Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey i'm installing my coil overs from ie.

The sleeve doesn't clear the nut.
    am i putting them in wrong or what. just thinking about it does it go under the nut?

Also, i just realized what am i supposed to do for the hat. the stocker doesn't seem to fit and ie didn't send one.

Too small by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Cut the spring perch off (you don't have to, but it makes everything much easier). Put the coilover collar on then the shock and securing nut. There should be a top spring hat which the coilover spring seats in that goes under your stock strut mount.

Comment

ok so the sleeve goes under the nut.

ya they didn't include a hat or the weldable collar that they sit on.
        this sucks.

Comment

They fit over bilst./koni shock nuts I believe. You can just section a bigger diameter pipe to weld on or cut the perch off and play with the cut off wheel/dremel to shape what's left over from the perch.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

ya i think i'll just cut a piece off a pipe.

Note: Does not include springs or upper perch.
            Oh well. Should of read more.
            wonder why they don't include the hat, is there another option or what?

at least the rears where complete but i don't like how the sleeve sits directly on the metal.
            metal to metal ain't right boi.

Rearco by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Put the supplied plastic pad on top, adjuster on bottom squeezed around the OEM pad; no more metal on metal.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

@LowR3V'in

Yes, take off the nut. I held my strut in a big vice to twist that little b* off.
                How strange, for the kit to not be a complete kit. I'd recommend buying the perch, versus using a pipe. The perch is going to have a better fit and foundation than a pipe.

For reference, mine,

Last edited by Chilezen; 12-26-2018, 09:00 PM.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Also, guys, next month!

Currently building a badass coffee table
                  Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

@Chilezen
                    i guess the reasoning is that you can use camber plates as the hat
                    they were like 40 bux each and they're sending perches as well.
                    thx for the pics.

@ak-
                    if the sleeve is on teh bottom it rubs on the springs when the arm is extended down.
                    didn't like that.

Comment

I see. I'm using a 4.5" spring so don't think I have that issue.
                      If you didn't weld the front end yet, Garagistic sells the D-perches too.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

You don’t need to weld on perches. It’ll look cleaner, but the stock perch is plenty strong enough to hold the collar/spring. Just cut the excess material the stock spring sits on and go.

Also, you need a top hat with or without camber plates. Without it the spring has nothing to locate it.

Comment

The ie seat they sent just looks like a cut pipe. not those cool looking D rings. meh.

before i call. what are these things?
                          it says they are e30 bearings/bushings but it's clearly from another car. guesses?

[IMG]What? by jet jones, on Flickr[/IMG]
                          Different by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Those look like the updated e36 non-M strut mount. I think it's a part also shared with the e85 Z4.

Comment

when u press in a control arm bushing or
                              do you make it parallel to the ball joint piece or perpendicular to the one closest?
                              the arm has a slight angle so idk what orientation it should go in

Like this? by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Well the arm is going to rotate inside the bushing anyway and you are supposed to use soapy water or some type of lube. Just get it as close as possible.
                                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                                X