No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a dragonfly. I had an instructor in college that flew those in the Battle Creek guard. Seems like they were retired in the mid 90’s.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      Looks like a dragonfly. I had an instructor in college that flew those in the Battle Creek guard. Seems like they were retired in the mid 90’s.
      Not a Dragonfly, but it is a BAC Jet Provost. I think there might be one racing at Reno in a couple weeks.

Hows this for a cool shot from Oshkosh. I'm pretty happy with that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69256964_10221058539759728_3006332242248073216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQn6bns_9A8dL6Wfs9w6c9dMAHHnokL54YP8IW2xuiv0kNjNtIiW0t0D727OcpjYjxM&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=b5b3f00c659c551bc1c4486011d360ea&oe=5E0CE625.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	9866086
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Will you have some really fantastic shots, ans this is no exception. You have really sharpened your photo skills in this arena and I always look forward to you sharing some of it
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

an interesting Max article in case any of you missed it.

sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

A few shots from Reno.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

an interesting Max article in case any of you missed it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/m...x-crashes.html
              Not much new information about the incident itself, but the statements on an abject lack of airmanship among LCC pilots from a developing nation seems like a no-brainer, considering what you see here in the first world.

I prefer Juan Brown's coverage, it is more nuanced and trustworthy than the NYT... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlocOX7tuU0
              Last edited by varg; 09-27-2019, 05:54 PM.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

yes, i watch blancolirio's vids occasionally. sometimes he makes interesting points, but for the most part, i see him as one of those guys that just needs to put his 2 cents in about every single airline mishap in the history of mishaps. being on the inside, i can say for a fact that his speculations are often completely wrong. i do agree that the author of the nyt article i posted above probably doesn't have a type in a 73, but i think his points are more accurate than not.

I don't have a 73 type either, but i sit in the cockpit of them perhaps 2 or 3 times a month. fuck man!!! if the airplane keeps pointing downward, why the hell would you not at least try turning off the trim cutouts? they are right fucking there on the console below the thrust levers. yes, in both situations, they had a lot of shit going on in the cockpit. but a boeing has these great big(huge)(massive) gargantuan) manual trim wheels on each side of the console with great big huge white stripes on them. they are located right next to the captain's and first officer's knee. they are REALLY easy to notice(as in impossible not to) when they rotate. if you are trying to go straight and level or up, yet those big ass wheels keep rotating down??? even sonny should notice that.

also, i am not saying that boeing didnt fuck up. they did....big time. how the hell do you put a system as important as this on an airplane, yet not tell anyone about it?

i believe the nyt author is absolutely correct that airmanship and thinking outside the box a little could have saved the ship in both situations. those pilots didn't know that at the time, but they also come from cultures were thinking outside the box is "frowned upon in this establishment". honestly, this is one of the biggest reasons why asian countries generally have abysmal safety records. look at some the korean air accidents over the last 25 years or so.....just downright stupidity.

in the case of the ethiopian flight, wouldn't you suppose being Boeing MAX pilots, they would have taken notice of what happened with LION air? as i said, i don't even fly that airplane, but not 3 days after the first accident, i recall my contemporaries talking about the trim cutout switches. how the fuck did these jokers not file that in the back of their minds when they climbed into the cockpit every day?

sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

At least seven people were killed and seven were injured when a World War II-era bomber crashed shortly after taking off from Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks Wednesday morning in one…

Scary

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

ah man. so sad.

cant wait to hear what blancolirio has to say. lol
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

So far just addressing some of the comment hysteria about the regulations the flight was operating under. A side note, not sure what your beef with someone else giving their 2 cents is when you do it all the time on here

The guy isn't speaking gospel he's just a good place to get coverage of these events compared to the completely clueless and often dishonest media coverage

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

"Single point of failure" is the news phrase of the day.

Comment

i was perusing the october issue of warbirds and lookie what i found.

congratulations Will.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

i was perusing the october issue of warbirds and lookie what i found.

congratulations Will.
                            Sweet, I'll have to bug my friend who works for the EAA to get me a copy. That said, the P40 shot isn't mine. Not sure who took it, but I don't remember shooting that. (Maybe I did and I just don't remember doing so.) The Shot with the Skyraider was taken at the start of the Saturday night airshow at Oshkosh this year. The one with the Bearcat and Corsair happened about 3 hrs later.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Since the north bay area was on fire, I figured I should go air tanker hunting. I scored up in Middletown. I didn't see the GST 747 make any drops (kept getting up there as it made its last drop and was going home for the day.) but I did catch the DC10s doing their thing, and one of Neptune Aviation's BAE 146s making a drop front and center. I also caught the former Aero Union P3 Orion T23 on the fire, but didn't see a drop (was always 5 minutes too late, two days in a row.)

The new Coulson C130 had the last drop of the afternoon on tuesday, unfortunately it was on the other side of the mountain.

Wednesday I had been watching Flight Radar 24 for most of the day while at work, the action was still in Middletown, so what the heck, I'll make another run up there.
                              Once again I missed T23 making a drop, he was headed home for the day.

The original plan was to shoot from the spot where I was on Tuesday, but once I was there, I could see they were dropping further up the canyon, and there was no one saying I couldn't head up the dirt road... About 2 miles up the road started to climb up the side of the canyon, and I found the spot to be.
                              OV10 Lead 505 had Neptune Aviation's T41 in tow, and they were lining up to drop in the canyon...

The drop by T41 was the last drop by a tanker of the afternoon. The Skycranes however were working late.

I should have taken Wednesday off work and just camped out up there.

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

That's really something, getting to see that DC-10 in action, you don't even get to see many trijets flying these days let alone doing something interesting like that.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X