Does a TRUE e30 enthusiast need to wrench on their cars?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ST1G
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Bingo. Essentially every rich car nut I know does this as they understand economies of time. The only exception being something nostalgic that they worked on for years and years, or maybe with a family member.
    Yep. The book 'The Millionaire Mind' discusses this. Unless working on cars is a catharsis for you, if you're making more than about $60 an hour at your regular job it makes a lot more sense to just pay someone to take care of things that you're not an expert at.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by matthugie
    If I were mega rich I can guarantee I would leave most of it to people who have more aptitude and training than myself.

    Also, most people who are mega rich are also very busy and don't have time to spend a full weekend in a garage cursing a seized bolt.
    Bingo. Essentially every rich car nut I know does this as they understand economies of time. The only exception being something nostalgic that they worked on for years and years, or maybe with a family member.

    Leave a comment:


  • matthugie
    replied
    Everyone has different aptitudes and levels of enthusiasm. Personally, I'm rubbish at cosmetic work and am not all that patient when working on cars (there may be a correlation there). I'm OK at the mechanical side, but not great. I do most of my own wrenching, but if I were mega rich I can guarantee I would leave most of it to people who have more aptitude and training than myself.

    Also, most people who are mega rich are also very busy and don't have time to spend a full weekend in a garage cursing a seized bolt.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    There really is very little truth in it, because you're defining something that is pretty arbitrary and subjective. The way people talk about it, being a "car enthusiast" is like a religion; "no real enthusiast would drive an automatic" "no real enthusiast wouldn't change his own oil" "no real enthusiast would drive a truck" "no real enthusiast doesn't like miatas" "no real enthusiast can't weld" "no real enthusiast pays a mechanic to do X"

    You like food, but you're not a chef, but a some chefs don't really care about food and what they're doing - are they still food enthusiasts? Someone else loves cars, but they're not mechanically inclined and pay someone else to work on it, but they still love cars - are they not car enthusiasts? Where are you personally drawing the line? Different people enjoy the hobby in different ways and being good at something or a professional at something doesn't necessarily mean you're enthusiastic about it.

    If you love cars and the driving experience, and have a desire to learn about them, that's all you need to be a car enthusiast. How far you take it or what you do with it is totally dependent on the person.
    you're taking this way too seriously.

    Leave a comment:


  • ST1G
    replied
    No.

    /Thread

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    while it is certainly a logical fallacy, there is still truth in it. There are people that show up with a chequebook, "mod their car", don't know anything about it, and then sell it when they get bored.

    lets put it this way - I like food. Technically, I'm a food enthusiast - but I'm not even close to being as much of an enthusiast as a professional chef who can cook their own meals from scratch. I'm better at paying somebody else to do it for me.
    There really is very little truth in it, because you're defining something that is pretty arbitrary and subjective. The way people talk about it, being a "car enthusiast" is like a religion; "no real enthusiast would drive an automatic" "no real enthusiast wouldn't change his own oil" "no real enthusiast would drive a truck" "no real enthusiast doesn't like miatas" "no real enthusiast can't weld" "no real enthusiast pays a mechanic to do X"

    You like food, but you're not a chef, but a some chefs don't really care about food and what they're doing - are they still food enthusiasts? Someone else loves cars, but they're not mechanically inclined and pay someone else to work on it, but they still love cars - are they not car enthusiasts? Where are you personally drawing the line? Different people enjoy the hobby in different ways and being good at something or a professional at something doesn't necessarily mean you're enthusiastic about it.

    If you love cars and the driving experience, and have a desire to learn about them, that's all you need to be a car enthusiast. How far you take it or what you do with it is totally dependent on the person.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    You also have to think about situations besides money. If an older guy who has arthritis or other problems and cant work on his car but still enjoys owning and driving classics, I would consider that an enthusiast even if any work is done at a shop.

    I think the choice of shop can also be telling of enthusiast or not.

    Leave a comment:


  • 613EDRTY
    replied
    There's deff different scenarios. If I owned an e30 m3 I wouldn't have prepped it for paint myself like I did to my eta this winter. I have a friend who has an e30 m3 you'll see it this summer mr burns. He's a wealthy guy and doesn't get his hands dirty. Id still consider him an enthusiast. He's owned something like 24 different E21's and E30's over the years.

    This same convo often gets brought up at the ski hill with my friends. What defines a gaper a true park skier a true bc skier etc. If you don't ride twin tips are you a gaper? If you don't have avi training a sled and carry a beacon are you a true bc skier? etc

    My answer is usually the same. As long as your having fun who cares. Some people care to much about others. Unfortunately my neighbor is one of these people...

    That being said I hate those "built not bought stickers" and I will need your help when it comes time to do my waterpump, tb, thermostat Mr Burns.

    Leave a comment:


  • MF DOOM
    replied
    Id still work on my car. I am far to cheap to pay for any work besides alignments.. Hell, thats probably why my e39 is still collecting dust. That and theres not a shop worth taking your car to here. The one "import" shop here charged me for a 4 wheel alignment on my e30..

    Plus working on cars always ends up being a pretty good time. My family is full of gear heads so the usual get togethers are mostly car oriented.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    ITT: why I enjoy the Vintage and quit going to Bimmerfest.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

    I'm a car enthusiast, not a E30 enthusiast or a BMW enthusiast. I don't get delusions of grandeur about my being a "true enthusiast" because I work on my cars, though it is definitely a part of my being an enthusiast, because being an enthusiast is a totally subjective experience.
    while it is certainly a logical fallacy, there is still truth in it. There are people that show up with a chequebook, "mod their car", don't know anything about it, and then sell it when they get bored.

    lets put it this way - I like food. Technically, I'm a food enthusiast - but I'm not even close to being as much of an enthusiast as a professional chef who can cook their own meals from scratch. I'm better at paying somebody else to do it for me.

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    E39 guys
    Don't paint with such a wide brush there, kemosabe. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Tasty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    Jeremy Clarkson= fracas creator
    Richard Hammon= gearhead
    James May=mega gearhead.

    ftfy

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    True enthusiast


    I'm a car enthusiast, not a E30 enthusiast or a BMW enthusiast. I don't get delusions of grandeur about my being a "true enthusiast" because I work on my cars, though it is definitely a part of my being an enthusiast, because being an enthusiast is a totally subjective experience.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    so we all agree to a certain degree.

    Nando hit the nail on the head.

    Jeremy Clarkson= Car Enthusiast. not gearhead
    Richard Hammon= gearhead
    James May=mega gearhead.


    what about "famous" people who use older BMW's as part of their image? such as:

    Tyler The Creator
    Frank Ocean
    Action Bronson

    think any of those guys actually truly turn wrenches on their Bmw's?

    I doubt it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...