No announcement yet.

You've probably not seen an E30 suspension failure like this before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually we tired various stock sway bars. Vert, m3, even aftermarket etc. The best scenario we found was OE 325 sway bars, j-stock springs with matching front shocks. Rear b6 Bilstein from Camaro with a different bushing pressed in.

We are the points for solid engine mounts, but keep stock trans mounts. We found it breaks the tabs off less. Plus benefit of them engine u likely to hit radiator unless and accident.

Run your gearbox vent high. Under braking the g260 spits fluid out the vent. Pull the plastic cap off and use 3/8 vent, run it up by the fuse box.

ECU is now open/free. A well built Spece30 legal engine will do 175whp with a good exhaust and stand alone. My personal record is 171 with stock ECU and Spec legal exhaust. Our car was making 180whp with headers. You can skin the bodywork, and get close to 2200lb with driver if you used .090 wall cage material.

We ran 8" wide Tirerack forged wheels. They are about $130ea, BFG Rival 225/45 was our fastest tire.

We strategized our pit stops. The e30 is not going to be on the pointy end of the lap times, so if we had over 1.5hr on a driver and double yellow, we would put and typically stay on the same lap. Many thoughts are "run it till it's empty" but I found the strategy works better overall.

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

All good points for any team getting started with champcar.

We are well beyond that at this point. We won RAtl in '18 (146 chassis with failed front subframe photo on p1) and '19 (246 chassis I just repaired frame rails on)

Click image for larger version

Name:	298292298_10200253051434475_9093533751081592119_n.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	10077319

Comment

Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post

All good points for any team getting started with champcar.

We are well beyond that at this point. We won RAtl in '18 (146 chassis with failed front subframe photo on p1) and '19 (246 chassis I just repaired frame rails on)

Click image for larger version

Name:	298292298_10200253051434475_9093533751081592119_n.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	10077319
        I was there. We had the Kids Racing for Life e30. You're Huggy as another handle? ;)

Our issue was drivers. I tailed you through t10, that was the year everyone was doing aero, I lost grip. Our slow drivers were 9 SECONDS off pace lol.

We weren't going for the win, we got Sportsmanship trophy many times tho. :)
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I was there. We had the Kids Racing for Life e30. You're Huggy as another handle? ;)

Our issue was drivers. I tailed you through t10, that was the year everyone was doing aero, I lost grip. Our slow drivers were 9 SECONDS off pace lol.

We weren't going for the win, we got Sportsmanship trophy many times tho. :)
          Yes, my name is Chris Huggins and I went by Huggy on the champcar forum until I changed to my real name after joining the Champcar leadership team.

The sportsmanship trophy (currently the "chandler school trophy") is an awesome achievement!

Comment

We got it in 2016 for changing the clutch 3x at Sebring, and again for the giant snow man.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20221206-231235~2.png Views:	0 Size:	164.7 KB ID:	10077331
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

The diffs do break their tabs...
              With ITB cages, the front inner fender welds break, too.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X