No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now I'm strongly leaning towards the maxxis bighorns. Amazon prime has them pretty cheap and I've read good things.

Anyone here tried them?
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I'm a BFG or bust kinda guy, but I've heard decent things too.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
        I'm a BFG or bust kinda guy, but I've heard decent things too.
        I have some Cooper ATPs on my truck. Great tire. But as they wear, they are getting louder. Pretty common though.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Another option that I was considering is the Dick Cepek Extreme Country, but I haven't seen much info on them yet.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
            Hey guys. I have a set of Old Man Emu (ARB) Hydro Charger Sport shocks that will fit Trucks and 4Runners from '86-'95. Part numbers- front 60072 rear 60065. Low miles that were all highway miles.
            $200 shipped in the states
            http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5767575383.html
            That's a good deal. Any interest in splitting them up? I need a set of fronts.

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Got my Gobi rack not too long ago..

Comment

The very rough around the edges, bulletproof DD. 2001 4.7l Automatic Access cab Toyota Tundra. I sometimes fight the urge to ditch it and pick up something more engaging to drive, but I invest too much of my income to justify spending the money on an M5/M3/etc. yet.

Plus it snows, and I have no fear in the winter, no matter how much snow falls. Plus it hauls a loaded car trailer pretty well, and I do a lot of home upgrades and this hauls lots of lumber/materials with ease.

Plus 2, like I said earlier even with 285k miles, and a very obvious history of being severely abused most of its life, this thing is bulletproof. Ice cold winter starts early in the AM don't phase it one bit. Full trust in this vehicle, which is big to me. If anyone is thinking of getting one, do it. Will not regret it.

My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Failed VA inspection today.

Inspector said the frame had rusted through at the right rear control arm mount. I didn't believe him, because I've looked the truck over and didn't see anything past surface spots here and there. How could it be rotted through in one area?

Well, I was proved wrong. Sounds like it's common to since it's so close to the muffler. Other side is solid.

Oh well, it was an excuse to go buy the rest of my welding supplies (already have the welder.). Working on it tonight, cut the exhaust on the front side of the muffler and it swung out of the way to give me room. I'm in the middle of cutting away the thin stuff. I bought a 3x48" sheet of 1/8" steel.

Plan is to cut a piece to fit in flush with the frame, then slap another on top of it with overhang. I bought some rustoleum cold galvanizing spray and black paint. Figure I'll also throw some undercoating on top of it all.

My only concern is what to do about the inside where I won't be able to spray?

Part of me wants to just not worry about it, I know that if it rusts out once it will happen again and I'll be right back at it in 5 years.
                  No E30 Club

Comment

Well this has been a long night. I'm actually surprised how well it turned out, I've never had good luck with flux core Mig in the past. Then again the last time I mig welded with the stuff I really had no clue what I was doing.

On with the show, letting it cool now then paint. They aren't the prettiest, but I wasn't about to spend the money right now on a tank for gas shielding. I'm confident in it.

No E30 Club

Comment

When you get it cut open, take the hose to it and blow out all the dirt you can and wire brush (by hand) all the lose scale you can get off. POR 15 as much as you can, but staying back away from where you will be welding (bad fumes) , and then coat as much of the inside of the frame as you can with Fluid film. For where you will be welding 3M makes a weld though primer you can use to cover the last little bit close to the weld area on the inside and inside of the filler plate. . The weldable primer is very expensive though IIRC last time I bought a can it was like 40 bucks and does not go
                      very far.

If there is a factory drain/access hole somewhere close by you can for go a lot of the prep stuff, and just clean it up really good, and hose the shit out of the inner part of the frame and new filler with fluid film when you are all done..... Or just say to hell with it fix it as best you can, and worry about it when it comes back (do you think you will still have it when it comes back?)

Edit: You had it fixed by the time I got my response typed up lol. I would not worry about it too much, looks like you have much better sucess, but you had a little more meat to deal with gluing to than I did..... Looks like a solid repair to me
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Yea I figured screw it an went to town lol. Cut out a decent chunk and cleaned out inside the frame as best I could. Even inside the frame on the outer side there wasn't any rust. It was literally this one spot, kind of makes me want to replace the muffler with a resonator to give a little more clearance.

There's enough holes in the frame in the area I can definitely spray some of the galvanizer in there and follow up with a coating. I'll look into the fluid film.

I honestly don't know if I'll have it when this resurfaces. The whole family has fallen in love with it, We'll probably use it until it's not realistic to repair anymore. I honestly don't see why I couldnt get it to 500k at this point though.
                        No E30 Club

Comment

Fluid Film is kinda pricey but is available everywhere, and not toxic shit, its mostly Sheeps wool oil, very sticky and lasts on the outside of my frames for a winter season for the most part, other than very high wear areas. I apply once in Oct/Nov and run till high wear areas dont look greasy anymore and take a "warm" winter afternoon to crawl under shit hose and power wash and reapply normally sometime in feb on DD's. I do wash my rigs down once a week or every day if wet salty/chloride exposure is bad or have driven a lot that day.

Takes about 3 cans per rig for me average to get decent coverage
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                            The very rough around the edges, bulletproof DD. 2001 4.7l Automatic Access cab Toyota Tundra. I sometimes fight the urge to ditch it and pick up something more engaging to drive, but I invest too much of my income to justify spending the money on an M5/M3/etc. yet.

Plus it snows, and I have no fear in the winter, no matter how much snow falls. Plus it hauls a loaded car trailer pretty well, and I do a lot of home upgrades and this hauls lots of lumber/materials with ease.

Plus 2, like I said earlier even with 285k miles, and a very obvious history of being severely abused most of its life, this thing is bulletproof. Ice cold winter starts early in the AM don't phase it one bit. Full trust in this vehicle, which is big to me. If anyone is thinking of getting one, do it. Will not regret it.
                            Still looks pretty good from 20 feet out! I picked up a 13' Tundra this year. It's been great so far. I'd like to keep it for the long run so hopefully it stays as reliable as yours has been.
                            Instagram
                            sigpic
                            Current: 99 M3
                            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
                              Still looks pretty good from 20 feet out! I picked up a 13' Tundra this year. It's been great so far. I'd like to keep it for the long run so hopefully it stays as reliable as yours has been.
                              Thanks! I may upload a pic from the rear and of the bed. That's where the abuse really shows!

This goes without saying, but take good care of it and it'll have your back for quite a while!
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                                Anybody rebuild 3g4r calipers?
                                Most guys just swap them out for the 13WL tundra calipers. Bigger rotors, bigger calipers for the same price as buying rebuilt caliper kit.
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X