No announcement yet.

Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right, because when you call me a brutal genocidal maniac you're attempting to engage in polite conversation.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
      Brutally messed up is a gigantic stretch there...you're making something out of nothing. Parasitism is about the movements of organisms and their use of the environment. Decay was making an analogy.

There's actually a pretty famous historian who did the same thing and wrote a book about it-William McNeill, Who wrote the book Plagues and Peoples, which talks about two concepts that affect the global world, Microparasitism (movement of micro organisms that cause disease, like plague, flu, malaria) and Macroparasitism (the movement of peoples into and out of regions of the world). His argument is that there are times in the past when people drove the movement of disease across the world and then there are times when the opposite is true, disease drove the movement of people. Either way, he drew the conclusion that the rise of fall of a micro organism, from epidemic to endemic was very similar to the rise of global populations of people and factors such as resource availability, physical space constraints, and medicine acted on a population of people.

Plagues and Peoples was seen as a tremendous work of history and won many awards when it was published in 1976. William McNeill definitely wasn't seen as being brutally messed up for positing this parasitic connection between micro organisms and humans.
      Its interesting you try to conflate a clinical assessment of the human race with a nihilistic representation of the human race.

It doesn't seem William McNeill believes we are a parasite that deserves to be controlled or eradicated from the planet. But it does seem that you think that Decay was essentially implying the same thing as William McNeill did and your assessment is intellectual slight of hand.

It takes one, infinitesimally small step to arrive at this: http://research.calvin.edu/german-pr...eltparasit.htm
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
        right, because when you call me a brutal genocidal maniac you're attempting to engage in polite conversation.

No, I am attempting to get you to question yourself. If people call you that because your language is dangerously close to finding you there...you might want to look in what heart you have left.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
          No, I am attempting to get you to question yourself. If people call you that because your language is dangerously close to finding you there...you might want to look in what heart you have left.
          "people" aren't calling me that. it's just you.
          past:
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:

Comment

"people" aren't calling me that. it's just you.

By all means, continue to disregard my comments then. All I know is that just because I am the only one who spoke up about nihilistic comments emanating from your keyboard, it doesn't mean others aren't thinking it.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

yay, you've graduated logical fallacies to appeal to popularity!
              past:
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:

Comment

yay, you've graduated logical fallacies to appeal to popularity!

Logical fallacies? Donde?

And why is it you usually appeal to Psych 101 to discourage discourse?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

i'm not discouraging discourse, i'm keeping you honest. if you want to argue, do it like an adult.
                  past:
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:

Comment

The bickering continues... :p

We are getting off topic in the off topic lounge lol.

Global warming has raised global sea level about 8" since 1880, and the rate of rise is accelerating. Rising seas dramatically increase the odds of damaging floods from storm surges.

...and for those that refuse to click links...

Florida is in the crosshairs of climate change. Rising seas, a population crowded along the coast, porous bedrock, and the relatively common occurrence of tropical storms put more real estate and people at risk from storm surges aggravated by sea level rise in Florida, than any other state by far.

Some 2.4 million people and 1.3 million homes, nearly half the risk nationwide, sit within 4 feet of the local high tide line. Sea level rise is more than doubling the risk of a storm surge at this level in South Florida by 2030. For the hundreds of thousands of Floridians holding 30-year mortgages, that date is not far off in the future.

The world’s oceans are already rising, thanks to global warming. Global average sea level has gone up about 8 inches since 1880. In South Florida, taxpayers are already paying the price for climate change as salt water pushes through porous bedrock into coastal drinking-water supplies, and rivers and canals choked by heavy rains have a harder time draining into the ocean. A recent Florida Atlantic University study estimated that just 6 more inches of sea level rise — very plausible within two decades — would cripple about half of South Florida’s flood control capacity.

It’s now, not later, for sea level rise in South Florida.

That’s a big reason why Climate Central has worked for two years on a new analysis of this threat, blending storm surge, tides and more into the picture. Integrating storms and tides show that a small amount of sea level rise can make a big difference — multiplying the odds of extreme coastal floods around the United States, not just South Florida. Think of it like raising the floor at a Miami Heat game: you’d see a lot more dunks. Overall, sea level rise is making the odds of a South Florida flood reaching more than 4 feet above high tide, by 2050, on par with the odds of losing at Russian roulette.

More than half the population of more than 100 Florida towns and cities lives on land below that 4-foot line. Miami-Dade and Broward counties each have more people below 4 feet than any state, except Florida itself and Louisiana.

Just how vulnerable any area is depends on many elements. Our analysis factored in not only local sea level rise projections, storm-surge patterns and tides, but also local topography and patterns of development. In an attempt to better inform people, businesses and planners who live and work near the coast, we have mapped and evaluated risk in 3,000 towns, cities and counties across the lower 48 states, including South Florida, and have created a free, ZIP code-searchable map with neighborhood views and risk information at SurgingSeas.org. Among our key national findings:

Global warming has already doubled or tripled the odds of extreme high water events over widespread areas of the U.S. coast.
                    Widespread areas are likely to see storm surges on top of sea level rise reaching at least 4 feet above high tide by 2030, and 5 feet by 2050.
                    Nearly 5 million U.S. residents currently live on land less than 4 feet above high tide, and more than 6 million on land less than 5 feet above.

Sea level rise is already increasing flood threats everywhere. It’s set to become an even greater problem much sooner than most people expect. Swift cuts in greenhouse gas pollution can significantly reduce sea level increases, but past and present pollution already commit us to a good deal more rise.

It’s time we start preparing for higher seas and storms, if we want to avoid their worst effects. In South Florida, where the porous limestone makes building effective sea walls or levees almost impossible, the task is especially urgent.
                    I grew up in Tampa bay and the barrier islands around Bradenton/Sarasota area were constantly being dredged and dumped on the beach to help keep the sea water out of homes, and me being in the construction industry at the time, we were actually raising beach-front homes in the late 90's early 00's. No joke, made a good living jacking homes up and building new foundations under them. Now the water is rising at a much more accelerated rate and construction can't even keep up anymore. Fortunately I live ~12 miles inland with a 14' elevation, the shop is about 3 miles from the beach, but at 16'. Miami beach is ~6' average.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      The bickering continues... :p

We are getting off topic in the off topic lounge lol.

Global warming has raised global sea level about 8" since 1880, and the rate of rise is accelerating. Rising seas dramatically increase the odds of damaging floods from storm surges.

...and for those that refuse to click links...

I grew up in Tampa bay and the barrier islands around Bradenton/Sarasota area were constantly being dredged and dumped on the beach to help keep the sea water out of homes, and me being in the construction industry at the time, we were actually raising beach-front homes in the late 90's early 00's. No joke, made a good living jacking homes up and building new foundations under them. Now the water is rising at a much more accelerated rate and construction can't even keep up anymore. Fortunately I live ~12 miles inland with a 14' elevation, the shop is about 3 miles from the beach, but at 16'. Miami beach is ~6' average.

Hopefully you have flood insurance. I don't really understand what you expect the world to do with your decision to live within a 14' over sea level area. :loco:

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

i'm not discouraging discourse, i'm keeping you honest. if you want to argue, do it like an adult.

That's a pretty dishonest thing to say. :D

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Its interesting you try to conflate a clinical assessment of the human race with a nihilistic representation of the human race.

It doesn't seem William McNeill believes we are a parasite that deserves to be controlled or eradicated from the planet. But it does seem that you think that Decay was essentially implying the same thing as William McNeill did and your assessment is intellectual slight of hand.

It takes one, infinitesimally small step to arrive at this: http://research.calvin.edu/german-pr...eltparasit.htm
                          There is actually a portion of what he writes in the book that talks about how one population of people controls other populations of people, similar to how a disease can gain control of another organism. I'm not talking about the eradication of people, all I'm saying is that there is an analogy that can be made between micro and macro models that can't be denied. Expressing that analogy doesn't make you a maniac.

If Decay chooses to not have kids, that's his freedom. That doesn't mean he wants to select how others express their own freedom to choose to have children or not. You moved straight to Hitler, which isn't what Decay was talking about.

Comment

Hopefully you have flood insurance. I don't really understand what you expect the world to do with your decision to live within a 14' over sea level area. :loco:

Not staying here much longer, but move to FL in 1989, before this was an issue (or rather, a KNOWN issue). I stay here now because unlike the non-spawning humans Sleeve was talking about, I am raising 4 kids and they go to some of the best schools in the country so that (unlike most kids these days) can be a productive members of society.

Once my youngest graduates high school in 7yr, we are out of here for sure! Not easy to just pick up your family of 6 and move, the wife is a 4th generation Floridian.

I will be damned if my kids live with me until 25. My oldest is 20 and already going to Spain for an internship abroad, 2.5 years in at FSU with a 4.0 GPA, has a bachelor in 2 majors, a minor, completely self-funded through scholarships, and has ZERO debt. The three others aren't far behind, they all work hard, play hard and say "yessir", "no ma'am". We don't take kindly to whiners, and wonder what is wrong with most parents these days.

Besides, if you look at elevations and flooding, you have to be under 6' ASL to be overly concerned. The reason we live so far inland, and chose property wisely.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

That's a pretty dishonest thing to say. :D
                              i'll give that comment all of the gravitas it deserves.
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                                There is actually a portion of what he writes in the book that talks about how one population of people controls other populations of people, similar to how a disease can gain control of another organism. I'm not talking about the eradication of people, all I'm saying is that there is an analogy that can be made between micro and macro models that can't be denied. Expressing that analogy doesn't make you a maniac.

If Decay chooses to not have kids, that's his freedom. That doesn't mean he wants to select how others express their own freedom to choose to have children or not. You moved straight to Hitler, which isn't what Decay was talking about.
                                That is only an interesting way to look at how people interact with other people and their environment; kind of like a similie. Its a leap to say that the human race is parasitic in the traditional definition.

Why are you defending Decay anyway? He is the one who posted the traditional definition of a parasite and then said "we kind of fit the description though." Parasites are not looked upon kindly as a general rule and that is exactly what Decay meant. Not this odd comparison as defined by a book he likely never heard of.

Deciding not to have children because you view the human race as a parasite is NOT rational. First, the human race is not a parasite unless you have a twisted world view. Second, your decision not to have kids does not do anything, practically speaking, to stop the human race from expanding. Its illogical on two huge fonts.

I am not saying to breed for the sake of breeding, I am just saying that not having kids because "humans are parasites and I don't want to contribute to the problem" is just like retweeting your dislike for Donald Trump; it does nothing and is only virtue signaling.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X