Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem. If it were a good deal it would have been sold by now. I have seen it for sale for months now. I would say the market got the value right at about $7,000 on ebay. I think there are a lot of salvage cars that are worth it but if you are going to buy something as rare as an M5 wouldn't you want it to hold its value better considering the money you will put in it to maintain?

It seems like a good condition e34 with papers and around 140,000 miles go for about $15,000 which isn't cheap. For $3,000 more you can get an e39 with about 110,000 miles or even an e28 m5.

I also wasn't impressed driving that e34, it was pretty slow. I know they are not rocket ships but damn it was very uninspiring.
    sigpic
    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

i really just need something thats really good at doing long drives, and thats pretty fun too drive too, plus i've always wanted an e34 m5 and i was hoping to pick one up before the prices go completely bat shit nuts
      88 325is Five Speed
      Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
        i really just need something thats really good at doing long drives, and thats pretty fun too drive too, plus i've always wanted an e34 m5 and i was hoping to pick one up before the prices go completely bat shit nuts
        Haha, that is exactly why I wanted one. My E30 is too small to get 4 people in there and go camping. I mean, it is possible but that will be one cramped ride. Good luck!
        sigpic
        TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
          Haha, that is exactly why I wanted one. My E30 is too small to get 4 people in there and go camping. I mean, it is possible but that will be one cramped ride. Good luck!
          yeah depending on how my moms job situation changes, we might be moving up to SLO, but i still haft to go to school in the IE, I'm not down with doing 8-9 hours of driving a week in my e30
          88 325is Five Speed
          Lachssilber

Comment

An E39 540i/6 is probably a good candidate, plenty of decent examples on craigslist anywhere from $5K-8K depending on miles/options.

Comment

I'm waiting for Castro's to make an E39 LS swap kit. =]
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                An E39 540i/6 is probably a good candidate, plenty of decent examples on craigslist anywhere from $5K-8K depending on miles/options.
                ive driven a e39 540/6 and i liked it, but it was too modern for me, i didn't get the sense that i could do any of the work my self
                88 325is Five Speed
                Lachssilber

Comment

I sold the M5 and bought an ETA the same week. I loved the lightweight, nimble feel of the E30. Never looked back.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                    hey guys is there really a big difference between an e34 540i/6 and an m5, i've done some research and it seems like the maintenance cost and reliability are about the same and they seem to have pretty similar performance specs, id just like to here from someone that owns one
                    If you are looking for a daily driver get the 540/6.

The M5 is a blast to drive but they are much more expensive to fix as some of the parts are M5 specific. The solid valve train makes the maintenance a bit more on the S38. The 540/6 is your basic E34 so everything is cheaper and most parts can be found at the junk yard. Be prepared for oil leaks with the 540 but they can be fixed. As a price comparison the M60 motor is about $500 and the S38 is about $5000 if you can find one.

As far as the drive goes the torque that the you get with the 540 makes it a better daily driver especially in city driving.

You should be able to find a decent 540 for around $6k and a nice one for around $10K. You can find a fixer upper M5 for around $9K and a nice one for around $15K. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jim, yeah that helps a lot, it seems like 540 it is, it seems like i can buy a nicer 540i and still have some money left over for maintenance/ fancy stuff, while if i bought an m5 id be eating ramen for the next 5 years of my life to pay for gas and parts
                      88 325is Five Speed
                      Lachssilber

Comment

I hope the rain lets up on my way home this evening.:( Im running 225/50/16 hanhook ventus rs3's with only less than 3/32's tread depth. These are like running intermediate tires slipping and sliding is not what i am looking forward too on my way home.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

SoCal General Chat

Hey guys so I bought my current e30 325e 1987 3 weeks before the Car-b-q meet. I had not done a lot of looking around the car before I drove up to the meet from Glendora, on my way home the car started to run a bit rough. Well just had time check things over closer not good engine is on its last legs. Look like I am doing my swap two years ahead of planned for this car, so I am looking for an m52b28 from e36 on the cheap servings I am a little strapped for cash right now and my credit is a joke. Any help would be great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                          Last edited by wiedmannwerks; 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedmannwerks View Post
                            Hey guys so I bought my current e30 325e 1987 3 weeks before the Car-b-q meet. I had not done a lot of looking around the car before I drove up to the meet from Glendora, on my way home the car started to run a bit rough. Well just had time check things over closer not good engine is on its last legs. Look like I am doing my swap two years ahead of planned for this car, so I am looking for an m52b28 from e34 on the cheap servings I am a little strapped for cash right now and my credit is a joke. Any help would be great thanks

You mean from a e36 m52 2.8,not an e34. E34 has a m50 2.5
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

SoCal General Chat

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                              You mean from a e36 m52 2.8,not an e34. E34 has a m50 2.5
                              Yes sorry that is what I meant e36 not e34 thank u

Comment

Originally posted by wiedmannwerks View Post
                                Hey guys so I bought my current e30 325e 1987 3 weeks before the Car-b-q meet. I had not done a lot of looking around the car before I drove up to the meet from Glendora, on my way home the car started to run a bit rough. Well just had time check things over closer not good engine is on its last legs. Look like I am doing my swap two years ahead of planned for this car, so I am looking for an m52b28 from e36 on the cheap servings I am a little strapped for cash right now and my credit is a joke. Any help would be great thanks

What did you check that's not good?

Comment

Working...
                                X