No announcement yet.

Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the diff in my e36 and hit a snag. The hex bolt stripped. HF bolt extractor did it's job, even though I was dubious when I bought them.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

Removing the diff in my e36 and hit a snag. The hex bolt stripped. HF bolt extractor did it's job, even though I was dubious when I bought them.
      I can attest to the amazingness of these.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

They have improved on their hand tool line that is for sure where Craftsman is now the old Harbor Freight line of crappy tools.

Edit: They are now, lol
        Sears' Craftsman tool line is drawing interest from at least 2 suitors and could be valued at as much as $2 billion.
        Last edited by M-technik-3; 10-05-2016, 06:29 AM.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I have a Hanson bolt extractor set for large bolts (19-30?) and the steel is much finer machined and the edges are much sharper. I was afraid that the HF set, being rounded, wouldn't bite into the metal as much, so I made sure to really wail on it.

I hope Husqvarna buys Craftsman. Techtronic is the HF of Amazon.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

this is a really old thread and i probably already said this before, but since i memory is short, i will say it again.

harbor freight is great for what it is. cheap tools that are more or less of an acceptable level of quality for a HOME OWNER. if you can afford better quality tools or if you use them for a living, spend the extra money and buy better quality.

otherwise, understand the limitations compared to the price. i own and buy items from there now and then. i would probably never buy an electric or battery operated power tool there.

with all that said, we have pawn shops on every corner here in texas. i stop in there on occasion to buy most of my tools. i will never pay more than half of the new price though. usually, i pay 1/4 to 1/3 or i walk out the door. as a result, i have a LOT of tools.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

If it's a one time use or a light duty they are fine.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

My general rule on Horrible Freight is that if it has moving parts, avoid it. That said, I have the aluminum racing jack (1.5 ton, $60 bucks!), a 1 ton chain hoist, and ratchet set from them that have been fantastic. ^ But yeah, light duty stuff for sure.
                sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                  My general rule on Horrible Freight is that if it has moving parts, avoid it. That said, I have the aluminum racing jack (1.5 ton, $60 bucks!), a 1 ton chain hoist, and ratchet set from them that have been fantastic. ^ But yeah, light duty stuff for sure.
                  I have their 20 ton shop press and other that it being slow to get into position, it works awesome. Stuff that is dead simple in operation works just fine.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                  Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                  Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                  X