Rip amg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip amg

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/mercedes-amg-has-finally-axed-the-c63s-v8-for-a-four-pot-hybrid/?fbclid=IwAR1GwhyVVKyn_-qakbfHk7GqPHQ1N2ZzgEFk9Rm-3DHAeVsfIMP3kSn3Cgo

The Mercedes-AMG C63 will exchange its glorious 4.0-litre V8 for a turbocharged and hybridised 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol-electric setup when the next all-new version arrives, in what has to be the most dramatic drivetrain switcheroo we’ve yet seen from any of the major manufacturers.

A report in Autocar says the new, variable four-wheel drive machine is already in testing at AMG’s headquarters and will be good for over 500bhp. AMG will just have to hope that its future customers are more interested in electric drive capability than the noise and character that continues to define the brand’s very identity.

Advantages cited by the brand apparently include lighter weight than the V8 – although not by much, once the hybrid systems are added – and a lower centre of gravity for better overall handling. The real reason for the swap is lower emissions, of course. Mercedes is battling hard to reduce its fleet CO2 output before the EU imposes fines for non-compliance with incoming 2021 rules requiring an average of 95g/km.

This new C63 will use the same M139 four-pot that is in transverse service in the A45, but mounted longitudinally and with a significant amount of hybrid boosting. The engine alone develops 416bhp in the latest A-Class performance flagship, along with 369lb ft of torque. Versions of the electrified update will see service not just in the C63 and presumably a C63 S, but also in the ‘43’ sub-ranges thanks to a planned de-tune.

The hybrid setup will be based around a 48-volt integrated alternator-starter motor similar to the one used by the straight-six ‘53’ models, we understand. Mounted on the gearbox, it currently pumps 22bhp but 184bhp straight into the drive line. AMG is said to be cranking the power figure in particular right up for the future C63.

Power will travel through the familiar nine-speed torque converter already available. It is expected to use only a small hybrid battery and won’t have any exceptional electric-only driving capability, but it will use a potentially F1-derived advanced energy-recovery system that harvests otherwise wasted power from each wheel.

Arrival of the all-new and very different C63 is slated for 2022, so if you want a brand new one with a sledgehammer twin-turbo V8, now is the time to start saving – hard.

For starters, get off my lawn with this shid.

Sad to see AMG axe their V8s in the C chassis.

I blame Greta Thunberg
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

What the fack! Another POS hybrid.

Comment

I mean, if you are getting the same performance, but using less fuel, I fail to see that as a bad thing. I guess you don't get the noise from the V8. :shrug:

Comment

AMGs are supposed to be loud and brutish when you get on it. An electrically assisted 4 pot turbo probably won't sound the business no matter how fast.

With enough cam and valve lift alteration a V8 can be both badass and get good MPGs, but that's expensive, and no one seems to care.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          AMGs are supposed to be loud and brutish when you get on it. An electrically assisted 4 pot turbo probably won't sound the business no matter how fast.

With enough cam and valve lift alteration a V8 can be both badass and get good MPGs, but that's expensive, and no one seems to care.
          QFT

AMG is about the disgusting sound that comes out the back.

Even the current C43 AMG is quite dull in comparison to the NA V8 that came before it.

A hybrid 4 pot AMG sounds as exciting as going to the dentist.

What's next? The return of the 4 banger M3??? Maybe a 4 banger M3 SUV hybrid?
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Hahaha that’s awful. It doesn’t matter if it’s faster, AMG is not Porsche and a C63 is not a sports car.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

What's next? The return of the 4 banger M3??? Maybe a 4 banger M3 SUV hybrid?
              We all love the S14, but I’m sure we all wish it were a 6 cylinder of some sort...

A great tangent if videos took me to the AMG The Hammer, Wagon, a good reminder of the past.

I gag when I hear 4 cyl caymans go by, a reminder the future is now.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

It might be because I lost a little bit of hearing from loud noise exposure, but I really don't care how a car sounds anymore, not that I ever really judged a car on that to begin with. It's such a subjective thing, yet so often engine sound is this major thing that's criticized in car journalism. Some engines just make a certain sound - so fucking what? And I've always HATED loud exhaust. I don't even like going to autox events anymore because it really hurts my ears now :(

The way I see it, if there are improvements in power, efficiency, and reliability then I'm all for it.
                My Feedback

Comment

Y’all know your on the singer sewing machine forum right? Lol

Loud gnarly exhaust is great but AMG is about power and performance. Noises have historically been a byproduct of power, not a component.

Plus they’re knocking down the lowest tier, not the whole range. They are buying the ability to keep the big boys drinking heavy.

C classes suck anyway. As a Benz tech who is familiar with many of the AMGs I say that from experience not interwebs authority..
                  "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
                  Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

Not that I'd be a buyer either way, but that sucks. V8 Merc's make great noises, turbo 4s do not.
                    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I remember a year or two ago C63 owners suing Mercedes because they changed the exhaust slightly in a mid-cycle update and it didn't sound as good as it used to.

I don't see people that buy these cars being happy about the change.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                        I remember a year or two ago C63 owners suing Mercedes because they changed the exhaust slightly in a mid-cycle update and it didn't sound as good as it used to.

I don't see people that buy these cars being happy about the change.
                        All I can find is that almost 10 years ago they were suing because of premature engine failure.

Mercedes-Benz is reportedly facing a class-action lawsuit in the U.S. District Court of New Jersey for alleged defects in the company's M156 V8. According to the plaintiffs, premature internal wear occurs because the engine uses cast nodular iron camshafts and 9310-grade steel valves. Something about that combination causes early failure, either due to improper offset of the components or inadequate heat treating. The plaintiffs also allege th
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
                        X