Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    I got all my tools from lowes kept everything kobalt for the most part. It a good brand and I've never broken a kobalt tool yet.... My impact set was like 60 bucks for like 15 deep sockets.
    I had a Kobalt torque wrench literally fall apart in my hands. It was old, lol, one of the plastic handled ones.

Dad actually took it back and got a new one. New, metal handle one, looks and works great.

I bought a Craftsman one. lol.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      I got all my tools from lowes kept everything kobalt for the most part. It a good brand and I've never broken a kobalt tool yet.... My impact set was like 60 bucks for like 15 deep sockets.
      Yeah I have a mix of Craftsman and HF. My HF impact set was $20 for like 12mm-32mm or something weird like that. I really only use the 17, 19, 21 or 22 (I don't remember), 30 and 32 though.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
        I had a Kobalt torque wrench literally fall apart in my hands. It was old, lol, one of the plastic handled ones.

Dad actually took it back and got a new one. New, metal handle one, looks and works great.

I bought a Craftsman one. lol.

I believe the torque wrench I've been using is a snap on or craftsman
        Originally posted by lambo View Post
        Yeah I have a mix of Craftsman and HF. My HF impact set was $20 for like 12mm-32mm or something weird like that. I really only use the 17, 19, 21 or 22 (I don't remember), 30 and 32 though.
        My set started at 10mm and went to like 25 I think not. Idk why but I just prefer name brand tools. But when it comes to stuff like jacks and engine hoist/stand harbor freight is the place to go.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

aaahhh I been wondering about harbor freight tools, glad I found the thread. very helpful
          Originally posted by dvck
          I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Thinking about getting this table top band saw. Anyone have any experience with it?

Instagram
            sigpic
            Current: 99 M3
            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Got a 20 ton press thing is amazing. Used the 20% coupon and got it for 160

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

This guy worked quite well removing the front tie rods from the M3. I'll give it a try on the control arms tomorrow.

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

It has been said in this thread somewhere that those top teeth may "pop" off at any time under load.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                    It has been said in this thread somewhere that those top teeth may "pop" off at any time under load.
                    i used it to pop a couple of joints honestly its a bit crude but it seems well built
                    88 325is Five Speed
                    Lachssilber

Comment

^

Yes but its still made of Chinese cast "metal" could be pot metal, could cast iron, could be steel who really knows its Chinese casting so thats kinda scary . Still I would have spent the extra 12 bucks and bought the OTC equivalent
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        ^

Yes but its still made of Chinese cast "metal" could be pot metal, could cast iron, could be steel who really knows its Chinese casting so thats kinda scary . Still I would have spent the extra 12 bucks and bought the OTC equivalent
                        Oh, please. It's not like it's going to explode, and you're not likely to use it more than a couple of times unless you work other people's cars, in which case the higher end tool is a business expense.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Drill it out and heli-coil it. Then no worries.

Comment

I've gone through 3 of the aluminum jacks and the 4th I have now is on it's way out.

I also have the low profile jack which has held up great but it's heavy as fuck. Not good for taking to the racetrack..

I have the bottle jack too but I don't trust it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              Oh, please. It's not like it's going to explode, and you're not likely to use it more than a couple of times unless you work other people's cars, in which case the higher end tool is a business expense.
                              Oh you must never have had a tool that is designed like this to take high stress loads fail in glorious fashion while your hands or face are near by ehhh. Because thats almost exactly whats its doing at that point is exploding when all that stored energy is released when it fails under that load, I suppose you like Chinese built strut spring compressors too huh

The H/F separator is 24 bucks and the OTC equivalent can be found almost anywhere for 35-40...... Sorry I will spend the extra 11-16 bucks on the higher quality tool thank you very much, even if I only use it 1 time a year. I like to keep my hands and fingers like they are.

Edit: from earlier in this very thread

Originally posted by AnimalE30 View Post
                              Be Careful:

First time I used it, it worked great. The second time, a 1in section of the lower clamp part broke off. Sounded like a shot gun blast. I was lucky the chunk didn't hit me anywhere.
                              Last edited by mrsleeve; 03-28-2015, 01:01 AM.
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

I went into harbor freight for the first time in a long time and I was shocked by the prices since when is "cheap shit" expensive. I have never seen the fuss about harbor freight

Would never buy anything like power tools,generators, air tools from them
                                1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                                2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                                2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Working...
                                X