Solar Roadways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Roadways

I remember hearing about these years ago, but recently they've been getting a lot of attention and have over $1,000,000 raised on indiegogo.

The human in me is saying freaking finally, this is a huge step towards the future. So many of our current world problems could be reduced or eleminated with this single technology, let's get it done yesterday.

But the car enthusiast in me is saying screw that, this can only lead to the end of so many things I like. The road surface is tempered glass, I can only imagine how that is for grip, and if they do break eventually what's it going to do to our tires. They heat up in the winter so no more snow sliding while everyone else is staying off the roads. They are pressure sensitive and can relay traffic info, but how about when the police start using them for speeding and reckless driving tickets?

What are your thoughts?
    Byron
    Leichtbau

I feel like they would get destroyed pretty quickly. Semis, car accidents, shit falling off trucks, etc. And I'm guessing they would need to be cleaned fairly frequently since roads aren't exactly clean. Since they're glass, there's also the issue of sun glare, unless they come up with a non-reflective surface, but I feel like that would make them less efficient, though I'm not really sure. And then there's the cost, the roads around here are shit already and they're only asphalt, how are they gonna pay for fucking solar panels? Maybe it could be feasible in the future when solar panels are cheap and easy to make, but I can't see this happening any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      I feel like they would get destroyed pretty quickly. Semis, car accidents, shit falling off trucks, etc. And I'm guessing they would need to be cleaned fairly frequently since roads aren't exactly clean. Since they're glass, there's also the issue of sun glare, unless they come up with a non-reflective surface, but I feel like that would make them less efficient, though I'm not really sure. And then there's the cost, the roads around here are shit already and they're only asphalt, how are they gonna pay for fucking solar panels? Maybe it could be feasible in the future when solar panels are cheap and easy to make, but I can't see this happening any time soon.
      Yeah, when a normal road breaks they just go get a dumptruck full of asphalt and patch things up. With this there's glass and technology to replace $$$.

This whole thing is so overblown. A cool concept but people are ignoring the obvious problems with it and saying "OMG FUND THIS NOW!!!!" when it is years away from being even conceptually feasible.
      '91 325i

Comment

Good idea for the future, but how about a solar array on every rooftop in the country to start off.
        sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
          Good idea for the future, but how about a solar array on every rooftop in the country to start off.
          exactly

Comment

From 2009 -

The Department of Energy just gave $100,000 to upstart company Solar Roadways, to develop 12-by-12-foot solar panels, dubbed "Solar Roads," that can be embedded into roads, pumping power into the grid. The panels may also feature LED road warnings and built-in heating elements that could prevent roads from freezing.
            sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

we had this discussion a while back

My 1st response in that thread is appropriate here as well

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              It cost anywhere from a million a mile to 10million, or even a billion a or more a mile in places. For conventional road building.

You have any idea what this shit will cost build and maintain ..................................shudders at the though.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

I keep seeing this all over the net, I laugh every time I see it....almost as funny as lunar solar power.

I see maybe some busy city intersections or streets with lane changes during rush hours, but that's as far as this idea will go.

Comment

It's a cool idea IMO, but not for roads. I think it is more suitable for large open areas where cars don't travel 60+MPH. Ie; parking lots, shopping malls, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                    It's a cool idea IMO, but not for roads. I think it is more suitable for large open areas where cars don't travel 60+MPH. Ie; parking lots, shopping malls, etc.
                    The problem with that though, is that during the day, most of the panels will be covered.

I've seen a few solar farms around here, which is probably a good idea. Ugly, but functional. Rooftop solar panels in the city is the best idea IMO. A lot of buildings in the city have flat roofs not being used. Not so sure I'd want them in my neighborhood though, I've seen them on a few houses and they're a bit of an eyesore. I'm sure they'll come up with something more discrete/attractive soon enough though.

Comment

iduno.
                      its pretty convincing and seems very logical.

i just think they need a different "grip" design, anything above 25 on that bumpy stuff might not be a very smooth ride.

Comment

I"m not convinced that they can absorb enough power to drive itself in the winter especially while a snow storm is going on and its -10 degrees and cloudy the whole month.

And I doubt that the energy companies are gonna let the consumers reap the benefits of getting the energy from the road.

Also I bet it wont stand up to oil spills.
                        Last edited by ///M42 sport; 05-26-2014, 08:23 PM.
                        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

It seems like a cool concept--I hadn't heard of it before. I'm all for infrastructure improvements. We need to spend money on infrastructure projects if we want to stay ahead of the rest of the world.

However... I'm concerned about the longevity of the panels, and the cost. We'll see where it goes.
                          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

This has been all over lately and I have some issues with it. There are several fundamental problems with the concept. First off is cost, completely tearing up roadways and installing wiring and they-don't-exist-yet panels is a monumentally expensive concept. Second, we have implementation - we haven't seen any viable prototypes, they must be extremely durable and provide good traction while being modular, waterproof, efficient and relatively cheap. I think it's a poorly thought out idea and will never work, there is plenty of far more viable real estate for solar arrays such as roof space and unsettled, inarable land.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

I agree with getting them on the roof of your homes, I don't see them logical on the roads.
                              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                              X