Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cale View Post

Aka, the epitome of mainstream.

Are you really this daft, or does the "main stream media" moniker only apply to the sources you disagree with?
    Main stream media in conservative minds has never included Fox. They don't repeat the chants and mantras of NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC. So quite literally, the dissenting opinion outlet is the exact opposite of mainstream. It's all about agendas. Not to be confused with popularity. Rush Limbaugh would call them Drive-by Media. Same damned thing.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post

Main stream media in conservative minds has never included Fox. They don't repeat the chants and mantras of NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC. So quite literally, the dissenting opinion outlet is the exact opposite of mainstream. It's all about agendas. Not to be confused with popularity. Rush Limbaugh would call them Drive-by Media. Same damned thing.
      mainstream - noun

the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend:

adjective

belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.:

You're failing to stick the landing with your mental gymnastics. I realize you're desperately trying to defend Trump daddies overuse of the woe-is-me MSM defense, but parroting a stupid argument doesn't make it any more viable.

Comment

mainstream - noun

the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend:

adjective

belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.:

You're failing to stick the landing with your mental gymnastics. I realize you're desperately trying to defend Trump daddies overuse of the woe-is-me MSM defense, but parroting a stupid argument doesn't make it any more viable.
        Why are you playing word games when you have known for decades that the MSM has never meant what you are implying? Literally no one has ever made your argument, in the history of ever. Talk about stupid. Silly sophist.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Word games? I'm not the one trying to rewrite definitions to serve a narrative.

Not only have you butchered the definition of mainstream, you've ignored that mainstream media is actually a term that holds it's own definition.

mainstream media

NOUN

treated as singular or plural the mainstream media
          • Traditional or established broadcasting or publishing outlets
          https://www.lexico.com/definition/cognitive_dissonance

Your cognitive dissonance is embarrassing.

Comment

I think what Cale was getting at is maybe what we think of as "MSM" should be rethought due to Right's very powerful & popular media presence current day, be it tv, radio or the web. Perhaps Fox News Channel can no longer be considered an "Alternative" media source when it is #1 for 18 years in a row?

How about Sinclair Broadcast group gobbling up all the local stations in the country and having them parrot the same conservative & corporate bias stories? Reaching something over 70% of homes?

https://kinja-vh.akamaihd.net/i/prod...il/master.m3u8

1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Word games? I'm not the one trying to rewrite definitions to serve a narrative.

Not only have you butchered the definition of mainstream, you've ignored that mainstream media is actually a term that holds it's own definition.

mainstream media

NOUN

treated as singular or plural the mainstream media
              • Traditional or established broadcasting or publishing outlets
              https://www.lexico.com/definition/cognitive_dissonance

Your cognitive dissonance is embarrassing.
              I know you think its embarrassing, but seriously, no one has ever, ever contended that the MSM is anything other than parrots repeating the same narrative over and over across all media outlets.

Your leftist nutjob hero Noam Chomsky defines the MSM like this:
              "Noam Chomsky, in an essay titled, “What Makes Mainstream Media Mainstream,” argued that corporate media organizations attempt to “divert” people’s attention from serious matters. “What are the elite media, the agenda-setting ones? The New York Times and CBS, for example. Well, first of all, they are major, very profitable, corporations. Furthermore, most of them are either linked to, or outright owned by, much bigger corporations, like General Electric, Westinghouse, and so on,” wrote Chomsky. “They are way up at the top of the power structure of the private economy which is a very tyrannical structure. Corporations are basically tyrannies, hierarchic, controlled [sic] from above. If you don’t like what they are doing you get out. The major media are just part of that system.”"

Even the very porous Wikipedia doesn't agree with your definition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_media

Stop being a fucking hack Cale. It is just disgusting.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post
                I think what Cale was getting at is maybe what we think of as "MSM" should be rethought due to Right's very powerful & popular media presence current day, be it tv, radio or the web. Perhaps Fox News Channel can no longer be considered an "Alternative" media source when it is #1 for 18 years in a row?

How about Sinclair Broadcast group gobbling up all the local stations in the country and having them parrot the same conservative & corporate bias stories? Reaching something over 70% of homes?

Mainstream thought is the meme behind mainstream media, not mainstream as in the largest group. The ability to reach 70% of homes is not the same thing as people tuning in. I know you know the difference.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I know you think its embarrassing, but seriously, no one has ever, ever contended that the MSM is anything other than parrots repeating the same narrative over and over across all media outlets.
                  Ironic that you think Fox is any different in this regard

Your leftist nutjob hero Noam Chomsky....
                  Try harder to paint me with that partisan brush of yours. I'm anti-stupid of left things as well, perhaps someday you'll be able to realize these topics aren't binary.

Comment

Ironic that you think Fox is any different in this regard
                    You know, you aren't that clever. They just speak about things you disagree with, therefore, bad. Orange man bad. TDS is legit and you are patient number 1.

Try harder to paint me with that partisan brush of yours. I'm anti-stupid of left things as well, perhaps someday you'll be able to realize these topics aren't binary.
                    So you think you are objective? Ridgedly adhering to the idea that MSM means something it never has? I don't have to paint you with any brush, you do it well enough yourself. And you aren't anti-stupid things of the left at all. You are blinded by the narrative you have bought, hook, line and sinker.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I dare you to watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAF4Tx_m3g

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

You know, you aren't that clever. They just speak about things you disagree with, therefore, bad. Orange man bad. TDS is legit and you are patient number 1.
                        They along with nearly every other news outlet that tops the chart of most viewed, that includes the likes of CNN and NBC. I'm not suggesting Fox stands alone in garbage content, I'm just not accepting the bullshit sob story of MSM has it out for Trump when the #1 news source in the country has him on speed dial as his biggest supporters. You're just busy parroting Trump soundbites, try thinking critically for a change.

Ridgedly adhering to the idea that MSM means something it never has?
                        More assertion without substance.
                        Last edited by cale; 07-14-2020, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I loved it when he criticized politicians for following talking points, media for quoting those talking points (although several shown were probably parroting), to defend a position from DT that there is an immigration crisis, which somehow justifies a solution from a millennia ago (which he also alluded to), only to then clearly state that we don't know how bad the crisis is in the first place. The remainder is opinion, which is that his show offers.

Also, you two should just get a room already.

Comment

Your leftist nutjob hero Noam Chomsky defines the MSM like this:
                            "Noam Chomsky, in an essay titled, “What Makes Mainstream Media Mainstream,” argued that corporate media organizations attempt to “divert” people’s attention from serious matters. “What are the elite media, the agenda-setting ones? The New York Times and CBS, for example. Well, first of all, they are major, very profitable, corporations. Furthermore, most of them are either linked to, or outright owned by, much bigger corporations, like General Electric, Westinghouse, and so on,” wrote Chomsky. “They are way up at the top of the power structure of the private economy which is a very tyrannical structure. Corporations are basically tyrannies, hierarchic, controlled [sic] from above. If you don’t like what they are doing you get out. The major media are just part of that system.”"
                            Wait, seriously why is Chomsky a "nut job"? Realize you just used his very intelligent and accurate description to bolster your exact thoughts! Don't kid yourself! News Corp and Rupert Murdoch and the zillions of media entities they own, including Fox News, is not at all different. Chomsky so often excellently illustrates how corporations and huge monied interests run ALL of these media outlets, be it right themed or neo-liberal ones, to shape and make their own agenda which is all about **profit first**.

Also, you just said "seriously, no one has ever, ever contended that the MSM is anything other than parrots repeating the same narrative over" -- realize I just linked you to a prime example of how corporate-conservative Sinclair is doing this all over the entire US:

Fox and Newscorp, and Sinclair, and the Tribune Co. and the enormous multitude of other heavy "conservative" outlets that are extremely wealthy / powerful / widespread are definitely not the little guys. They are the agenda-makers, too. And making it WORSE a number of these work hand in hand with this President and his Administration as an official Propaganda arm, they even trade staff back and forth in highly critical roles. For example, something like 20-25 people have gone through the revolving door between Fox and this White house. That's unprecedented & alarming.

Last edited by phillipj; 07-14-2020, 01:36 PM.
                            1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

They along with nearly every other news outlet that tops the chart of most viewed, that includes the likes of CNN and NBC. I'm not suggesting Fox stands alone in garbage content, I'm just not accepting the bullshit sob story of MSM has it out for Trump when the #1 news source in the country has him on speed dial as his biggest supporters. You're just busy parroting Trump soundbites, try thinking critically for a change.
                              No no bro. My criticism of the MSM has nothing to do with Trump. They have been anti-America for decades now. They pushed the Ferguson lie, the "Very Fine People" lie, that reopening the economy will kill people, literally lie. No one is telling 100% the truth free from bias. The idea that Fox somehow is responsible for the MSM dividing our country is just as much bullshit though and that is what you asserted in the first place.

More assertion without substance.
                              Dude, you literally posted definitions from the dictionary trying to claim that being a large news corporation means Fox is part of the "Mainstream Media" when it clearly isn't and never has been considered the MSM. Do you have a spine in there? Anywhere?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I loved it when he criticized politicians for following talking points, media for quoting those talking points (although several shown were probably parroting), to defend a position from DT that there is an immigration crisis, which somehow justifies a solution from a millennia ago (which he also alluded to), only to then clearly state that we don't know how bad the crisis is in the first place. The remainder is opinion, which is that his show offers.

Also, you two should just get a room already.
                                The truth is, and always has been, we have been in a state of immigration crisis since the Amnesty of '86. Its not up for debate. The system is broken and has been for decades. Not knowing the extent of a crisis does not mean there isn't a crisis.

And if you don't think walls work, why did CHAZ immediately establish borders? Fuck me man, seriously.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X