Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Not staying here much longer, but move to FL in 1989, before this was an issue (or rather, a KNOWN issue). I stay here now because unlike the non-spawning humans Sleeve was talking about, I am raising 4 kids and they go to some of the best schools in the country so that (unlike most kids these days) can be a productive members of society.

Once my youngest graduates high school in 7yr, we are out of here for sure! Not easy to just pick up your family of 6 and move, the wife is a 4th generation Floridian.

I will be damned if my kids live with me until 25. My oldest is 20 and already going to Spain for an internship abroad, 2.5 years in at FSU with a 4.0 GPA, has a bachelor in 2 majors, a minor, completely self-funded through scholarships, and has ZERO debt. The three others aren't far behind, they all work hard, play hard and say "yessir", "no ma'am". We don't take kindly to whiners, and wonder what is wrong with most parents these days.

Besides, if you look at elevations and flooding, you have to be under 6' ASL to be overly concerned. The reason we live so far inland, and chose property wisely.
    Good for you and congratulations!

My three are similar. 24, 30, 32.

Youngest is in Moscow defending her Thesis. (Graduated from ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism) & going to the World Cup.

Middle, Graduated Law school at 22, is graduating from Cal State Berkley in July with masters in international law and eldest is the Executive Chef at Espranza in Cabo. (It was in Heartbreak Kid)

Nope, not proud.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
      First, the human race is not a parasite unless you have a twisted world view.
      what exactly is twisted about it? you're gonna have to provide a supporting argument here (for once).
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Not staying here much longer, but move to FL in 1989, before this was an issue (or rather, a KNOWN issue). I stay here now because unlike the non-spawning humans Sleeve was talking about, I am raising 4 kids and they go to some of the best schools in the country so that (unlike most kids these days) can be a productive members of society.

Once my youngest graduates high school in 7yr, we are out of here for sure! Not easy to just pick up your family of 6 and move, the wife is a 4th generation Floridian.

I will be damned if my kids live with me until 25. My oldest is 20 and already going to Spain for an internship abroad, 2.5 years in at FSU with a 4.0 GPA, has a bachelor in 2 majors, a minor, completely self-funded through scholarships, and has ZERO debt. The three others aren't far behind, they all work hard, play hard and say "yessir", "no ma'am". We don't take kindly to whiners, and wonder what is wrong with most parents these days.

Besides, if you look at elevations and flooding, you have to be under 6' ASL to be overly concerned. The reason we live so far inland, and chose property wisely.

I like you already! I totally appreciate that it is tough to pick up and move. I want out of California, badly. But I have a very sick mother, no siblings and she has to be close to the best healthcare she can get. So I am being as good of a son as I can and seeing her through the last years of her life so she can be comfortable and well taken care of.

I just wonder what people are thinking when they move to New Orleans and worry about flooding or move to Kansas and worry about tornadoes or move to California and worry about earthquakes.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

you seem to be struggling to separate the concepts "parasites are a thing that exists in an ecosystem" and "parasites are a bad thing for the ecosystem and should be eliminated".
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
            what exactly is twisted about it? you're gonna have to provide a supporting argument here (for once).

Supporting argument to defend that human life is worth something? Really?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Supporting argument to defend that human life is worth something? Really?
              If people are useless what about all the help you get in your myriad restore basket case threads?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                you seem to be struggling to separate the concepts "parasites are a thing that exists in an ecosystem" and "parasites are a bad thing for the ecosystem and should be eliminated".

I am not struggling with the difference. The language used by certain people that "humans are parasites" is specifically to justify eliminating them. No one uses that phrase in any other context.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I am not struggling with the difference. The language used by certain people that "humans are parasites" is specifically to justify eliminating them. No one uses that phrase in any other context.
                  It seems you are confused.

On the one hand, you seem upset it was suggested people are parasitic.

Then you seem to espouse people are useless.

?????

Comment

yes they do, and i am one of the people using them in another context.

i'm not calling for genocide or sterilization- you're putting words in my mouth, and the amount of hypocrisy involved with calling me "dishonest" while doing that is incredible.

can you make the argument that humans existing on earth has been a net positive for the planet as an organism?
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

The bickering continues... :p

We are getting off topic in the off topic lounge lol.

Global warming has raised global sea level about 8" since 1880, and the rate of rise is accelerating. Rising seas dramatically increase the odds of damaging floods from storm surges.

...and for those that refuse to click links...

I grew up in Tampa bay and the barrier islands around Bradenton/Sarasota area were constantly being dredged and dumped on the beach to help keep the sea water out of homes, and me being in the construction industry at the time, we were actually raising beach-front homes in the late 90's early 00's. No joke, made a good living jacking homes up and building new foundations under them. Now the water is rising at a much more accelerated rate and construction can't even keep up anymore. Fortunately I live ~12 miles inland with a 14' elevation, the shop is about 3 miles from the beach, but at 16'. Miami beach is ~6' average.
                      I don't know much about your local situation, if its seal level rising or land subsiding, but sea levels have been rising for a long, long, long time, and not because of so called man made global warming.
                      And if you take the time to read through the material it's interesting to note CO2 levels and sea level have no correlation.

Holocene Sea Levels were 2 Meters Higher  1. Are Modern ‘Anthropogenic’ Sea Levels Rising At An Unprecedented Rate?  No. Despite the surge in CO2 concentrations since 1900, the UN’s Intergovernment…
                      Last edited by gwb72tii; 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM.
                      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

you're struggling with the difference in the same breath as claiming you're not
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                          If people are useless what about all the help you get in your myriad restore basket case threads?

You are lost on what I was saying. I was saying, "Why should I have to defend the idea that people have value?" Isn't it obvious? It doesn't need any defending.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                            It seems you are confused.

On the one hand, you seem upset it was suggested people are parasitic.

Then you seem to espouse people are useless.

?????

You aren't reading correctly. I am far from confused.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

We have millions of bacteria in our bodies we need to survive.

They are considered parasites.

Just saying.

Comment

You are lost on what I was saying. I was saying, "Why should I have to defend the idea that people have value?" Isn't it obvious? It doesn't need any defending.
                                "i don't need to provide supporting arguments because i'm automatically right"
                                past:
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:

Comment

Working...
                                X