• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think windows 10 is great!

What about it don't you like?
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

If you hate Win10 you're really going to hate their next OS. Ultimately, it does work, and I haven't found much to complain about lately. The best alternative is probably just to switch to any number of Linux based builds with Win emulation if you have specific software needs, but the learning curve is real, and compatibility is problematic.
      Resource hogs. I realize I'm getting old. Kids are about gone, one is already a year grad from FSU, flipped over the handle bars of a bicycle when a poor lady almost ran me over in the hot pits at Daytona last weekend, but whatevs. PASCAL and BASIC was my AP Computer Science class in HS lol. Whopping 386sx with 10mb hdd....

There's just too much fluff in modern OS's. No reason to gate all those electrons for frivolous/convenient activities IMO.

As the old saying, "best joke ever: "MICROSOFT WORKS"
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Resource hogs. I realize I'm getting old. Kids are about gone, one is already a year grad from FSU, flipped over the handle bars of a bicycle when a poor lady almost ran me over in the hot pits at Daytona last weekend, but whatevs. PASCAL and BASIC was my AP Computer Science class in HS lol. Whopping 386sx with 10mb hdd....

There's just too much fluff in modern OS's. No reason to gate all those electrons for frivolous/convenient activities IMO.

As the old saying, "best joke ever: "MICROSOFT WORKS"
        I'm not saying you should also do the same, but it's possible that I run an unactivated copy of Win10 Pro, and that has enabled me to turn off much of the pointless bloatware built in to the OS without that pesky downside of paying MS. Even so, it's a ~2GB system memory hog, but what system doesn't have at least 8GB these days?

Yeah, I started noticing creeping signs of old age coming in just after 30, however, I look forward to being anachronistic and generally irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          I think windows 10 is great!

What about it don't you like?
          I'm old. First PC was win 3.1

Win7 was the apex of MS. 8 and 8.1 was junk aside from the xp emulators and virtual machine ease. wino 10 is made for the "one button i-phantasm" crowd. Please, give me control of my hardware. I still use 9pin dbi/rs232 on a daily. 10 is a joke all day every day. Auto loading drivers, blah blah. I have the benefit of same machine, same day, same hardware and 10 is $hit, all day erry day.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

If you hate Win10 you're really going to hate their next OS.
            Wasn't the idea behind 10 that it was the last new one they'd come out with and they'd just update it forever?

Anyway, I went from 7 to 10 about 18mo ago, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised, mostly. I do have some problems with my laptop, but not sure they're caused by the OS, or something else.

As an example, when I had my old laptop, for whatever reason I had a tough time getting it to connect with our printer. When I got my new laptop it did it without me even asking it to. Kind of a simple thing, but simple things like that make it nicer to use IMO. I still use MS Office 2003, and I found a way to use the old calculator since the new one sucks.

If there's specific programs you're using that aren't playing well with Win10 I could understand the preference for 7. I don't, and I mostly just want my stuff to work, and for my uses, it seems to work better.

2000 A4 1.8TQ | 1988 325is | 1976 280Z | 1953 CJ3B

Comment

^^^that's just the thing with 10. Unless it's the OE OS, it sucks to get it working properly on older machines. My lappy is old and can only 8gb RAM, but it's still an i5 and is blazing fast with the HDD (which I use a large paging file to comp memory). BUT I can't get the SD card slot to work at all with 10, even though I've gone through all the drivers etc, it bounces on/off wifi, and a lot of my older software doesn't jive so well with 10 - win 7U has an xp mode, even. I guess I could build virtual machines, but that's a pain too, specially when using rs232 often (lappy has a 9 pin native, so don't even need FTDI).

Win 10 spread the setting out and they are a pain to navigate, the folder layout based on date vs file location, "recent places" screws up my database software, and the list goes on. Sure taking the time to set up all the setting you like, just to have them all go away when starting with the new device and/or drive etc. Win 7 default setting are easily set up, about the only thing about 7 is the manual adding of drivers (which 10 gets a lot of them wrong on older products anyways).

Doge just bliped past $.50 lol.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Yes, the settings in Win10 are a joke, but I do understand they plan to have a single access point in the near future. I also understand that Win10 probably can't last as the consumer "needs" for the OS will require a complete rework unless they want multiple versions for different styles of devices.

Much of the issue with 10 on older devices seems to be in the migration to 64 bit instruction sets, and hardware devs not bothering to rework legacy drivers. I get why MS wanted to lock it down for general security, but it did basically make lots of 5+ year old machines largely unusable. Ultimately, there are ways around unforunately normal things like SD slots being bricked, but they all require external hardware, which is the wave of the future.

That said, my otherwise fully functional laptop of around 6 years old did end up being relegated to TV duty in large part because of driver issues. OTOH, software changes require new hardware, which then requires new software, and we are expected to be good consumers by just biting the bullet and upgrading at the behest of larger corps.

Comment

I'm not saying you should also do the same, but it's possible that I run an unactivated copy of Win10 Pro, and that has enabled me to turn off much of the pointless bloatware built in to the OS without that pesky downside of paying MS. Even so, it's a ~2GB system memory hog, but what system doesn't have at least 8GB these days?
                  My desktop right now with the typical background apps and a dozen chrome tabs is hovering at 10.5GB of RAM usage. A fresh boot is like 5-6 and has been that way since I built it.
                  I assume there's some sort of suspending of apps/page filing shit that goes on in the background for something with less RAM but after running my laptop with 8GB I wouldn't buy that small again.

Most of my gripes are about how hard it is to get Win10 to deviate from default behaviour. (or the general uselessness of their online support/fixes which were subsequently removed from Win10...)

The intrusiveness of the updates, "fuck you and your job, we're restarting now" attitude that took so many "fixes" to finally disable.
                  Only then to have it start turning itself on in the middle of the night to update, losing whatever I was working on when I slept it, and then not going back to sleep or turning itself off so it just idles for hours or days.

Still can't seem to handle multiple monitors or displayport or something?
                  If it goes to sleep, on wakeup, monitors launch & resize desktop icons, windows, and the taskbar/system tray at random.
                  Systems at work seem to just lose monitors on wakeup, sometimes they'll comeback with unplugging/restarting, sometimes not.
                  Power outages do similar things.

"My Documents" isn't usable, everyone decided that's the place to dump junk folders for their program so I have 26 folders of junk and now keep my documents not in "my documents"
                  Hell, User folders in general need to not default into the same partition/drive as

Defender seems to falsely detect/quarantine stuff all the time. FTDI drivers, any ECU flashtool, etc. and is annoying to whitelist ("Allowed Threats" list does nothing, so you need to dig/scroll to the bottom to find the "Exclusions" list.)

On the other hand, there are no perfect alternatives. Yeah sure, linux and mac, great.
                  Outside of digital content creation, Mac/Linux just doesn't have widespread support.
                  Sure you can bootcamp/wine/whatever, but running a Mac just run run some sort of Windows VM is just running windows with extra steps.
                  If you're already going through the pain of Win10 anyway, why bother jumping through extra hoops?
                  Last edited by Northern; 04-16-2021, 01:15 PM.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    The MR2 got flagged when I got it smogged so I might have a huge headache ahead of me. We'll see what happens...
                    what happened?

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Man, I bought some of that Dogecoin on a whim because cheap and a few pennies and it went insane lol.
                    Man, I fucked up on DOGE. I bought $10 when it was at $0.07, sold at $0.13 thinking it was gonna flop again. Now it's at $0.35.
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

what happened?
                      The MR2 Spyders have targets on their backs and BAR has a way to see the VIN thats on the ECU and if it doesnt match the car, they immediately flag the car to go to the Referee. Mine got triggered... if you see my thread the more I pull things back to try and BAR it, the more I have to undo. Easier to just ship it out of state and either start with a MR2 thats not flagged or just try something totally new... we'll see what happens because I honestly dont know what is next.

Man, I fucked up on DOGE. I bought $10 when it was at $0.07, sold at $0.13 thinking it was gonna flop again. Now it's at $0.35.
                      I kinda want to buy a small amount and forget about it, but not sure whats a legit platform to buy those things
                      Simon
                      Current Car:
                      -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                      -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The MR2 Spyders have targets on their backs and BAR has a way to see the VIN thats on the ECU and if it doesnt match the car, they immediately flag the car to go to the Referee. Mine got triggered... if you see my thread the more I pull things back to try and BAR it, the more I have to undo. Easier to just ship it out of state and either start with a MR2 thats not flagged or just try something totally new... we'll see what happens because I honestly dont know what is next.
                        That's too fucking bad. Would selling it out of state and then back in fix anything?

I kinda want to buy a small amount and forget about it, but not sure whats a legit platform to buy those things
                        I bought it on RobinHood, fucked up company, but accessible.
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

That's too fucking bad. Would selling it out of state and then back in fix anything?

Shes dead to me lol... Ex to the Next... of course she hasnt left yet so its that awkward feeling where I still enjoy beating her up, but the loves gone. Through no fault of her own actually... which is the worst part. Who knows. The plate stays and that alone is enough motivation for me to step back into the ring with another MR2. It will be cool on other cars, but on a MR2, its king

I bought it on RobinHood, fucked up company, but accessible.
                          bummer... I think they are no longer letting people buy crypto, but also F*ck em. That whole Gamestop fiasco showed who their boss really is.
                          Simon
                          Current Car:

Comment

Northern You hit every proverbial nail on the head with the 10 description lol. 10 is fine for emails, browsing, printing etc, but my lappy is a tool I use frequently to put food on my table.

You can buy crypto on RH, the servers are just getting nailed with transactions. My buddy just got a bunch more this morning at $.30 (he bought 4k coins last night at $.13, made $1k while dreaming).

Yeah, I don't have a lot, but have been putting a few dollars here and there starting at $.04. I only have like $130 invested total in Doge and it peaked at $758 today and is hovering around $500. There's often change left over due to the small amount they make you hold in case of volatility, so been just dumping that into Doge.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

So. I was playing with a new 2t engine combination by using a concrete saw cylinder/jug in the bench, and my pit bike was stolen this week....

​​​​​​Started a fire in the gut, so went and played at the shop. Balanced and assembled the rotating assembly, decided to throw a carb on it and see what's up. It's a Zed a80 crank and Stihl 360 concrete saw hybrid. Still has a small carb and no pipe, but it rips ....

https://youtu.be/0helt5Av5N4
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Inglewood always up to no good!...

My building sits on the side of a hill, probably a slight incline from one side to the other. Today I heard a crashing noise in the garage area under our place. I figured the trash collectors were making the noise, and then ~10-15 minutes later my neighbor comes to my place and she tells me the dumpster on the other (higher) end of the building crashed into our gate on the lower end... oh, thats what that noise was. I knew exactly what it was... the punkass neighborhood kids. They were still loitering in front of the neighbors place and when I asked them about it, the story had all kinds of holes in it, but it ended up with them telling me I should thank them for moving the dumpster back after it mysteriously decided to go for a ride down the driveway.... Thanks
                                Simon
                                Current Car:

Comment

Working...
                                X