Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
    The Challenger comes with a manual.

Though, it would be nice to have a smaller version of it like the Toyota Levin.
    Good thing the Challenger isn't an old POS.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Yeah, you are here...
      lol
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

lol
        Petition to retitle 'burgs to "lol."

Comment

p & r hater checking in

this is a good idea

we are a forum of enthusiasts who like vintage cars

nobody is coming to tow my M3, and we're all still going to be able to turn wrenches in our garages/driveways

but everyone out there who buys a vehicle thinking of it as nothing more than transportation? the people buying camrys, accords, suburbans? yeah, shove them over to an EV. they don't care, they just want A to B

beyond that, this doesn't even entirely ban gas-powered cars because plug-in hybrids count as "zero emissions vehicles" under CARB law. anyone who thinks the oil lobby would have let a state with such high demand go completely electric is, to put it politely, silly
          Last edited by decay; 09-25-2020, 04:32 PM.
          past:
          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:
          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            I want to know where all the electricity to charge all these new electric cars is going to come from.
            The power will come from solar panels on the roof of the car owners house. Depending on the miles you drive/ brand of appliance it can be calculated and the feds will pay 26% of your fuel bill via the ITC. Let that sink in for a moment.
            Then consider the free 21 years of warranteed fuel once the system has paid for itself in 4 or less years. The home power supply will outlast the appliance.

2mAn you need a surfboard in that car!

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

Or better yet just move out of Cali, which is one the worst states to own a gas powered car. I have no idea how ICE car enthusiasts in Cali tolerate all the crazy emissions regulations they have, let alone the cost of owning a car there
              Lol

Crazy emissions regulations. Yes, keeping a functioning catalytic converter and O2 sensor on a vehicle is some major communist oppression. Granted, the visual inspection part of SMOG testing is BS, but it is easy to get around most of the time aa long as you blow clean in the sniffer test.

I kind of love the impressions people outside of CA have about living here. It's the equivalent of the libtards here who think everyone in the midwest beats off to pictures of guns after reading the Bible. CA is too friggin crowded as it is though, so whatever keeps more people from moving here is fine with me. The crowding is actually the single worst thing when it comes to being a car enthusiast here IMO.

Ultimately, most people in most places are cool, despite whatever quirks are endemic to the location. Life in "other places" is rarely as intolerable as people outside those places think.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Meanwhile here in Michigan there's no emission or other inspection regulations, no front plate either. I like it here.

That executive order won't last, it's not a realistic goal to meet. I'll agree with whoever said it's more likely gas powered cars will either be taxed heavily, or pay massive tolls to drive in certain regions. Kind of like what London did to ease congestion. Plus what's to stop somebody from going out of state to buy the car they want and bringing it back?
                My Feedback

Comment

If London has anti-congestion measures in place, I cannot imagine how terrible it must have been BEFORE that. The Underground has been faster than cabs/Uber every time for me in the last few years.

I am actually glad that there are SMOG regulations in my area. The SF Bay Area has almost 8 million people in it. The air quality gets bad enough even WITH the heavy-handed SMOG rules!

Comment

NJ got rid of smog testing for pre-OBDII cars, which is extra icing on the cake for owning an E30 here However we do have the stupid front plate requirement as well as a dumb law that doesn’t let you pump your own gas.

As for the ban not lasting, IDK about that. Over the next decade I see California further and further emulating the EU countries when it comes to environmental policies. And Trump is only guaranteed to be in office for another couple of months. If Biden wins next term then you’re probably not going to see the Fed put up a hard fight against Cali’s ban.
                    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      Crazy emissions regulations. Yes, keeping a functioning catalytic converter and O2 sensor on a vehicle is some major communist oppression. Granted, the visual inspection part of SMOG testing is BS, but it is easy to get around most of the time aa long as you blow clean in the sniffer test.

Having a cat is fine
                      Having CARB dictate your pollutants seems like a pain in the ass (See: all the threads about people not passing)
                      Having to have CARB stamped exhaust parts sounds like a large pain
                      Not being able to swap your car without matching an OE configuration with an unmodified exhaust from that application seems fucking insane.

First three points are no different than most other places though. The last one is the only one that is "big dumb"

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                      The Challenger comes with a manual.
                      Ok great, I can have a shitty land yacht that is manual, I'm truly blessed.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                        p & r hater checking in

this is a good idea

we are a forum of enthusiasts who like vintage cars

nobody is coming to tow my M3, and we're all still going to be able to turn wrenches in our garages/driveways

but everyone out there who buys a vehicle thinking of it as nothing more than transportation? the people buying camrys, accords, suburbans? yeah, shove them over to an EV. they don't care, they just want A to B
                        100% agree. Hell, I'd have a small electric shitbox to commute in.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                          Having CARB dictate your pollutants seems like a pain in the ass (See: all the threads about people not passing)
                          Having to have CARB stamped exhaust parts sounds like a large pain
                          Not being able to swap your car without matching an OE configuration with an unmodified exhaust from that application seems fucking insane.
                          It has been my experience that like 90% of the people who fail SMOG have either a malfunctioning O2 sensor, or a dead 25+ year old cat, or both. They end up spending as much on snake-oil gas additives and re-tests as they would on a universal weld-in CA-legal cat.

CARB stamped exhaust...I am not sure what the letter of the law is, but the only thing any SMOG shop owner has ever looked for is the serial number on the cat if it is aftermarket. It may be that the law says that nothing else can be modified without approval, but I have not run into actual enforcement of that.

Yes, it does sound like doing swaps is a hassle more often than not. It's all part of the BS I see around the visual inspection aspect...the only thing that SHOULD matter is what the emissions sniffer test says. Obviously a lot of guys on here have had bad experiences. I also know some guys who had few issues, and a couple who did a good clean swap without all of the "required" stuff, but talked through it with the ref's, blew clean and got the sticker. Ultimately, I guess it depends on whether you know of a test station that cares at all about the visual inspection. A surprising number of shops don't.

To me, the REAL BS here is the fact that not all cars need to do the sniffer test. All or nothing IMO. Hell, I don't even mind the SMOG dyno part since anyone will pass that with half-functioning emissions equipment. But the fact that CA gets all crazy about putting older cars on the rollers for the sniffer test, but only runs an OBD-II fault scan on newer cars is massive horseshit to me. Maybe modern OBD-II is that good, but it seems to me that if the state was as serious about air quality as it says it is, they would make everyone pass the sniffer test.

Cars as old as the E30 should really be exempt though, since they make up such a tiny fraction of the vehicles on the road.

Comment

The sad reality for enthusiasts is that most measures seem designed to remove all older cars from the roads no matter their condition, or use case. In a world where the EO in question stands or is codified I'd expect further measures targeting ownership of older cars, and possibly further limitations on modification. Pollution/safety aside, newer cars and rapid replacement generate more revenue for most jurisdictions nationally as higher transaction prices equal more revenue. Making it perfectly rational for most municipalities to make it more difficult to own older cars, causing more owners to abandon them in favor of newer models.

If governments cared there would be a universal usage/impact tax based on road miles and tested, not claimed, emissions per mile.

Comment

Also, the only real reason we dont have the rolling 25 year exemption is because of a former Governor and he was.... Republican. Damn, I said the R-word, if only a mod could move this over to the P&R Sub- Forum then we could really have some fun
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Also, the only real reason we dont have the rolling 25 year exemption is because of a former Governor and he was.... Republican. Damn, I said the R-word, if only a mod could move this over to the P&R Sub- Forum then we could really have some fun
                                do it
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                                X