Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyundai Veloster turbo.

Thoughts?

I'm in the planning phase still for a new car, wife is on board so step 1 is out of the way.

As per the other thread I made recently, ive been leaning towards the Fiesta ST due to its fun factor, price, warranty, mpg, free oil changes, and 0% financing.

No need for a 4 door, we've got the 4runner for family duty. This will strictly be my commuter.

So now the Veloster turbo is in my sights. From what I gather it's a bit less sporty than the FiST, shares all the same perks for buying new but has one major plus.

10yr/100000 mile warranty. I'll be putting 30k a year on this car, so the FiST would be up in a year.

Anyone have experiences with the Veloster to share? I haven't been in a Veloster, but I have been in a couple Hyundai rentals and they all seem to be built well considering the price bracket.

No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Nice

I like their style and interior.

Have you driven the 2017 Ford Focus RS?

350 hp, AWD, 6 speed, brembo, recaro ...all sound fun.
    Last edited by Javier h; 10-30-2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Typically I'm not a big Hyundai fan, but I've seen a ton of these things on the road recently. They seem pretty cool and it is sorta hard to beat 10 years and 100,000 miles. But if you think about it today what's the likely hood of something going wrong, it has become pretty common to see engines going into the 2-300,000 mile mark no issue.

Why are you looking at fiesta st's what about the focus st? I don't think the price difference is all that much.
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
        I like their style and interior.

Have you driven the 2017 Ford Focus RS?

350 hp, AWD, 6 speed sounds fun.
        Just looking at a economical daily to drive 80 miles a day and not be bored out of my mind. I've still got the S4 for my adrenaline junky problem.

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
        Typically I'm not a big Hyundai fan, but I've seen a ton of these things on the road recently. They seem pretty cool and it is sorta hard to beat 10 years and 100,000 miles. But if you think about it today what's the likely hood of something going wrong, it has become pretty common to see engines going into the 2-300,000 mile mark no issue.

Why are you looking at fiesta st's what about the focus st? I don't think the price difference is all that much.
        Mainly just trying to minimize cost. At this point, aside from what I'll be putting down. Once I sell the Saab and Miata, I'll only be spending $80 more a month on the new car. (Insurance, fuel, payment all factored in.) Worth it IMO because I won't have to worry about maintenance/repairs for a few years.
        No E30 Club
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Neuville and Sordo are doing suprisingly well with them in WRC.

i think the brand has moved on from their days of cheap crapboxes.
          past:
          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:
          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

My girlfriend has a base Veloster, and I really enjoy driving that car. I have also had experience with a coworkers focus st. And honestly, the veloster was more enjoyable in almost every way. I have heard the FiST is a little more refined for some reason, but the focus was a horrible car to drive, you had no power then all this power came on. Pretty much, you were either driving slower than a base Focus, or you were driving white knuckled holding on for dear life. Oh and has mileage was atrocious, something like 22-23 combined.

TLDR: please don't buy a FoST, it's not a refined or economical car. I can't say anything about how the FiST drives but it looks way worse than the veloster turbo.

Comment

They do look kind of neat, but the ones I've heard sound like farts.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                They do look kind of neat, but the ones I've heard sound like farts.
                Yea there would be no modifications lol.

Well, maybe a tune once the warranty is up.
                No E30 Club

Comment

The warranty is nice if you're looking for economical. You won't be out big engine or transmission money.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

I almost hate to say it, but I'd put it in contention. I drive a lot of rental cars and am always impressed with the Hyundai's that I drive. Normally any rental with 20k miles or more on it feels, old, tired, loose and rattly. I've had rental Hyundai's with over 30k that feel new and tight. Seats are still strong, switchgear, etc. One other data point, my little brother used to work in arbitration at the world's largest wholesale auto auction and will tell you he never had to arb a Hyundai, which is a huge testament to their quality. Still, might need to turn in your man card.
                    sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

I once spent 18 hours cleaning just the interior of one of these cars f these cars haha the 3 door design is absolutely stupid in my opinion.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

For what it's worth I work at a KIA dealer (Hyundai and KIA are the same company for those who aren't aware) and the quality has skyrocketed in the last few years. Plus the warranty is unbeatable. I've seen engines replaced on 8 year old 80k mile cars with barely any oil chance history basically no questions asked. Hyundai is generally a little bit more refined as well.
                        Originally posted by LJ851
                        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

I think the Veloster is a great car. I had the chance to drive one two months ago for a complete lapping day at a dealership-sponsored event at a local racetrack giving rides to customers, and the car was very surprising! Kept up to brand new Golf GTIs no problem. Brakes were manageable, fuel starvation non-existent (ran it totally empty haha) good power and decent handling... great car from a performance standpoint (for a front wheel drive lower end car, of course)

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post

10yr/100000 mile warranty. I'll be putting 30k a year on this car, so the FiST would be up in a year.
                            Might be worth looking into the Carmax bumper-to-bumper warranty. A few grand extra on any of their cars and they have good coverage.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                              Might be worth looking into the Carmax bumper-to-bumper warranty. A few grand extra on any of their cars and they have good coverage.
                              Yup, I just realized that this is actually a car worth buying used.

The Fiesta ST would be pointless to buy used, because the warranty wouldn't work out for me (30k a year)

I can pick up a loaded VT for $15-18k at CarMax with under 20k miles, and still enjoy the warranty for 2 or 3 years.

Now to sell the Miata and Saab.

Also worth noting, the Hyundai offers a lot of high end options as well. HID, LED tails, keyless entry/starting, heated seats, ect.
                              No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                              X