No announcement yet.

Mk60e5 ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another update. I removed the fuel tank and rear subframe to run the independent rear lines. I mostly copied the stock line and then improvised a bit, needed to modify the front flange to take 2 lines instead of 1. This is stainless line and it was laughably easy to bend, the 37 degree flare is a little trickier on it because it likes to crack but I got that figured-out, too. Leak checked and it's good-to-go!

The sharp-eyed will notice the GM style fuel fitting right on the fuel line. I can do that (and connect the fuel rail directly to the fuel line) because I moved the FPR to the tank. Fits pretty much like a glove, it frees up space for extra lines to the front and is just more efficient.

The big line is a 3/8 AN6 line that's the first of two power steering lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	10108592 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	10108590 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	10108591 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	10108593

Comment

That looks pretty trick! What tool did you use to flare the GM fuel fitting? Your lines look really neat.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        That looks pretty trick! What tool did you use to flare the GM fuel fitting? Your lines look really neat.
        I have a Mastercool 37 degree flare kit, and I got the 5/16 die that does the GM fuel fitting. Easy-peasy.
        the 3/16 stainless brake lines are trivially easy and I mostly copied the stock line. The 5/16 fuel line took a little more effort. Bending the 3/8 lines with the hand bender takes a bit of body english.

Hardest thing is that stainless doesn't like to flare. In fact, it will easily crack. I found that if I heat it red-hot by the time I get it in the fixture and flare it the result is perfect.

All the cool kids are using NiCop these days. It's much easier to flare and bend but i just prefer the strength of stainless.

Comment

Ah, yeah that's really nice to be able to flare GM fuel fittings. I'm excited to see your progress, it seems like you're very close now!

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Very interested in this. I bought my 4-dr with the brake lines butchered, so I need to do them anyway, and I've always wanted to someday to do a 4-channel setup, MK60 or otherwise.

Is the E9x M3 unit the same as the non-M? I can't find any M3 units sub-$300, but I could grab a non-m from a junkyard for nothing I'm sure.

A bit confused about the FPR at the tank and the pressure loss/reaction time it must add? I'm sure you could adapt a tune for the pressure loss no problem, but any delay would be interesting to deal with.

Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              Very interested in this. I bought my 4-dr with the brake lines butchered, so I need to do them anyway, and I've always wanted to someday to do a 4-channel setup, MK60 or otherwise.

Is the E9x M3 unit the same as the non-M? I can't find any M3 units sub-$300, but I could grab a non-m from a junkyard for nothing I'm sure.

A bit confused about the FPR at the tank and the pressure loss/reaction time it must add? I'm sure you could adapt a tune for the pressure loss no problem, but any delay would be interesting to deal with.

Any garden-variety Mk60 will work but I think only the M-car ones have the motorsports goodness. The units out of E46 M3's are grossly expensive at a minimum of $800 and usually closer to $1000, but the E92 M3 unites can be had everyday on Ebay for $2-300 and I got mine for $70. A regular E46 Mk60 that you can get for $50 would still be leagues better than we have!

Regarding the FPR, not an issue on the N52 because my vacuum reference line isn't even connected, due to no vacuum on the N52. That's right, the throttle body is wide-open at anything other than idle and normally the valve lift itself is the throttle which means there's no vacuum in the manifold. Also, the injectors sit in the head and not the manifold which means removing the manifold takes about 3 minutes! For the same reason the N52 has a dedicated vacuum pump to operate the brake booster otherwise they wouldn't have brakes.

Even on something like an S50 I don't see it as an issue because pressure changes at the rear would be almost instantaneous and inconsequential.

I finally finished all of my hardlines, including the two for hydro-electric power steering, which means I can re-install the rear subframe soon and get on with the Mk60....

steering return, steering pressure, brakes left, brakes right, fuel

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	10109771

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

Any garden-variety Mk60 will work but I think only the M-car ones have the motorsports goodness. The units out of E46 M3's are grossly expensive at a minimum of $800 and usually closer to $1000, but the E92 M3 unites can be had everyday on Ebay for $2-300 and I got mine for $70. A regular E46 Mk60 that you can get for $50 would still be leagues better than we have!

Regarding the FPR, not an issue on the N52 because my vacuum reference line isn't even connected, due to no vacuum on the N52. That's right, the throttle body is wide-open at anything other than idle and normally the valve lift itself is the throttle which means there's no vacuum in the manifold. Also, the injectors sit in the head and not the manifold which means removing the manifold takes about 3 minutes! For the same reason the N52 has a dedicated vacuum pump to operate the brake booster otherwise they wouldn't have brakes.
                Not going to pretend to understand where the line is for "motorsport goodness" but I'll just follow along and if I get to the point I'm ready to do this to whichever car, I'll look into it.

I forgot you were N52 swapped. Never considered valvetronic's impact on the fuel system.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I got a deal on some E30 M3 KW V3's so upgrading the ABS at the same time I install those would work well.

Got some E28 front bearings and pulled the rings off, measured 79mm diameter on the mounting face, I think Chrysler ring will work with a thinner spacer

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	10110532

Comment

The four corners are connected, just need to run the 1/4" lines to master cylinders and wire the plug. Getting close!

Also need to figure-out the reservoir; I had the 2002 one last year and wasn't crazy about it, mostly because the plastic connections were under some strain.

LOTS of room for the air filter...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	10111336

Views:	813
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	10111337

Comment

Did you try to code it? Maybe you know, SZL its needed for coding?

Comment

Originally posted by latitude View Post
                        Did you try to code it? Maybe you know, SZL its needed for coding?
                        I have it provisioned so I can plug the SZL in to code (it connects to the bus that goes to the DSC sensor under my seat...) but I haven't needed to code anything, and I probably won't need to. The system is all connected, bled and working, just waiting for weather to clear to do some first drives.

I'm happy with how the plumbing turned out, a $10 VW bus reservoir turned out to be the perfect form factor.

I'm stoked that I can read line pressures directly to adjust my balance bar for optimum front/rear balance, it had always been something of a guessing game before, plus this thing ROCKS for logging.

Views:	739
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	10112187

Name:	Capture.3JPG.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	10112186

Name:	Capture4.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	10112185

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	10112188

Comment

Which E5 controller are you running? Have you had it "motorsport" flashed? There's some cool stuff that can be done with E5 units.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                            Which E5 controller are you running? Have you had it "motorsport" flashed? There's some cool stuff that can be done with E5 units.
                            The E90M3 unit. I know there are adjustments that can be made, gonna run "as is" first. I hear it works fine out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

I have it provisioned so I can plug the SZL in to code (it connects to the bus that goes to the DSC sensor under my seat...) but I haven't needed to code anything, and I probably won't need to. The system is all connected, bled and working, just waiting for weather to clear to do some first drives.
                              I have mk60e1 from e90 (4cyl) swapped to my nissan, but without SZL (i'm thinking of adding it). Everything worked fine but as i wanted improve performance, i updated unit with latest software (via winkfp) and now i need to code it (it throws coding error in inpa) but i failed, i dont know which module version (mk60_87.C??) should i use in ncs dummy and i failed to find it in ncs expert...

Apparently in e1 and e5 you can code many things (like e-diff, brake size, brake caliper piston size, etc.)​​

Comment

latitude I had several issues with the original ABS, particularly with my Wilwood kit. Primary problem is that I was moving more fluid than the ABS was capable of passing, so there was a delayed response from pressure on the pedal and braking. That issue went away when I deleted the ABS and the feel and response became great.

Second thing is that the original ABS did it's intended job fine, that is, it kept wheels from locking, but under hard braking the car was nervous and didn't maintain directional control well. It took some steering input to keep it straight.

if this unit modulates pressure to control yaw I will be 100% happy.

The other bonus is that the Mk60 is so small compared to the stock unit that I have room for my intake now!

My immediate "to do" is to figure-out the easiest way to do logging. Not with TestO but with something like this.... https://www.gridconnect.com/products...logger-sd-card

Comment

Working...
                                X