Clear All

Something like that
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

"cargo operation"

race car driver

learjet

pulled circuit breakers

colorado

.85 mach
      hmmm...

But your speed explanation was much better than "yes."

Comment

Seattle Times story...

As Boeing designed an automated safety system for the 737 MAX, the company built it to potentially activate based on the reading of a single sensor. That decision has baffled even those who worked on the plane inside a company...

Click image for larger version

Name:	03262019_Boeing_737_AOA_safety_1328152-1020x632.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	7201282

"...managers mandated that any differences from the previous 737 had to be small enough that they wouldn’t trigger the need for pilots to undergo new simulator training.

That left the team working on an old architecture and layers of different design philosophies that had piled on over the years, all to serve an international pilot community that was increasingly expecting automation.

“It’s become such a kludge, that we started to speculate and wonder whether it was safe to do the MAX,” Ludtke said."

Comment

Change of topic! DC-3s!!

Our very own DC-3, now dubbed Miss Montana, will be flying to England and France for the 75th D-Day anniversary. It isn't running yet. They're supposed to leave in a week for CT, then to the UK in early June.

The Miss Montana is a locally famous plane, usually called the Mann Gulch plane, acquired by our little flight museum some years ago as a static display. It dropped a crew of hotshot smokejumpers into a fire near Helena in 1949, in what is now the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness. The fire blew up suddenly and killed 12 people. Sad thing for the plane to be known for in my opinion - it had nothing to do with actions on the ground. The Norman Maclean novel "Young Men and Fire" is about this event.

So now she gets a new life as Miss Montana, dropping paratroopers over Normandy.

They acquired a second DC-3, an original Western Air Lines sleeper plane, as a training and practice plane. It spent WWII in Alaska. It's been lumbering around the valley all this week, after spending a few weeks in Oregon training crews there. People assumed that was our plane doing shake-down, but they're still working on electrical issues.

They've got wizard mechanics and a bunch of pilots here getting ready.

Name:	DC-3.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	7201539

Those cylinder heads are cool.

Name:	engine.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	7201540

Actor and pilot Treat Williams will be one of our pilots.

Name:	Treat Williams.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	7201541

Name:	pilots.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	7201542

Kathryn Burnham, a British pilot who has flown DC-3s half her life, is in town getting re-certified on the DC-3 in the US as she'll be flying General Hap Arnold's own DC-3 (C-47) transport out of San Francisco to the event.

Name:	Kathryn Burnham.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7201543

Our plane is scheduled to leave for the CT rendezvous May 13 - that's Monday! How many hours does a plane like this need to be certified? They're flying across an ocean!

“You look at them when they sit and you tell me that isn’t a smile,” she said. “That’s a happy old airplane.”
          Last edited by LateFan; 05-08-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

This says we're 1 of 30 C-47s going to Normandy.

Name:	DAKS.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	7201544

Comment

one of the pilots i fly with is apparently independently wealthy. he has his own personal dc3 that he is flying over there to be one of the 30.

his airplane is an absolute beauty. it was restored by Basler out of oshkosh, WI. i'm not sure but i think it is the same airplane they show on their web site. the one with the original radials(not the turboprop conversion)

honestly, of the 30 that are planning to take part in the flyover, we will be lucky if on that day there are 25 that are actually able to complete the mission. old airplanes like this break down a lot.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

might as well watch this video while we are on the subject

The Basler BT-67, without question the world's most experienced all-purpose aircraft, is engineered to meet competitive challenges for generations to come.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Read about that restoration effort in Missoula a few weeks ago in the paper.... absolutely awesome
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                    might as well watch this video while we are on the subject

https://www.baslerturbo.com
                    I’ve always loved DC-3s. One used to fly over in Seattle every evening at 5:30, Vancouver to Boeing Field with freight. You could see it slide and skid through the air on approach.

Those Basler planes are interesting - a total rework, not just engines. Do you know the reason for extending the cockpit forward? Is it balance / weight, or something aero?

I wonder if ours might be one that doesn’t make it, if they get it running the night before. Doesn’t it need a period of break-in time flying?

Comment

well, it says that they added several inches of cargo space behind the wing. in order to keep the weight an balance centered, i presume they would need to add something in front of the wing too.

hopefully they will fly the seattle airplane around a bit in the states and work out the bugs before they decide to take it over the atlantic. the actual flyover will likely be nothing more stressful to the aircraft than simply taking off and flying it around locally.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

She's in the air! She took off this afternoon for the first time since 2001. She flew around the valley a few times with a photo chase helicopter alongside. We heard the chopper first and ran out to see her fly right over us. Pretty sweet. VERY smooth engines, and hardly working at all. Buzzed the airport where a large crowd was watching.

The paper says "piloted by Jeff Whitesell, with co-pilot Frank Moss and chief mechanic Randy Schonemann."

Name:	5cd8cc4c622fd.image.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	7201598

Name:	5cd8cc4c87f0d.image.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	7201599

Here she is back in the day, dropping smoke jumpers...

Name:	51139361_420521862021525_8697042582525114131_n.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	7201600

Here are the 15 US-based DC-3s flying to Normandy -
                        After almost 18 months of planning, fundraising and training, the D-Day Squadron, the American contingent of Douglas C-47 and DC-3 transports participating in Daks over Normandy, is about to embark on their journey to Europe to celebrate the 75th anniversary of D-Day. On May 19th, the D-Day Squadron will depart Oxford-Waterbury airport in Connecticut and head East to cross the Atlantic along the original Blue Spruce route.  There will be a full week of activities to kick off this event, including a special Squadron flyover of the Statue of Liberty.

A bunch of these planes were actually at D-Day, which is really cool.

In here I see that General Hap Arnold's plane was the only C-41A designation built. It was a VIP transport for Command staff.

"...based at Bolling Army Airfield in Washington, D.C. as a part of the 1st Staff Squadron. The aircraft was well appointed, and the main cabin was equipped with swivel seating to allow for inflight meetings. The forward cabin was originally configured with four sleeping berths and upper skylights, similar to those found on the original DSTs (Douglas Sleeper Transports). The military disposed of the aircraft soon after the end of WWII, and before too long, she entered civilian life as an executive transport..."

Comment

i read through that story you posted. my buddy's airplane is #4.

if you click on the legend airways link in the story and scroll down toward the bottom of the page, you can see a photo of a very filthy brandon taking a selfie in the polised fuselage.
                          Last edited by flyboyx; 05-13-2019, 09:17 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah! That's a nice one.

I saw ours several times yesterday. It's cool how slow they can fly. Passed right over me, I counted the rivets. The engines are so smooth. Apparently there's a radial wizard in ID who rebuilt them. The props were redone in the Seattle area.

The story in the paper says this plane was ditched in a river in PA(?) way back when. Everyone survived that and climbed out on a wing, but the pilot and several others drowned trying to swim ashore in freezing water. It was recovered and rebuilt.

The Miss Montana logo / nose art comes from a local woman whose father had it on the nose of three different B-25s he flew in WWII campaigns. The girl was her mother.

Comment

Anyone know why the engines are so far forward of the wing on these? Since a radial isn't all that deep, I'm curious why it's mounted how it is. Maybe it's weight balance, or packaging for the wing spar and landing gear...?

Comment

CG. It's pretty common in general though, just look at any number of prewar airliners or even GA twins at your local airport

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X