Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, he's a local and was at the Dockweiler meet yesterday. Could have had your questions answered. His product is a prototype at the moment, really well made. Hopefully you can reach him and get the info you desire.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

na

Comment

New to Forum in SoCal/OC - Original Owner 1985 325e 2dr Coupe 5spd in Cosmos Blue/Pearl Beige, with +/- 210K miles of smiles!

I was blown away by the 200+ E30s at Detweiler 2020 E30 gathering last Saturday, as I had no idea there were still so many E30s still running, out & about!

Cheers!
        Tom
        ///////
        Cheers!
        Tom
        Orange, CA, SoCal
        1985 325e 2dr Coupe, Orig. Owner
        - plus -
        1973 Porsche 914-2.0 "914S", 2nd Owner since Dec. 1975
        1985 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia, Orig. Owner
        1960 Avion T20 Travel Trailer (sim. to Airstream), Restored, Owner #3-4+?
        1970 Eriba Puck Travel Trailer, 90% Original, Owner #5?
        ///////

Comment

Glad you made it out Tom, keep an eye out on this subforum for the monthly gtg. Its going to be a bit tough being on a Friday night, but if you let us know youre coming we'll hang out until you show up. Its a smaller group so you'll get a better chance to get to know you. I also have a cosmosblau car, it will be cool to see yours! Original Owner too!! WoW!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So I’m changing the grommets on the master cylinder does it just pop off? I tried searching for an answer I didn’t get a clear one . Don’t want to just yank on it and break it

Comment

Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
              So I’m changing the grommets on the master cylinder does it just pop off? I tried searching for an answer I didn’t get a clear one . Don’t want to just yank on it and break it
              Yup, just pull slowly and evenly
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Yup, just pull slowly and evenly
                Sweet thanks I got it off . I had a nice leak coming from there . Some paint striped off the booster maybe I should give it a coat of some paint

Comment

Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post

Sweet thanks I got it off . I had a nice leak coming from there . Some paint striped off the booster maybe I should give it a coat of some paint
                  Most brake fluid is highly corrosive as well as retaining water as it ages - so clean it all off everywhere it leaked, then prep, prime & paint all metal surfaces where it was. I have to get belly pan body panel repair on my `73 914 from where brake fluid leaked down there. Of course the older pre-76 Porsches weren't hot dipped in zinc & rust easier than newer cars anyway. Our E30s were zinc treated, but best to be safe & enhance their longevity.

Cheers!
                  Tom
                  ///////
                  Cheers!
                  Tom
                  Orange, CA, SoCal
                  - plus -
                  ///////

Comment

Glad you made it out Tom, keep an eye out on this subforum for the monthly gtg. Its going to be a bit tough being on a Friday night, but if you let us know youre coming we'll hang out until you show up. Its a smaller group so you'll get a better chance to get to know you. I also have a cosmosblau car, it will be cool to see yours! Original Owner too!! WoW!
                    Thanx Simon, I'll look for it.

Are they ever in the South end of LA area (Long Beach/Seal Beach/Sunset/etc. or OC?

I don't get why there aren't more BMW & CCA events in OC. I quit CCA in large part due to them only having 3-4 OC events per year, whereas the Porsche club (PCA) OC Region (chapter) has 1-3 events in OC per week - mostly free or cost of meal, social & other rally, driving/DE, AX, Tech, CdE, etc events.

I called OC the Black Hole of BMW CCA.

I think that I saw a couple of Cosmos E30s at Detweiler, perhaps one was yours.

It won't be too cool to see mine yet, until I get the crappy `06 failed paint job redone. That body shop went BK the Monday after I picked mine up on a Friday, so just glad I was able to get the car out before then!

Cheers!
                    Tom
                    ///////
                    Cheers!
                    Tom
                    Orange, CA, SoCal
                    - plus -
                    ///////

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_T View Post

Thanx Simon, I'll look for it.

Are they ever in the South end of LA area (Long Beach/Seal Beach/Sunset/etc. or OC?

I don't get why there aren't more BMW & CCA events in OC. I quit CCA in large part due to them only having 3-4 OC events per year, whereas the Porsche club (PCA) OC Region (chapter) has 1-3 events in OC per week - mostly free or cost of meal, social & other rally, driving/DE, AX, Tech, CdE, etc events.

I called OC the Black Hole of BMW CCA.

I think that I saw a couple of Cosmos E30s at Detweiler, perhaps one was yours.

It won't be too cool to see mine yet, until I get the crappy `06 failed paint job redone. That body shop went BK the Monday after I picked mine up on a Friday, so just glad I was able to get the car out before then!

Cheers!
                      Tom
                      ///////
                      I think we emailed a little via the E30 CCA, your message sounds familiar.

We used to have a South Bay gtg, but due to low attendance we merged it with the "Mid-City" gtg

Heres mine at Dockweiler, still rocking the original Cosmosblau but as you can see on the trunk, its finally starting to go on the horizontal surfaces...

Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I think we emailed a little via the E30 CCA, your message sounds familiar.

We used to have a South Bay gtg, but due to low attendance we merged it with the "Mid-City" gtg

Heres mine at Dockweiler, still rocking the original Cosmosblau but as you can see on the trunk, its finally starting to go on the horizontal surfaces...

Hey Simon,

I did see your 4 door there then, & my wife pointed it out as the same color as ours. Pix of our below.

Also, a `68 Datsun 2000 - that's pretty cool! One of my high school buddy's older brothers had one new back in the day down in San Diego, & he was always taking on another HS gal buddy's older brother with his Alfa Spyder (2000) to do back country road races in San Diego back in the 1960s were actually close in where it's all built up now.

My 1st car in Fall `69 was a base 1.1L Opel Kadett 2dr notchback coupe - so not anywhere up to those 2, but I tried anyway! LOL
                        I'm the opposite end of the spectrum from your "26 & counting" other cars, as I've only owned 5 including the `68 Open, a `69 Pontiac Ventura 4dr hardtop 400cid (full size & up from Catalina), then the ones listed in my sig. So I keep them, drive them

Back in 2004-05 whenever we had the big fires with the smoke plume blowing over LAX, I'd parked mine out int the long term lot while at a week long conference in Portland, & came back to a layer of ash caked on with salty air dew, & that ate through the clear coat. My original paint was still great up to that point, but it went to crap after that, erg my 2005-06 repaint, which unfortunately was the piss poor job by an otherwise well recommended shop (by AAA & local hot rod & classic car guys). I'll tell the full story in person some time.

I'll be having my regular long term body shop strip & repaint the ole gal soon, as well as reinforcing at the door stays, then I can also get a new rear bumper to replace a cracked on, & get the correct early shrouds & side markers on the front one (replaced in same project due to a clip by another driver). It initially looked okay from 10', but had debris in the paint from bad booth/filter.

While moving the gtg's around SoCal may garner fewer at some location that are new, it may be way to pull in more new owners from around the area, & feed into the annual event. I mean having different ones up in the Valley, Pasadena, IE, South Bay/Long Beach/Beach Cities, OC, etc. Weekends would help attendance at all I would think, as well as getting advanced notice out to folks. I know that our weekday evening PCA-OCR gtgs are less well attended than weekend ones, but we still get 10-15 at them, weekends would garner 20-50 depending on event.

Here below are a couple of post-repaint - pre-paint-failure pix of mine at home.

Cheers!
                        Tom
                        ///////
                        Cheers!
                        Tom
                        Orange, CA, SoCal
                        - plus -
                        ///////

Comment

Anyone have a 731 head they'd trade for my 885? Was planning on boosting my car but decided to go a different direction

Edit: I changed my mind again. Sticking with the 885
                          Last edited by WestCoastEta; 02-17-2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Anyone have recommendations for a place to take my wheels to be restored and powder-coated? I have some style 5 wheels with some minor curb rash and fading paint that could use some love

Comment

Originally posted by ThisGuy310
                              Long time no chat. Anyone have a good smog guy they could recommend me?
                              Please pm me, thanks.
                              Did you find one? I need it too. Both cars are due :(

Anyone who has a hookup please PM!

Originally posted by SteezyMcD View Post
                              Anyone have recommendations for a place to take my wheels to be restored and powder-coated? I have some style 5 wheels with some minor curb rash and fading paint that could use some love
                              I just had a set done by a shop in Gardena called Crisol Metal Finishing which came out nice. Not perfect, but nice. And not bad for $50 per wheel. You definitely have to be very specific about what parts need to be masked. They masked the hud mounting surface but not the bore. By comparison there's an actual "wheel refinisher" close to Crisol's that quoted $90 per wheel. I assume the difference is that one specializes in refinishing wheels while the other doesn't and these sorts of details plus a superior finish are what stand them apart.
                              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by SteezyMcD View Post
                                Not sure where you're at, but I'd recco Al Reed in Anaheim:
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Al-Re...62789037083942

He's well known in the Porsche & other import wheel resto community.

PS - Al specializes in wheels, & you need to be specific on what you want done - from a stock refinish, to custom, to full polish, etc.

Cheers!
                                Tom
                                ///////
                                Last edited by Tom_T; 03-03-2020, 11:03 AM.
                                Cheers!
                                Tom
                                Orange, CA, SoCal
                                - plus -
                                ///////

Comment

Working...
                                X