Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naplesE30
    replied
    May finally be picking up a K31 tomorrow after around a year of looking for one local to me. A great older guy at a small shop that specializes in high end import guns that I routinely check just realized that he had his own personal k31 buried in the back of his safe. He called me and said over the phone he thought $500 was a fair price. Were going to look at it tomorrow together and pull the butt plate off to see if there is a troop tag. I am optimistic it will be in good shape as he has some nice 1911's on the rack and he used to have a bunch of k31's years ago. I am assuming he probably picked one of the better stocked ones for himself.

I haven't found much on K31 problems, or things in particular to look for with them. Just the stocks are usually beat up around the butt plate. Any insights are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post

Is that an actual early gun or one of the 1918 repros that Colt did a few years back? Either way it's super rad.
    The 2011 Anniversary ANVIII pistol, anything before the 50s would have heat treating issues impacting longevity.

Leave a comment:

• HennaE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob View Post
    That is super cool! Would look so sick with like a fixed power old school weaver scope on top, pretend to be Carlos Hathcock on Bambi
    Oh yeah. but a Weaver 330 scope is worth more than the rifle is. Ive already dont some looking, 4 digit. Would be badass, but highly unlikely ill end up going that route. Considered just throwing a modern low profile scope on it after getting the barrel/stock redone, and having some action/trigger work done.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    That is super cool! Would look so sick with like a fixed power old school weaver scope on top, pretend to be Carlos Hathcock on Bambi

Leave a comment:

• HennaE30
    replied
    Well, if it works good on living things, it'll work good on drywall. I like to refer to the box-o-truth testing. Buckshot will definitely go through typical drywall construction and still have some ass behind it. So will 22, and 556, and anything else that is effective for self defense. There's no fighting physics unfortunately. I know the internet likes to claim "well I wont miss!", sure, OK.

Yea. That’s definitely true. Anyone who’s played Siege blindly fired through a wall with a shotgun and killed someone knows what up. I kid of course. Home defense is a tricky subject, and there are countless approaches that can be taken towards the matter.

On another topic, I have a Remington model 1903 from 1944 (during the war, Springfield allowed Remington to produce rifles under government request because their operations could not supply the demand at the time) that I want to restore but I’m kind of at a loss what route to go. I considered getting the barrel blued or Teflon-coated, but I believe the period-correct practice would be to have it parkerized? Anyone able to confirm anything regarding this?

It was my grandfathers. I found it in sitting in the back of his closet and told him that if he was going to let it collect dust, I was going to take it home. It’s chambered in 30-06 (of course, as were all rifles of that time), and my goal is to eventually hunt with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
    I know that if you shoot a wall with buckshot, you’re going to blow a huge hole in it. But at least you’re not instantly murdering someone you care about in the next room or couple rooms over while shooting an intruder (see my FMJ story LOL).
    Well, if it works good on living things, it'll work good on drywall. I like to refer to the box-o-truth testing. Buckshot will definitely go through typical drywall construction and still have some ass behind it. So will 22, and 556, and anything else that is effective for self defense. There's no fighting physics unfortunately. I know the internet likes to claim "well I wont miss!", sure, OK.

FWIW, I live in a row house, so it gets really dicey what with neighbors and all.

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    eight? Like one more than 7? baller!
    I actually bought 10 total across two dealers. Unfortunately by the time that they entered the orders the next day, the guns were all out of stock or cancelled. They had CZ P-09s listed for a price that was low enough to assume price error, but high enough that it could have been some weird promo deal or wholesale dumping of excess product. I assumed it was too good to be true, which ended up being the case. My dreams of suggestive poses in bed surrounded by Czechs was dashed.

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    thanks, pistol was built by Mars Armament, it only has around 3k on it, the other one with the rail has Ionbond and 8k and looks new in comparison lol. I even did a 2k challenge (2k rounds, no lube or cleaning) with that one.
    Is that an actual early gun or one of the 1918 repros that Colt did a few years back? Either way it's super rad.

Leave a comment:

• HennaE30
    replied
    Gun Thread

Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
    This advice routinely makes me mutter my way to the door at gun stores-

I say that in jest, but it does irritate the shit out of me when some matter-of-fact gun store employee starts spewing advice to someone that is clearly new and less informed without explaining how many factors there are to consider.

While a shotgun is a super effective defense weapon, over penetration inside a house is just as big if not greater concern than other pistol and rifle rounds. All you have to do is look at buckshot and slug tests on drywall. They will effectively punch through more layers than you're likely to encounter inside your house, and still carry enough energy to be a problem on the other side. I used to have a home defense shotgun before we had a little freeloader in the room next door. Over penetration became a real concern for me and I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of a stray pellet getting away. Obviously shot placement is key, but having 9 chances for a miss per trigger pull made it a less than ideal option for me. Preference as mentioned is huge. Ammo choice is huge. Home layout and neighbor proximity is huge.

I'll get off my soap box now. I don't want it to seem like I'm saying what you're doing is wrong, or suggest you haven't already considered all of this. My concern is when people throw out advice, it can get picked up by a less informed individual who may take it as gospel without knowing better.

Again it comes down to personal preference, but agreed. I'm not advertising where I am to an intruder. I'm also not going to skyblast my SxS out the window like creepy uncle Joe suggests.

I meant more from a multi-layer sort of thing. I know that if you shoot a wall with buckshot, you’re going to blow a huge hole in it. But at least you’re not instantly murdering someone you care about in the next room or couple rooms over while shooting an intruder (see my FMJ story LOL). The cocking topic, I’ve heard stories of intruders getting scared and leaving when hearing the chambering of a 12 gauge but what truth there is to that, I’m not sure.

Personally, I’m a handgun-home-defense person myself (a shotgun is too clunky for my liking in an enclosed area), but I like to throw out multiple options for things to think about. Maybe I wasn’t thorough enough with my explanation, and it made me seem ignorant and speaking on something I wasn’t educated on. But like I said, firearms and home defense are 95% preference. The most important part is to be comfortable with whatever you choose to defend yourself with, whether is a .22 or a .500S&W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied

This is f-ing hot, love a well used 1911. Who built it?

thanks, pistol was built by Mars Armament, it only has around 3k on it, the other one with the rail has Ionbond and 8k and looks new in comparison lol. I even did a 2k challenge (2k rounds, no lube or cleaning) with that one.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    eight? Like one more than 7? baller!

This is f-ing hot, love a well used 1911. Who built it?

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    I bought eight CZ P-09s last night. It was a deal that couldn't be passed up, even though it is probably too good to be true. Cocks crossed that they actually ship and the order isn't cancelled. I desperately want to reenact the sexy gun stud meme surrounded by guns in bed with a lactose intolerant twist.

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    I have a 2016 made Remlin 1895GS in 45-70 and fit and finish is just fine on it. It is essentially a range toy that I got to hurt my shoulder and hurl fireballs, and it just laughs at the abuse that leaves bruises on me. I have zero concern putting upper end +P/bubbas pissin' hot handloads through it. Most reports indicate that the majority of QC issues that popped up during the move to Remington factory have been remedied. If you can inspect the gun you're buying ahead of time I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Marlin.

Henry makes a great lever action as well, but I too prefer the side loading gate. There is nothing I like about the front tube loading on the Henrys.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    I have a newer Marlin 336xlr in 30-30. I love it. Marlin did go through some qc problems when Remington took over but they are mostly ironed out now from what I understand. Mine was a 2016 manufacture and is built well. There are some edges that could be deburred and the lever itself could be filed down on the edges, but it’s good value for the price point. I think the 2012-14 years were the suspect builds. They prob still are not of the quality from the older models but neither are most wheel guns. Hornaday leverevution ammo helps extend the range of the 30-30 out about 250yrds. The nice thing about Marlins is the ability to scope them, and strong action.

Before I bought the 336 I did handle a Miroku and was very impressed by it, but the cost was to high for my useage. It was built great and was more compact and dare I say elegant.
    Last edited by naplesE30; 04-08-2019, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Have a ~1969 Marlin 336 in 30-30, it is awesome!

I read reports that their QC was hit or miss during the Remington takeover, but it looks like they are pretty well sorted now. I'd love one of the new 357 models as a Cowboy Assault Rifle!

Leave a comment:

• R3Z3N
    replied
    Oh man, I love shooting my Win 94 30-30, even in 3 gun!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X