Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a 92 W124 with 140k on the 2.5 Turbo Diesel motor.... its barely broken in
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

did you find a manual one?
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I found a 92 W124 with 140k on the 2.5 Turbo Diesel motor.... its barely broken in
        How do those compare to e30/e36? Never driven an old benz.
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
          How do those compare to e30/e36? Never driven an old benz.
          They smell inside the cabin is identical to an e30 :rofl:

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

W124 may be one of the greatest MBs ever IMO. It offers a totally different driving experience than a BMW, but if you can scratch your sports car itch, a w124 is an excellent addition to your fleet.

Driving an older MB is an experience in itself. If you haven't ever sat on a spring loaded MB seat, you're missing out lol
            Q

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              They smell inside the cabin is identical to an e30 :rofl:

Comment

haha Im all over the place, but thats kinda the point. I want to be open minded otherwise I have another E30 in the garage in the near future
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

So, opinions on a good daily driver? Ive been looking and I keep going back to a nice M20 E30, but Im trying to explore other options.

5speed is a MUST. I figure even if its a slower car, being able to select the gear on my own will at least let me be more in control of the car and not want to drive it off a cliff. The other thing is A/C. Functioning is nice, if it needs a re-charge thats ok, but if its totally missing/ deleted Im out. I cant go through that headache unless the price is too good to pass. Im aiming for sub$5k but can go higher if the car is worth it. Also leaning towards a 4door if I can, but not a deal breaker if its not

Ive been looking at mk4 TDi as a top pick right now because I love the MPG and ability to tune, but its hard to find something that doesnt have 200k miles on it already.

E36/ E46 arent out totally, but its hard to find one in my range that isnt beat, and I would be very tempted to modify it.

Ive considered a 97 Z3 2.8 because Aluminum M52 haha

Open to Japanese cars if they are RWD, but I probably wont like it
                  There's nothing wrong with a MK4 TDI with 200K.

Just check the paperwork for oil changes every 10k and timing belts every 100k and if it hasn't had one done negotiate about $800 bucks off the price. You'll need to either buy or borrow a VCDS (I have one if you want to check the car out before you buy it).

I sold my 2012 JSW back to VW during the buyback but we kept our '98 bug. It has 220K on it and I plan to take it to a million.
                  Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                    There's nothing wrong with a MK4 TDI with 200K.

Just check the paperwork for oil changes every 10k and timing belts every 100k and if it hasn't had one done negotiate about $800 bucks off the price. You'll need to either buy or borrow a VCDS (I have one if you want to check the car out before you buy it).

I sold my 2012 JSW back to VW during the buyback but we kept our '98 bug. It has 220K on it and I plan to take it to a million.
                    I agree that 200k is nothing, but when they are asking over $5k for it, Im not ready to spend that, because I cant leave that car stock. It will need at least suspension and wheels... and a tune.... and maybe a bigger turbo. Suddenly its not the cheap commuter I bought it for.

I also found a 190e that had its 2.6 swapped in favor of a 3.0 and is also 5 speed. Its basically an E30 though haha
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

That sounds fun, is it BAR legal?
                      Q

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        That sounds fun, is it BAR legal?
                        Its nearly impossible to tell the difference between the 2.6 & 3.0. It has a salvage title though and my searching shows that its never been in an accident, so its probably a mechanics lien. Its also got a lot of questionable mods on it, so Im less excited about it the more I think about it

Its basically the closest thing to a 325i that the 190 can be though haha
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

If it has the 24v 3.0, its going to be a quick car. Plus they look great.
                          Q

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            If it has the 24v 3.0, its going to be a quick car. Plus they look great.
                            Nope, single cam 12v
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

I have an original 84 2.3 190e and a POS e30 and all they have in common is being small and old. E30 at every stage has wanted to be driven hard every time but when I hop in the Benz there's none of that and I can't help but drive like I'm trying to balance a glass of wine on the hood. They've been at exactly the opposite ends of the spectrum reliability wise for me personally, but I'm pretty sure my e30 is just cursed, or just nervous around my family's collection of Mercs.

Comment

I thought of selling my e30 and jumping into W124 but I am hesitant because of the happy feeling I get from driving my e30. Its a stock car (other than it being lowered and wheels) but very nimble and having then ability to swerve in and out of tight spots its awesome. I am more drawn to the 300ce in silver if I could find one in the 2 tone that would be best. I have been in a 260e (euro 300e) and like the ride and the "spring loaded MBZ seat" is comfy as fuck.
                                I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
                                1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

Working...
                                X