X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
    yes.

the one that is torn apart ^^ a few post up
    And you're ok with the torque delivery of an s38? Like an s14, it doesn't make power until you are really pushing the motor.

I actually prefer daily driving the e36 m3 over the e34 m5. The m5 is more of a highway car. The m3 is dd grocery getter do everything anytime car. Different from each other in terms driving characteristics, but the m3 is better suited for lower rpm driving, where you will spend 84% of your time, anyways. I want my torque quickly; I don't want to have to spool the motor up high to get it.

And it's outdated. I haven't had the pleasure of driving the b38, but I can't imagine it being "loads" better than the b36 engine.

Just my opinion.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

Ryan, I rarely drive. I bike everywhere or use my wife's Jetta mk4. so my e30 wont ever been a DD again. while i've only had a stock s14 and driven dmity's e28 m5. I like the smoothness of the s38, it's like an m20 but with all of the fun wind-up and instant power of the s14.
      I need ITBs and more power than the m20. so the s38 i see is the only option, unless you can think of a better choice?
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Ryan, I rarely drive. I bike everywhere or use my wife's Jetta mk4. so my e30 wont ever been a DD again. while i've only had a stock s14 and driven dmity's e28 m5. I like the smoothness of the s38, it's like an m20 but with all of the fun wind-up and instant power of the s14.
        I need ITBs and more power than the m20. so the s38 i see is the only option, unless you can think of a better choice?
        Well....

I'm sure you've considered all possibilities from the m-family? The s54 is a great compromise. Torque output is a little low in comparison to HP, but is a much more stout motor (not to mention easily affordable and attainable). Not to mention the added smoothness and higher hp output.

The s62 is quite large for the e30 engine bay, but 400 hp/tq in the smoothest power delivery known to man is hard to say no to.

The s85 is an option but is still too knew and people haven't quite documented this swap to the extent that would make me comfortable enough to attempt on my own.

Clearly engine weight isn't high on you list of concerns, or an s38 wouldn't be your first choice.

If you get a chance, please go out and drive an s54-powered e30. You will be pleasantly surprised how fast they are. Or you can simply ask our very own wheee30 as I'm sure he's driven FredK's car by now.

They are great, fast, dependable, you get the 6 speed (if you want it), and will be quite capable to get you into serious trouble.

You already know all this. And you've already done the research. I just think there are better engines than 30+ year old motor technology present in the s38. Vanos and dual Vanos is a wonderful thing. Take advantage of it.

If you really want to get into an s38 e30, talk to Barry Gier out in Rocklin, Ca. Him and his son have been "working" on completing their b35 swap for the better part of the last 10 years.
        world renown Harry Potter expert
        sigpic

Comment

Didn't you have Euroweaves last week Sina?
          Yes. I also have ADD.

By the way Eric, saw your previous Schwarz 325i(s?).
          New owner's taking great care of it, new brakes, undercoating, engine refresh, etc..

BTW - why not keep an S38 where it belongs, and just grab an M30?
          The E34 M5 is a great car. I've also ridden in my grandma's next-door neighbors thoroughly sorted 530i.
          You can do a lot with the normal big six. That universal growl is mouth-watering.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
            Well....

I'm sure you've considered all possibilities from the m-family? The s54 is a great compromise. Torque output is a little low in comparison to HP, but is a much more stout motor (not to mention easily affordable and attainable). Not to mention the added smoothness and higher hp output.
            i agree with you on all points.
            the issue i have with the s54 is i could never get it to pass BAR. that added with how incorrect the engine looks in the bay and drive by wire make it less than desirable for the amount of work it would take. yes it is a ton more power and more reliable.

Sina, that poor car. im glad im not the owner any more. i lost so much money for so few miles. I knew the guy would take care of it. it cost me 8k and sold it for 5k and drove it for ~2k miles.
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

well....

I'm sure you've considered all possibilities from the m-family? The s54 is a great compromise. Torque output is a little low in comparison to hp, but is a much more stout motor (not to mention easily affordable and attainable). Not to mention the added smoothness and higher hp output.

The s62 is quite large for the e30 engine bay, but 400 hp/tq in the smoothest power delivery known to man is hard to say no to.

The s85 is an option but is still too knew and people haven't quite documented this swap to the extent that would make me comfortable enough to attempt on my own.

Clearly engine weight isn't high on you list of concerns, or an s38 wouldn't be your first choice.

If you get a chance, please go out and drive an s54-powered e30. You will be pleasantly surprised how fast they are. Or you can simply ask our very own wheee30 as i'm sure he's driven fredk's car by now.

They are great, fast, dependable, you get the 6 speed (if you want it), and will be quite capable to get you into serious trouble.

You already know all this. And you've already done the research. I just think there are better engines than 30+ year old motor technology present in the s38. Vanos and dual vanos is a wonderful thing. Take advantage of it.

If you really want to get into an s38 e30, talk to barry gier out in rocklin, ca. Him and his son have been "working" on completing their b35 swap for the better part of the last 10 years.
              +1.
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Poop. S54 all the way but that's a buttload of work and money, same deal with s38 tho.

Comment

I would go with the S54 also, but if the BAR is your concern whats wrong with the M50 family of engines. Lots of options and nowhere near as expensive as the S38.

You should steal the 1.8T from your wifes Jetta and install that. AEB 20v can make more power than the S38 easily
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    Everyone who hasn't already needs to go to Sancho's taco shop in H.B.

dudddeeeee. your car looks a billion times better with those wheels

Comment

and driven dmity's e28 m5.
                      what

everybody BUT me has driven that thing

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                        dudddeeeee. your car looks a billion times better with those wheels
                        Thanks homie. I think I'm still gonna replace the 1 bent euroweave i have in order to the complete the set.

But I'll keep that for when I come back to Cali and if I want to do track days or something.

...Also why is the S54 hard to bar? If I recall correctly, there are a couple of CA dudes here with S54 swaps...

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

@ sina, you done fucked up bromo.
                          but don't worry, I ain't mad at cha.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                            what

which is pretty ironic. you can drive it once the head's back together :D

also phreshkid there's plenty of torque. If you've only driven an e34 M5 it doesn't feel like much because that car weighs about 4 tons.

I'm also installing a cam gear that'll push the torque curve a bit further down.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Or you can simply ask our very own wheee30 as I'm sure he's driven FredK's car by now.
                              nah

the 6 speed bolts up to any 24v motor just the same, s54 doesn't make it any easier to fit

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                I would go with the S54 also, but if the BAR is your concern whats wrong with the M50 family of engines. Lots of options and nowhere near as expensive as the S38.

You should steal the 1.8T from your wifes Jetta and install that. AEB 20v can make more power than the S38 easily
                                the m50s are over played and again the same issue of i need ITBs, and money usually isnt and issue and D doesnt care too much. da no kids life is pretty dam awesome. and there was a guy back east selling his s38 for 4.5k complete that had me except im in school still.

her car is the 2.slow, no turbo there. and you all know i hate 4cyl cars. i like my engine smooth like snoop after a few hits. not harsh like JZ.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                                ...Also why is the S54 hard to bar? If I recall correctly, there are a couple of CA dudes here with S54 swaps...
                                as far as i know, there are no CA BAR legal s54s. the OBD2 swap and 100s of other things that FredK can get away with in NJ are a deal breaker in CA.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                                what

the car is a slut, what can i say. but i love the power plant.
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X