This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
    I have a Brand New mishimoto radiator (late model size) and expansion tank for sale.

Pm me if you’re interested.
    Interesting, I have never been a fan of those aluminum rads. Almost everyone who I have met that has them or has used them, ends up with leaking issues, but I can't say they are bad for sure.
    I opted to stick with the OE radiator for my 24 valve swap, no issues to report after 4 years. I have nothing but blue coolant in there, so I can tell right away if I'm leaking. ;D
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Yea there are good aluminum radiators but you wont find them on ebay... stick with the OEM radiator
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Actually forget the radiator. I might have made a terrible decision and bought a nearly-complete (totaled) Z3. 1998 2.8 M52 & manual trans! For $400, I may have been duped, or scored a lucky deal.

If anyone needs parts from a Z3, PM me

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
          Actually forget the radiator. I might have made a terrible decision and bought a nearly-complete (totaled) Z3. 1998 2.8 M52 & manual trans! For $400, I may have been duped, or scored a lucky deal.

If anyone needs parts from a Z3, PM me
          oooo Aluminum M52!... Hope its what you think it is!

Could always build it with the S52 internals on the Aluminum Block ...
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

God damnit, the block is iron. I didn't think to check because I thought all Z's would be aluminum.

Comment

Dont worry, you can still get your money back out of it
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Stop playing around and buy my m54 :)

Comment

God damnit, the block is iron. I didn't think to check because I thought all Z's would be aluminum.
                  IIRC, it's the M52TU's that came with aluminum blocks in Z3's.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The stocks head unit alone is worth $150 or so. You’ll be fine.

Ezekiel 25:17
                    Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                    The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                    The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                    The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      IIRC, it's the M52TU's that came with aluminum blocks in Z3's.
                      I went by Wikipedia's word which reads that all US-spec M52's were iron except for those in Z3's. I suspect the original engine was removed and replaced with this block.

I threw together a list of ideas, just cuz:

A) Remove the iron 2.8 from the Z, then part out useful bits & scrap the body. Don't rebuild the 2.8. Swap in the 2.8 into my car soon, once I accumulate the remaining parts.
                      B) Same as A, but rebuild the 2.8 into a 3.0 or 3.2 with the bigger crank and pistons, which would take longer.
                      C) Sell the motor from the Z along with the part-out. Keep looking for an aluminum block like I wanted originally. And then review A and B again.
                      D) Find all the missing parts to rebuild the Z into a normal car again, and then into a drift missile, after first finding a place to store the car long-term. (This was a friend's suggestion, who is an amateur drifter)

E) Stop wasting my time and energy on this pile of shit and sell it as a whole/send it to the yard.

Simon recommended I see if the car runs before deciding the next move, whether it's worth keeping. The previous owner says it did; ran fine.
                      I turned over the motor by hand, no problem. But it's missing a number of things: the ECU, O2 sensors, and fuel lines. It came with a manual trans, but the thing was plopped on the passenger seat upon delivery. I would have to get a flywheel/flexplate and mount the trans, just to mount the starter to start it. The car's also missing a driveshaft and clutch. Hopefully the EWS doesn't interfere with startup. And it needs a battery.

^This is why option E sounds wonderful, followed by C.
                      Hmmmmmmmmm

A stock head unit can be that much? Damn; this has a Kenwood head unit. In the trunk is a Harman Kardon amp or something.
                      Last edited by Chilezen; 04-30-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

You sound annoyed at your $400 purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
                          You sound annoyed at your $400 purchase.
                          I think its a compounding problem of the S52 purchase that went sour and also that he had hopes it was an aluminum block but ending up with the Iron-Block.

BTW Kevin, How do you know for sure that its an Iron Block?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Annoyed only because I have until Friday to get the car out of the shop I'm storing it in.

The block doesn't have the webbing that alu blocks have. And it's magnetic.

Comment

Sup dudes

Anyone got early model taillights they have no use for? Totally fine with cracked lenses if it means they're way cheaper haha
                              I hate you E30spdfrk

Comment

Annoyed only because I have until Friday to get the car out of the shop I'm storing it in.

The block doesn't have the webbing that alu blocks have. And it's magnetic.
                                I know a guy that was also trying to buy that car for the aluminum engine. Seems he didn't miss much.
                                Byron
                                Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                                X