Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SoCal General Chat

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I ha e 2 front stoptech slotted rotors for sale 95 picked up in LA or OC, posting here before i post them on gereral for sale

    Comment


      Welp, tried using that Powerbuilt socket that I see mentioned here a lot to remove the output flange on my "new" transmission and this happened..



      My impact isn't enough (only 300 ft/lb) and I can't figure out how to keep the entire transmission from moving when I put a breaker bar on it (I'm wondering if I should try and put it in my vice ). I don't have any heat and really don't want to one of those things for literally one nut. Anyone have any ideas? I'll be looking for another socket in the meantime, and I've got the nut doused in PB blaster until I come back. :curse:
      Last edited by sileighty; 03-17-2018, 07:08 PM.

      Comment


        Just stick a screwdriver through one of the bolt holes on the output flange, or rig some sort of bolted jig so it doesnt move and put the breaker bar to use. Is that socket cracked?? If so seems like a fluke

        Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

        Comment


          I've already got the output shaft held down:



          The problem is when use a breaker bar on the nut, the entire transmission starts to rotate. I've tried every way I can think of to get a lot of leverage to stand on the transmission and keep it from moving, but I can't stop it (I'm probably too light ). And with the impact gun I have it hammering for 15 seconds straight and it won't do anything. I had another go after a couple of hours of PB Blaster but still nothing

          I'm going to think about getting an air impact tomorrow and see if that helps. I only have an 8 gallon compressor but hopefully that's good enough for just one giant nut. My socket has 2 cracks now, but I think it has enough life for one final go with an air gun tomorrow. I have a face mask on incase it goes out with a bang :curse:

          Comment


            Originally posted by sileighty View Post
            I've already got the output shaft held down:


            The problem is when use a breaker bar on the nut, the entire transmission starts to rotate. I've tried every way I can think of to get a lot of leverage to stand on the transmission and keep it from moving, but I can't stop it (I'm probably too light ). And with the impact gun I have it hammering for 15 seconds straight and it won't do anything. I had another go after a couple of hours of PB Blaster but still nothing

            I'm going to think about getting an air impact tomorrow and see if that helps. I only have an 8 gallon compressor but hopefully that's good enough for just one giant nut. My socket has 2 cracks now, but I think it has enough life for one final go with an air gun tomorrow. I have a face mask on incase it goes out with a bang :curse:
            If you need a hand, I have a snap on 1/2 inch air impact that has never failed me and a Milwaukee electric 1/2 inch impact that packs a good punch too.

            Comment


              Originally posted by TheRob View Post
              If you need a hand, I have a snap on 1/2 inch air impact that has never failed me and a Milwaukee electric 1/2 inch impact that packs a good punch too.
              That would be awesome! PM'd ;)

              Comment


                Hey guys, thinking about selling my Eastwood TIG welder with all the accessories needed to get welding with it. Is there anybody here that would maybe interested in it here before I list it on Craigslist. Will probably ask $500 for it, because I have hardly used it and it's in great shape.

                29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

                72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
                Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

                Comment


                  Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                  Hey guys, thinking about selling my Eastwood TIG welder with all the accessories needed to get welding with it. Is there anybody here that would maybe interested in it here before I list it on Craigslist. Will probably ask $500 for it, because I have hardly used it and it's in great shape.
                  Pmed

                  Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                    Pmed
                    Beat me to it

                    Currently building a badass coffee table
                    Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                    Comment


                      I performed an "experiment" today.

                      My gas gauge needle often doesn't work, but the empty-tank light does. My ODO works, so I know that I get about 230-260~ miles from a tank. But I wanted to know how much gas is still left in the tank when the light comes on....

                      So I ran the car until it sputtered. Dumb, yes, but I'm planning to replace the pump anyway, and I carried a gallon of gas (for road-trip emergencies) to fill 'er up. The car sputtered on the freeway, so I instantly took the next exit, where in fact it didn't sputter for the next two streets as I found a good spot to pull over.

                      The car made it 308 miles on one tank, at ~23 MPG. I vaguely remember the light came on around 274 miles, so that shows I had another 34 miles in the tank when the light came on, with about 1.4 gallons left.

                      Numbers aren't entirely accurate, and type of miles traveled (city/highway) varied. But now I finally have an idea! And you do too.

                      Currently building a badass coffee table
                      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                      Comment


                        SoCal General Chat

                        Doesn’t your OBC tell you exactly the same thing?
                        Simon
                        Current Car:
                        -2017 i3 REx, 21st Century E30
                        -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project



                        Make R3V Great Again -2020

                        Comment


                          Nah, it's not accurate either.

                          Currently building a badass coffee table
                          Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                          Comment


                            What size are your wheels/tires? I seem to remember my light turning on with about 35 miles or so the other day after driving to NorCal and back . I reset the OBC after we filled up heading north and I averaged 30mpg on the way up. Auto trans keeps the revs at around 3200 at 80mph
                            Simon
                            Current Car:
                            -2017 i3 REx, 21st Century E30
                            -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project



                            Make R3V Great Again -2020

                            Comment


                              I used to think my m20 was poor on gas, guess im not the only one. I would notice that i would get like 200-220 for a whole tank (mixed driving). One time i almost got 300 as i did only highway miles and i stayed at a speed of 65mph.

                              Comment


                                Tires are 195/60/R14. Slightly smaller than stock because I can't find decent /65 tires.

                                This is an app I use to record every fill-up, since last March. It doesn't show that my most fuel efficient trip was actually my most recent one to Big Bear, at 23mpg. I'm mostly doing city driving, hence the more common average of 19-20.


                                Footnote; my driving style is typically more aggressive than others, generally because I'm often late/in a rush. The engine is basically stock, with many new parts to keep her running strong, but nonetheless, she's an old and tired M20.

                                Currently building a badass coffee table
                                Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X