built a turbo (single, then twin) Firebird back in the days of forum noob-ness.

Still, 7hrs book for a freaking VC gasket? The e90x chassis isn;'t near this bad.

How about an alternator on a 3.4DOHC GM FWD car? lol Requires sub frame drop...
                          haha I didn't even notice, touche :D

I've not had to do the alternator on a 3.4, and I think that would be a blessing now lol
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd

Comment

For ease of maintenance, my jeep has been fairly easy to work on. Granted there was that one time i forgot to put coolant in the system after a waterpump replacement...that turned into me replacing the motor lol
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd

Comment

^^^Ford i4 crank sensor bracket, early 00 era.

Doing friend a favor. He had a Merc Cougar FWD POS that blew a HG. Doing him a "favor" and was going to swap out used engine. OK, 9hr book, did it 6hr after hours for low $$. Swapped it out in one eve, no start - screw around with it until 2am, no crank signal. During work the next day, found some obscure post on a mechanics forum about the manual vs auto CPS bracket. OK! Welp, the screw that hold the bracket is IN the bell housing, facing the engine....derp. Take a look and figure the trans pull is easier than the engine swap was ---- nope. All night again to R&R the trans for one little screw. The flex plate and flywheel had different location for the reluctor, so they changed the angle on the bracket to keep the sensors universal, but instead of having a bracket that mounts outside, they saved that $0.00003 per car.
                              Oof. I feel your pain that Cruze tidbit was on the back of a similar scenario. Shop owner was doing a favor for a friend with an engine with a dead hole and offered to do the repair at a discount, friend was a cheap ass, got a rando J/Y engine, the CPS from the original car couldn't swap because the plastic integral mount broke on removal, offered replacement opportunity as we'd done two recently on other Ecotecs, declined, J/Y engine goes in, said engine ended up having a bad CPS, left a message for the customer, rolled car outside while waiting on a decision, customer collects their car without notice overnight, abandoning their keys, complains about how it's mostly broken, threatens the shop, legal action ensues, shop owner wins, but it's an empty victory, and all over a $100 part on a car that might have been worth 2k. Of course that omits how we had to chase down the J/Y engine supplier after they didn't show for 3 weeks, and how they didn't pick up the core, ever. which ended up being outside to the day the shop closed.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                                Crank angle sensors on Cruze and others require the engine and/or trans to be removed, which is most cases will necessitate a replacement of AC condenser and at least one line. It's also a common failure. The book time was also comical, but not as bad as anything turbo related on an LLY/LBZ Duraturd where one really needs a service writer who does not blindly quote book time. Every time I think about replacing the alternator or servicing the rear brakes on my SVT Contour I question why I keep buying those cars.

Not to crap on American cars & trucks, but it seems that packaging for maintenance is often left to the same evil megalomaniac, even before the bean counters remove quality from components.

Guess that's why we're on an E30 forum, because we probably value ease of maintenance.
                                My ranger and explorer with the 4.0 SOHC known for stretching timing chains. So, let's put one in the back, like the Audi 4.2L :rage:
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X