No announcement yet.

R3v Weight loss thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50g or less of carbs is barely for 225lbs when guys at gym are eating 300-500g. they think I'm crazy
    "I wanna see da boat movie"
    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
      Hope you meant the first picture. I was looking at the second one while reading that reply and thought "Damn, man! Aim higher!".
      Is it bad that I wouldn't really consider any of the ones in the first picture unless I have some alcohol in me?

Comment

Just had my monthly pinch test done today, I dropped another almost 2% body fat, down from 16.10 to 14.80. I also dropped 3.5 lbs. of body fat, I went from 34.46 lbs. of fat to 31. I lost a little over a pound of lean mass on the cut I did for 3 weeks, but I can add that back on in no time, just have to up my protein intake a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
          6 feet here, as of the first of the year I was 220lbs.

I stopped drinking soda, except for weekends. I have found if you don't allow some room for the tasty unhealthy things on occasion, you will binge and undo everything.

I drink mostly water, and have stuck to eating nothing that comes out of a package, except for butterfingers, I do love them.

Anyway, 19 days in and I am now down 10 lbs.

It's no get lean quick diet, but it is slow and steady. Which is better, because I won't gain it all back. I was in my finest condition at 185lbs, but I didn't have the muscle mass I do now, so I figure I don't have a "goal weight". My goal is to eat healthy and keep up the manual labor, I figure the rest will fall in place.

That 10 pounds has already had others noticing and commenting on how my face looks. Guess I lost an extra chin.

I'm having fun though, my wife and I made a pie the other night. We call it the Health-epie. No butter in the crust, minimal sugar, and a bunch of berries with no top crust. It tastes amazing and I don't have to fast for 2 days after eating it.

Forget the gimmicks, get creative and do what makes sense. Cut out processed foods (mostly), drink WATER, and the rest will fall in line.

On a side note, I have gone from doing 2 chin ups with much stress, to 5 without breaking a sweat. I feel better than I have in a long time, without feeling like I can't enjoy eating anymore.

Bump. Current events in the Nonsense thread lead me to this.

I fell off the wagon for a while, and nearly hit 240 lbs. Looked at myself in the mirror one morning and said "You're a fucking fatass."

Since then, I'm now down to just under 205lbs. My wife has been a huge help with me staying on track. Shooting for 180-190.

Low carb, lots of veggies, and a fruit for the sugar cravings. Only thing I really miss is beer, but the longer I go without drinking, the less I care to crack one open.

Anyone else got some updates?
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Great work mate, it's tough. It's so easy to fall into eating shitty food, and so hard to work it off later.

I'm 6'6 and let myself get to 288 some how. I did the exact same thing, looked in the mirror and realized I needed to quit being such a lazy bastard.

I am down to 272, it's been about a month. I have been cycling every day, and counting calories in My Fitness Pal. It's worked great. I have a rule where I can't eat now and burn it later, no calorie credit card. If I don't have available calories, then I can't eat it.

I also like to read books to stay motivated, I've recently read Smarter, Faster, Better and Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. This keeps me motivated and focused. Great books.

I am trying to get to the 220 range, for my height I think I would be pretty happy with that. It's going to take a while, but once you build the habit it's not too bad. I have cycled every day for the last 5 weeks or so, sans my trip up to Seattle for the picnic. I've set a goal to do a cycling hill climb race in two months, and that gives me something to focus on each day when I ride, and decide what I'm doing with my life.

I really think it's about finding the inner 'Why?' that motivates the small choices we make each day, to help us reach our goals. We really put a lot of stock into the big choices we make (what job we work, who we marry, where we live), however it's the small choices that we have the most control over. Large choices are largely based on luck, what's available at the time, and a building of these small choices. At least that's my take.

Comment

Just celebrated my one year wedding anniversary, Ive gained probably an additional ~10lbs and Im at my heaviest Ive ever been, which is in the 180s. Im only 5'6" so according to books, I should be like 130, but Ive never been 130. If I can get into the 160 range, I will be happy, but Ive always wanted to be 150. Trying to eat more veggies and fruit. Cutting down on fatty stuff, but damn I love chocolate and sweets. I tried to start exercising again, but re aggravated an old ankle injury and I cant do any kind of running for a little while. Sucks getting old (Turning 36 next week haha)
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Super excited to see you guys taking hold of your health and weight, for the better! I am a HUGE fan of this, and I focus lots of my 'free' time and energy on health related stuff. My fiance does the same, and part of the service that she provides to mankind has to deal with helping guide people towards better health.

I will be a Debbie Downer (disagree/flame away) but people's misguided obsession with counting calories is a sad sight to witness/hear/read about.

In short, treating the body, in regards to energy balance, as a simple system (i.e. a series of tubes with water going in one end, and flowing out the other, or a heat exchanger with cool mountain air flowing over the surface) is simply incorrect. People love, and I mean LOVE to quote the law of thermodynamics and the principle that energy in must equal energy out. As a Mechanical Engineer, who has an incredible grasp of the minute details that give that law its value, I will agree that the balance of energy is a universal absolute and that it cannot be tricked, deceived, or beaten.

BUT, while the energy in side of the equation is relatively simple (i.e. the caloric energy that your body extracts from the food you eat), the energy out side of the equation is far too complex and sophisticated to calculate every day. I mean, your resting heart rate plays into the energy you expend everyday. How do you calculate, with any sort of regularity, the amount of energy in your poo, (Serious question, as this is a variable in the energy out piece of the puzzle)?

It simply cannot be done, with the technology we currently have, on a regular basis.

This still doesn't take into account the fact that all calories are NOT equal. Again, calorie counting supporters will try to simplify the human body down to very basic components, which simply does not work.

If anyone is interested, I highly recommend the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It is the single most comprehensive analysis of the calorie in, calorie out hypothesis. While it is a very very very intense read, it is the kind of book that has the capacity to drastically shift an individuals thinking.

I could go on for too long, and bore too many of you, as health, second only to happiness, is the highest priority in my life.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Just tell me its ok to eat from the dollar menu at McDonalds :rofl: I have been trying to focus more on eating fruits and vegtables. Fruits Im doing pretty good, veggies, not so good
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah I don't bother to count anything. I just eat in a way that I know I didn't load up on carbs, but otherwise eat to my heart's content.

Mainly what has worked for me is no sodas, juices, or otherwise ridiculous sugar intake.

Limit bread, I'll have a burger with the bun here and there, otherwise just a lettuce wrap on the burger.

No fries, chips, stuff like that.

Mainly meat, veggies, and some fruit here and there. Salads for lunch, eggs/bacon/fruit for breakfast. Those sorts of things.

Cauliflower is an amazing thing. Can make imitation fried rice, pizza crust, ect. And keep carbs low.

I've also learned to let myself enjoy the junk food here and there, just have to make sure it really is just "here and there" and not 3-4 times a week.

Since I just hit 200, I had a orange cream shake from sheetz. It was great. I have found that if I don't let myself have some of the tasty snack items on occasion, I'll just completely fall off the wagon eventually.
                    No E30 Club
                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

I will be a Debbie Downer (disagree/flame away) but people's misguided obsession with counting calories is a sad sight to witness/hear/read about.

In short, treating the body, in regards to energy balance, as a simple system (i.e. a series of tubes with water going in one end, and flowing out the other, or a heat exchanger with cool mountain air flowing over the surface) is simply incorrect. People love, and I mean LOVE to quote the law of thermodynamics and the principle that energy in must equal energy out. As a Mechanical Engineer, who has an incredible grasp of the minute details that give that law its value, I will agree that the balance of energy is a universal absolute and that it cannot be tricked, deceived, or beaten.

BUT, while the energy in side of the equation is relatively simple (i.e. the caloric energy that your body extracts from the food you eat), the energy out side of the equation is far too complex and sophisticated to calculate every day. I mean, your resting heart rate plays into the energy you expend everyday. How do you calculate, with any sort of regularity, the amount of energy in your poo, (Serious question, as this is a variable in the energy out piece of the puzzle)?

It simply cannot be done, with the technology we currently have, on a regular basis.

You do not have to count calories with 100% accuracy to have a calorie deficit and lose weight. As a mechanical engineer I'm sure you don't measure each and every measurement down to the micron level. Yet, you can still successfully build things.

What would you suggest instead of calorie counting?

Comment

I've never tried to tally my calorie intake each day and I've never participated in any form of a fad diet or weight loss 'challenge'. My approach to helping loose (or maintain) weight has been a simple balance of eating sensible and staying active. And by staying active I'm not implying training for a Tough Mudder or the Tour de France, just getting outside and engaging in some kind of physical activity. I have two dogs which I walk 3 times a day, each walk is about a mile in length. During work, I'm on my feet for about 1/3 to 1/2 the day so I'm not anchored to my cubicle chair from 8 to 5. Finally, I exercise 3 to 4 times a week. Running (4-5 miles), riding my bike (~15-20 miles), or hitting the gym. A typical gym workout is about 75-90 minutes (that includes stretching/warm-up).

When it comes to eating, I consume just enough until I feel comfortably full.....I avoid over eating. The only eat when I'm hungry or if I know I'll be working out (i.e. light snack so I have energy to burn). Each day, either my lunch or my dinner will consist of a salad by itself with a vinaigrette dressing (rich, creamy dressings are a no-no). I do meal planning too.....not to just to help watch what I eat, it also helps with my monthly budgeting. Finally, I drink at least 1/2 gallon of water each day. Sometimes more during the summer. So lots of fruit and veggies, fish and/or chicken a few times a week, and red meat once a week.

I do have a couple of food vices/weaknesses which I simply cannot live without. Each morning, I have one 12oz cup of coffee with a splash of half-n-half. During the week I never drink alcohol but on the weekends I enjoy 2-3 microbrews with a meal from the BBQ or a pizza. It's my reward for being good the rest of the week.

With this 'routine', I have been able to maintain my weight (+/- 5 lbs.) and keep a certain level of fitness for the last couple of decades. I turn 47 this year but I certainly don't feel my age.

Jon
                        Rides...
                        1991 325i - sold :(
                        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Your normal metabolic processes burn more than exercise unless you're someone kind of premiere athlete.

For the average person I think I read somewhere your brain consumes 20-25% of all calories it takes to sustain your body.

I'm with the rest of you guys. I had been doing well a few years ago. Then two years ago I got rocked with:

Getting a divorce, giving up the house, having to give up my dog, and then getting laid off all within in a period of about 3 months.

Needless to say I haven't been taking care of myself at all the last two years in regards to food and booze, and now that I'm seeing the girlfriend much more regularly I'm actually eating more. Because I'll wake up and she has done stuff like make biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Or I take a nap and wake up to Chocolate Chip cookies.............the sentiment is fantastic but.

I need to quit being a fat, lazy fuck. I feel like crap, I look crap, and I know my health has taken a downturn.

The last couple of months all my clothes are getting tighter, so I've decided I have to get my ass in gear.
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                            You do not have to count calories with 100% accuracy to have a calorie deficit and lose weight. As a mechanical engineer I'm sure you don't measure each and every measurement down to the micron level. Yet, you can still successfully build things.

What would you suggest instead of calorie counting?
                            You would be surprised. While variables may not be measured down to the thousandths, I certainly do not leave out entire variables from equations, unless justification for doing so is generally accepted by the industry.

Though I do agree with your point/analogy above, as you do not need exact accuracy for the idea to work. To counter your point and rebut your analogy, I would never take the design of a custom home, with 4 stories, a 6 car garage, and an overhanging upper level balcony and design it in the same manner that I would design a simple single level rectangular structure with two doors and six windows. This, in a simplistic form, is a more closely related and accurate analogy to the current calorie counting ideology than the analogy you presented above. You cannot treat the design of a mansion (i.e. the human body) the same way you will treat the design of a tool shed (i.e. water flowing through a pipe), regardless of how precisely you take and record the measurements.

Here is what I suggest, and what I do in my own life. This probably will not work for everyone. As I mentioned previously, I have placed health at the top of my list of priorities. This means that it is more expensive and time consuming than simply popping through the drive thru or picking up the phone/using the internet to order a sandwich. These are merely my opinions, and I encourage anyone reading this to do their own research and use their own intellect to either validate or discredit my opinions before applying them to their lives.

- All the food I cook with has only 1 ingredient. This means I eat zero processed foods. For example, I start out with potatoes, celery, and ground beef and cook my meal from there.
                            - All of the food I eat is organic, usually purchased from local farmers (i.e. grown less than 100 miles from me) at our weekly local farmers market. This decision has positive effects outside of my own health, fyi.
                            - I avoid sugar to the best of my abilities. Meaning I rarely every eat sugar. Sugar is THE thing that is setting off our current health crisis, without a single doubt. Alzheimer's has recently been discussed (though not officially) as Type 3 Diabetes. It truly is detrimental to you.
                            - If I want to eat something (potato chips for example) I will, with the requirement that I make them myself. If I want the chips bad enough to spend the time and energy to cook them myself, then I eat them.

That's really about it. Again, this is a more extreme approach to food, and I certainly understand if most of you think I am bonkers, but it is what I do. The time and energy associated with this lifestyle is not painful or uncomfortable to me, thankfully. It was at the beginning, definitely, but with time it is now second nature.
                            Last edited by MR E30 325is; 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                              I've never tried to tally my calorie intake each day and I've never participated in any form of a fad diet or weight loss 'challenge'. My approach to helping loose (or maintain) weight has been a simple balance of eating sensible and staying active. And by staying active I'm not implying training for a Tough Mudder or the Tour de France, just getting outside and engaging in some kind of physical activity. I have two dogs which I walk 3 times a day, each walk is about a mile in length. During work, I'm on my feet for about 1/3 to 1/2 the day so I'm not anchored to my cubicle chair from 8 to 5. Finally, I exercise 3 to 4 times a week. Running (4-5 miles), riding my bike (~15-20 miles), or hitting the gym. A typical gym workout is about 75-90 minutes (that includes stretching/warm-up).

When it comes to eating, I consume just enough until I feel comfortably full.....I avoid over eating. The only eat when I'm hungry or if I know I'll be working out (i.e. light snack so I have energy to burn). Each day, either my lunch or my dinner will consist of a salad by itself with a vinaigrette dressing (rich, creamy dressings are a no-no). I do meal planning too.....not to just to help watch what I eat, it also helps with my monthly budgeting. Finally, I drink at least 1/2 gallon of water each day. Sometimes more during the summer. So lots of fruit and veggies, fish and/or chicken a few times a week, and red meat once a week.

I do have a couple of food vices/weaknesses which I simply cannot live without. Each morning, I have one 12oz cup of coffee with a splash of half-n-half. During the week I never drink alcohol but on the weekends I enjoy 2-3 microbrews with a meal from the BBQ or a pizza. It's my reward for being good the rest of the week.

With this 'routine', I have been able to maintain my weight (+/- 5 lbs.) and keep a certain level of fitness for the last couple of decades. I turn 47 this year but I certainly don't feel my age.

Jon
                              This is a fantastic approach IMO.

Comment

You would be surprised. While variables may not be measured down to the thousandths, I certainly do not leave out entire variables from equations, unless justification for doing so is generally accepted by the industry.

Though I do agree with your point/analogy above, as you do not need exact accuracy for the idea to work. To counter your point and rebut your analogy, I would never take the design of a custom home, with 4 stories, a 6 car garage, and an overhanging upper level balcony and design it in the same manner that I would design a simple single level rectangular structure with two doors and six windows. This, in a simplistic form, is more closely related and accurate analogy to the current calorie counting ideology than the analogy you presented above. You cannot treat the design of a mansion (i.e. the human body) the same way you will treat the design of a tool shed (i.e. water flowing through a pipe), regardless of how precisely you take and record the measurements.

Here is what I suggest, and what I do in my own life. This probably will not work for everyone. As I mentioned previously, I have placed health at the top of my list of priorities. This means that it is more expensive and time consuming than simply popping through the drive thru or picking up the phone/using the internet to order a sandwich. These are merely my opinions, and I encourage anyone reading this to do their own research and use their own intellect to either validate or discredit my opinions before applying them to their lives.

- All the food I cook with has only 1 ingredient. This means I eat zero processed foods. For example, I start out with potatoes, celery, and ground beef and cook my meal from there.
                                - All of the food I eat is organic, usually purchased from local farmers (i.e. grown less than 100 miles from me) at our weekly local farmers market. This decision has positive effects outside of my own health, fyi.
                                - I avoid sugar to the best of my abilities. Meaning I rarely every eat sugar. Sugar is THE thing that is setting off our current health crisis, without a single doubt. Alzheimer's has recently been discussed (though not officially) as Type 3 Diabetes. It truly is detrimental to you.
                                - If I want to eat something (potato chips for example) I will, with the requirement that I make them myself. If I want the chips bad enough to spend the time and energy to cook them myself, then I eat them.

That's really about it. Again, this is a more extreme approach to food, and I certainly understand if most of you think I am bonkers, but it is what I do. The time and energy associated with this lifestyle is not painful or uncomfortable to me, thankfully. It was at the beginning, definitely, but with time it is now second nature.
                                I understand that my analogy was an oversimplification of the situation.

I agree with your points as far as processed food, and knowing what you're actually eating, sugar causing major health issues. I disagree with the organic argument, I have not read any research that persuades me that organic or GMO free is better for the body, I do agree with the keep dollars local argument however.

However, your proposed solution does not touch on the issue of losing weight being a product of burning more energy than one consumes. If I eat 4000 calories of organic local kale I'm still not going to lose weight.

I am asking for a BETTER method than counting calories and exercise. It is a fact that with counting calories in and out you can lose weight. It might not be the best method, because as you said it's not very precise, it's less efficient than it could be if we had more precise tools for measurement. But it does work.

Now, I could be mistaken, and you could be suggesting the counting of calories along with the items you outlined earlier

I don't understand the argument that less that perfect tracking is worse than no tracking.

Comment

Working...
                                X