Mk60e5 ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mk60e5 ABS

I've been thinking about a Mk60 ABS system for a while, I've been put-off by the high cost of the units, they're universally popular and getting kind of pricey, like $800 for just the ABS.

The Mk60E5 that came on the E90 M3's, however, is still incredibly affordable. I just purchased the ABS unit for $40, DELIVERED! The challenge is that the E5 uses magneto-resistive front rings (MR) and won't work with the stock rings in the front. So far I've figured-out that the Dodge/Chrysler rings found on Challengers among many others are an almost perfect match, being only 1.5mm larger in diameter. There's another ring that came on Peugot's that the exact same size but they're not as easily available. Plus, Peugot...

I've got everything mocked-up on a spare strut and it fits great! The sensor is the rear one from an E90 M3. $12 on Amazon. The adapter for the sensor is getting printed in SLS Nylon. The sleeve to adapt the MR ring to the hub needs to be cut on a lathe either from scratch or by cutting down the stock wheel. Ideas here are welcome!

The rear is incredibly easy. There's an E46 sensor that will fit in our bung with a 2mm spacer and work with the stock toothed wheel.

The E5 version has 5 internal pressure sensors, no more external sensors, and is almost completely standalone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	10098578 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.2 KB ID:	10098580 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	10098577 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	10098579 Click image for larger version  Name:	358107018_10230558250447164_1596095717570389830_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	10098581

Interested in how this goes, if it works out I'm 100% doing this

Comment

Front hub ready to mount. Front nylon adapter for the E90 sensor is printed, front is completely ready to install!

Rear is mocked-up and the parts are out for printing.

Bracket for the ABS unit is done.

The E90 steering angle sensor, unfortunately, is designed to fit into the steering wheel and clock spring assembly, so it's big, but there's room for it on a non-airbag shaft. The much smaller E46 one doesn't work with the Mk60E5.

It's really weird not having metal teeth anymore. Also, the MJF printed nylon pieces (the green stuff is just PLA...) are strong AF.

I also have everything completely working on the test bench; DSC sensor with yaw, lateral and long acceleration and the steering angle sensor. Five pressure sensor are completely integrated with the ABS unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	10100833 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	10100832 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	10100831 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture7.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	10100830 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture6.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	10100829

Comment

That steering sensor is one big boy.
        Still, if it works, I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by hozzziii View Post
          That steering sensor is one big boy.
          Still, if it works, I'm in.
          I've gotten some clarifying information that the SZL isn't needed and it will just use the yaw and acceleration sensors for the cool stuff we need.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

I've gotten some clarifying information that the SZL isn't needed and it will just use the yaw and acceleration sensors for the cool stuff we need.
            I think the older Mk60 was also the same and you could run without it, albeit with a bit less functionality.

Comment

There's an excellent Facebook group called the "MK60e5 and MK60 ABS retrofit" group. It's mostly track-focused folk converting all kinds of chassis to run MK60, lots of great talent from around the world.

Latest topic is that the pressure sensors on the O.G. Mk60 are prone to failure and will liberate the brake pressure at the worst time resulting in "I was there" crash videos. The E5 has the internal sensors and isn't affected.

Comment

I'm not quite sure this is a fully standalone setup. The MK50E5 is driven off of 500k PT_CAN, which typically communicates to the MSS60, MSS65, or even in the case of the E9x chassis, the MSD80/81 DME's. To that point, it needs to know engine torque request CAN info at a minimum, but I think it needs more.
                Personally, I'm working this right now on my E31 that has an S85 (MSS65 dme). I"m using a RWD 135i MK60E5 setup and could post updates here as well.

For the steering angle sensor, I highly recommend you simply install any E53 or E46 version. It's much smaller and works with the MK60E5, but for your application you'd need to still adapt it to your steering column somehow.
                Recent Rebranding!!
                Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                Instagram.com/garageaholic
                Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by Garageaholic View Post
                  I'm not quite sure this is a fully standalone setup. The MK50E5 is driven off of 500k PT_CAN, which typically communicates to the MSS60, MSS65, or even in the case of the E9x chassis, the MSD80/81 DME's. To that point, it needs to know engine torque request CAN info at a minimum, but I think it needs more.
                  Personally, I'm working this right now on my E31 that has an S85 (MSS65 dme). I"m using a RWD 135i MK60E5 setup and could post updates here as well.

For the steering angle sensor, I highly recommend you simply install any E53 or E46 version. It's much smaller and works with the MK60E5, but for your application you'd need to still adapt it to your steering column somehow.
                  You are part correct. It does need to to communicate with the DME for the full suite of functions (and there are a lot!), but without the DME it will still do the ABS functions perfectly, even without steering angle sensor. Adding the steering angle gains some stability control. The DME is required for traction control and hill-hold features among some others.

I've tried the E5 with the E46 angle sensor and it just doesn't work. The full E90 SZL is required. I wish I could use the E46 one, trust me!

I presently have the mag rings installed in the rear and pressed onto the front hubs, waiting to install. I'm basically waiting for the end of the season to remove the subframe and fuel tank to run separate rear lines. I'll run stainless line with AN3 fittings.

yes, absolutely post updates on your build!!

Comment

Front sensors are installed and complete. Just waiting for the little connector clip, which is NLE, so I can clip the connector onto the fender. I have the rear sensors in, but not the rear wiring yet, and I need to run brake lines and wire the ABS connector.

Tracking without ABS the last few sessions was interesting. It was mostly Ok, but smoked the tires on a few occasions locking them up.

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	10106350 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	10106351 Click image for larger version

Views:	973
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	10106352

Comment

Why did you switch to the magnetic ring on the rear?

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
                        Why did you switch to the magnetic ring on the rear?
                        It's possible to code the unit to run the stock rings in the back, but it was incredibly easy to just put mag rings over the CV shafts and not need to do the coding

I found it a steep learning curve to get Tool32 configured, have the right VIN and all that to fo it.

Comment

DSC is mounted. This is the yaw and acceleration sensor.

Views:	910
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	10107395 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	10107394

Comment

Are you gonna run the steering sensor?

Comment

Are you gonna run the steering sensor?
                              Not at first, anyway. Everything I've seen shows that the steering angle sensor isn't needed and doesn't offer any additional functions without having the entire ECU integrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X