All gas-powered сars are banned in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    California struggles to keep the power on in summer, let alone charge what could be millions of new EVs on the road...

LOOOOOOOOOOOL
    What did you come back to edit 7 minutes later? Not enough OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in your LOL?

Comment

Fixed

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post

The carbon footprint during manufacturing doesn’t count, you know that.

Maybe if folks had their own coal fired power plant chugging away in their backyard as their “non emission” vehicle was charging they would see it differently. That 50amp outlet in your house doesn’t eat for free !

Here in Kentucky, most the electricity comes from coal power plants. So in reality my "EV" Would be coal powered.

I personally don't want to really hate .. and want to see nothing wrong with EV, Just don't slam it down my throat.

And its sad to see F1 teams now changing gears and going into Formula E

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

Here in Kentucky, most the electricity comes from coal power plants. So in reality my "EV" Would be coal powered.

I personally don't want to really hate .. and want to see nothing wrong with EV, Just don't slam it down my throat.

And its sad to see F1 teams now changing gears and going into Formula E

Agree 100%

I think here in Georgia we are around 25% coal.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            Just don't slam it down my throat.
            Not what you're in to, eh?

Comment

Let's just go ahead and move this into P&R since the OP's intent is clear.

To answer the specific question, yes, this is the democratic and progressive thing to do. There is no difference between this and the EPA fleet emissions targets we've advanced for a long time.

cars beep boop

Comment

The arguments against are super old & backwards here.

California is like the 5th largest economy in the world and can lead. It joins 15+ countries who already made the same exact pledge-- including Germany, who made your beloved BMW. Is Germany doing it wrong, too?

As for polluting trade-offs, 50% of all the electricity produced in CA is already non-carbon. By 2035 it'll be decently more.

15 years in the future, if you live in CA and really want to buy a gas car, go buy a 2034 model. Or buy a car in another state. Or save some money and buy a used car like most of us would probably do anyway. Big deal.
                1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
                  And yes electric motors are soulless compared to an M20 or M42, but that doesn't change the fact that they are virtually maintenance free and significantly more reliable due to the lack of moving parts. The people that are into E30s today will not be the same type of people that will be into them in a decade or two. By then E30s will go in the same direction as many other classic cars have, in that people will buy them to be seen in them (and yes they will have non-vanity reasons as to why they picked an E30 but there's a reason the term "headturner" exists in the classic car world). Many of those buyers do not want to put up with all of the headaches of an ICE (esp a 30+ year old one) like doing fluid changes, worrying about whether it will start up or overheat, dealing with leaking hoses and gaskets, etc. They just want a nice-looking classic car that will be able to get some attention and compliments from other people that can also be reliable as daily transportation (provided the buyers aren't overly worried about safety). It's alright if you think electric cars aren't the replacement for gas/diesel ones, but you're in a minority compared to the average Toyota-owning Joe who hates having to remember doing so much as an oil change just to keep his engine working correctly.
                  I think you've got it backwards - the people who will buy E30s in the future will be buying them precisely BECAUSE they are old, mechanical, and relatively devoid of complicated electronics. People will buy them for the same reason that people now buy old hot rods from the 30s, and other vehicles from the period of the 30s to about 1970, when vehicles were very mechanically simple, and generally carbureted. People are drawn to them because they are mechanical wonders, not because of how reliable they are, or how many moving parts they have, and often times, they even enjoy working on them, which renders the point of them needing maintenance, or other "headaches", moot. And the reasons people buy such cars goes well beyond just being seen in them - it is their simple nature, their driving characteristics, their sound, their smells, the interactions between man and machine, and so on. All of that is gone with electric cars. They're completely sterilized, and as soon as they are replaced, they will be largely forgotten, because there is no reason for people to love them - the same cannot be said for our E30s, as well as other classics like the 911, vintage Ferraris, or whatever your preferred classic vehicle is. Practicality is generally a minor consideration in buying a classic car, if at all. People who want something reliable with few moving parts will simply buy a new car that meets the description.
                  Last edited by rturbo 930; 09-24-2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post
                    15 years in the future, if you live in CA and really want to buy a gas car, go buy a 2034 model. Or buy a car in another state. Or save some money and buy a used car like most of us would probably do anyway. Big deal.
                    Or better yet just move out of Cali, which is one the worst states to own a gas powered car. I have no idea how ICE car enthusiasts in Cali tolerate all the crazy emissions regulations they have, let alone the cost of owning a car there
                    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

People are acting like all new cars aren't already shite. There's nothing to lose.

Hardly anything made with a manual nowadays anyway, so if I bought something new, it's going to just be a people carrier and idgaf if it's powered by the tears of infants because the soul was already lost.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

Or better yet just move out of Cali, which is one the worst states to own a gas powered car. I have no idea how ICE car enthusiasts in Cali tolerate all the crazy emissions regulations they have, let alone the cost of owning a car there
                        Huh, I can’t hear you over the wind in my hair and ocean breeze...

]
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

the p and r crowd is coming out for this one lol
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Agreed. R3v OT hasn't seen this much action in years. I thought a bot posted this and was getting y'all to reply to it by asking how your mothers were doing Marky Mark style or something.

I'm one of the few posting things in this space, basically about future vehicles. I like electric vehicles, and would like to add one as a daily commuter.
                            Electric cars make sense for something over 50% of American's commutes which is like ~35 miles a day. I don't remember the exact figures. Forcing electric only on the road is wrong, but all manufacturers are slowly moving to that. Having a fun vehicle that is gas that is enjoyed would still be the way to go I think in the near future. Currently looking at something like an egolf for a cheap daily, keep miles of the Land Cruiser that drinks like a drunkard. I'm pretty sure I'll be saving money by having a small car payment, paying insurance on it, and plugging it in at home then continuing to drive the Cruiser every day. That says a lot. Then if I had the money, swapping that setup in the reverse in a few years. Rivian is the electric daily, off road, and traveling vehicle. Picking up something gas and fun to shift gears with.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            People are acting like all new cars aren't already shite. There's nothing to lose.

Hardly anything made with a manual nowadays anyway, so if I bought something new, it's going to just be a people carrier and idgaf if it's powered by the tears of infants because the soul was already lost.

Real talk. This. It's game over man, game over.

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                            I think you've got it backwards - the people who will buy E30s in the future will be buying them precisely BECAUSE they are old, mechanical, and relatively devoid of complicated electronics. People will buy them for the same reason that people now buy old hot rods from the 30s, and other vehicles from the period of the 30s to about 1970, when vehicles were very mechanically simple, and generally carbureted. People are drawn to them because they are mechanical wonders, not because of how reliable they are, or how many moving parts they have, and often times, they even enjoy working on them, which renders the point of them needing maintenance, or other "headaches", moot. And the reasons people buy such cars goes well beyond just being seen in them - it is their simple nature, their driving characteristics, their sound, their smells, the interactions between man and machine, and so on. All of that is gone with electric cars. They're completely sterilized, and as soon as they are replaced, they will be largely forgotten, because there is no reason for people to love them - the same cannot be said for our E30s, as well as other classics like the 911, vintage Ferraris, or whatever your preferred classic vehicle is. Practicality is generally a minor consideration in buying a classic car, if at all. People who want something reliable with few moving parts will simply buy a new car that meets the description.

Also this. The future is electric, and eventually it'll be like what we've seen in sci-fi movies, like iRobot. The cars will be appliances to get to and from places, rarely will they be put into manual mode. Those that want the experience will seek out the older vehicles.
                            Last edited by DEV0 E30; 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM.
                            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Yeah, you are here...

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

Hardly anything made with a manual nowadays anyway
                                The Challenger comes with a manual.

Though, it would be nice to have a smaller version of it like the Toyota Levin.

Comment

Working...
                                X