e30 only DYNO Day at RMS!
Collapse
X
-
The raised rev limit is really there to help gearing situations on track, IE, you lose less time carrying more RPM in one gear than shifting and losing the time to make the shift twice, then carry the gear and shift once.I was stoked on the chip but everyone is always excited about a performance chip but honestly the power "seems" yo be different because you know in your mind you changed the chip which creates a plecibo effect. Anything over stock hp is nice. That's a given. The r3v limit was moved up so obviously the power band was moved as well. The seat of the pants dyno isn't accurate at all. That's why I said I wasn't bashing Mark's chip and that I just have to figure out what's going on for sure. And about the torque line being an ignition thing, I didn't blame that on the chip. I will have to do a test with and without the chip to see what happens and if all goes well this week I'll be testing it this Saturday in the morning.
Taylor
A chip isn't going to change the power curve, only help optimize the one that's there.Leave a comment:
-
Dang, i need taylor's help with my front shocks! haWe're making two more of those manifolds... That means that there will be more than one of these monsters on the roads.
I truly love the design. Osh is a maniac when it comes to developement and engineering. He is truly one of the best in my eyes.
The meet this saturday should be great!
Taylor, I think Osh has postponed his trip till next week so we will most likely see your car in here on sat morning. I'll let you know as the week goes on. Unfortunately it will most likely be only you osh and chris cuz I have an obligation with my girlfriends family and disneyland... haha
But I'll call you later on tomight when I get more info.
-ChrisLeave a comment:
-
We're making two more of those manifolds... That means that there will be more than one of these monsters on the roads.MOAR PICTURES!!
Im always up for opening of the minds. I had a great time. I had already been to RMS a LONG tme ago when they were developing the S/C kit for the E39 ///M5. I actually got there and they were dyno-ing it. You can imagine my joy. It sounded godly. Its when they added that CF piece before the airbox. Now they have that absolutely dick-stiffening kit that that ///M5 was sporting was out of this world.
Mariano
I truly love the design. Osh is a maniac when it comes to developement and engineering. He is truly one of the best in my eyes.
The meet this saturday should be great!
Taylor, I think Osh has postponed his trip till next week so we will most likely see your car in here on sat morning. I'll let you know as the week goes on. Unfortunately it will most likely be only you osh and chris cuz I have an obligation with my girlfriends family and disneyland... haha
But I'll call you later on tomight when I get more info.
-ChrisLeave a comment:
-
Did you come late or something?? I thought i wouldve noticed one of your cars??MOAR PICTURES!!
Im always up for opening of the minds. I had a great time. I had already been to RMS a LONG tme ago when they were developing the S/C kit for the E39 ///M5. I actually got there and they were dyno-ing it. You can imagine my joy. It sounded godly. Its when they added that CF piece before the airbox. Now they have that absolutely dick-stiffening kit that that ///M5 was sporting was out of this world.
Mariano
Leave a comment:
-
I agree with Z31maniac. Don't worry about the numbers themselves. You probably would have gotten less power without the Mark D chip. This is a tool to let you know what's going on with the car. I remember dynoing my car in SD after cams, headers, intake, etc. I was expecting 200rwhp or so but only got 155! It was pretty embarrassing because everybody wrote down the numbers they were expecting. I found out later the throttle cable had stretched or misadjusted and was too slack so the engine wasn't reaching full throttle (only about 60% open) from the accelerator pedal. I only found this out because I had Alpha N and could see the throttle position % on my laptop at WOT. How do you know your engine is really reaching WOT from the pedal? You don't know unless you check, which usually involves two people if you don't have a piggyback/stand alone with variable TPS and laptop. Our cables are 20 years old now, don't assume you're getting WOT.
I later dyno'd at two different places and got 209rwhp and 193rwhp. The numbers are very different but average out to what I was hoping for. I'm going to be using the same dyno from now on though, so I could accurately monitor the changes.
Should be interesting to see the effects of the changes once you guys get it back on the dyno.Last edited by reelizmpro; 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM.Leave a comment:
-
MOAR PICTURES!!
Im always up for opening of the minds. I had a great time. I had already been to RMS a LONG tme ago when they were developing the S/C kit for the E39 ///M5. I actually got there and they were dyno-ing it. You can imagine my joy. It sounded godly. Its when they added that CF piece before the airbox. Now they have that absolutely dick-stiffening kit that that ///M5 was sporting was out of this world.Mariano, Thank you for coming and keeping an open mind. So what did you think of RMS? Did you get to take a tour of the shop? I'm glad I could get everyone together to hang out for the day. I was super stoked with the turnout...
Thanks again for coming everyone. And keep your eyes peeled for my 300 dyno tune day...
MarianoLeave a comment:
-
I was stoked on the chip but everyone is always excited about a performance chip but honestly the power "seems" yo be different because you know in your mind you changed the chip which creates a plecibo effect. Anything over stock hp is nice. That's a given. The r3v limit was moved up so obviously the power band was moved as well. The seat of the pants dyno isn't accurate at all. That's why I said I wasn't bashing Mark's chip and that I just have to figure out what's going on for sure. And about the torque line being an ignition thing, I didn't blame that on the chip. I will have to do a test with and without the chip to see what happens and if all goes well this week I'll be testing it this Saturday in the morning.
TaylorLeave a comment:
-
i ran my car as well and i have a Mark D chip and i got 123Hp to the wheels. Im not shoked at my numbers either, thats what i was sort of exspecting sooo..... But then again my cars not really up to par and the whole tuned up and maintained part of its life!Leave a comment:
-
If you're car has an ignition problem it's hardly fair to blame the MarkD chip for giving less results than expected.
Unless you do YOUR car WITH and WITHOUT the MarkD chip, the comparisons are a moot point. You can't compare different prep levels on different cars and expect any kind of true comparison of benefits. His engine may be in much better shape than yours, etc etc.
Dyno your car with the stock chip, then your car with MarkD chip. That is THE ONLY WAY to get an actual comparison to the effects of the MarkD chip.
Not to mention in the GB thread you were happy with this chip until you saw the numbers. I suspect it still picked up a bit of HP over your stock chip, you just are unhappy your motor put down less than 130whp.
I'm not trying to be a dick, but most people are disappointed to see what their motor is ACTUALLY putting down.Hey mark, got my chip yesterday and installed it within 15 minutes after pulling it out of the mailbox lol. I haven had a chance to really open it up all the way so I'll do that tonight when I'm off work. So far I noticed a considerable amount of bottom end in 1st and 2nd and I pull way fuckin hard in 3rd and 4th. So we will see today how it does from a stop. So far though I'm really happy with it. So thanks. I still need to give it some time to adapt because the idle is surging a bit.
Thanks a lot Mark. Big thumbs up.
TalyorLeave a comment:
-
Yeah my engine is a bit high mileage but nothing compared to most M20s. 160k aint bad. I actually didn't get to run it without my chip in but my buddy has a 90 325i with about the same mileage and like I said before, I only put down 3hp more than his completely stock motor. I know that's not a great way to compare results but we didn't have time to run my three times like I wanted to because everyone was tired and Osh wanted to go home. So I only went once and just compared my results to the other cars. Luckily there was a completely stock i motor that ran, a stock motor with 19lbers and an M30 AFM then my car with all of that and the mark D chip. So realistically, that's what I wanted to compare and the only limiting factor is that all the modifications weren't change on one car so results varied.
TaylorLeave a comment:
-
Naw don't say that. I'm not trying to shoot down Mark D's stuff. I just think there may have been a mix up possibly. I know PLENTY of people with his chip that love it and have dyno results to prove it so I'm not saying its a bad product. I hope everyone tries it for themselves so they can make their own assumptions.
And my a/f ratio was good all the way through til about 5200 when it started to lean out at about 14:1 fuel to air. Osh was saying that there is a way to tweek my car a bit more to correct some torque in the bottom end. My torque line looks like blue mountains, up and down, until about 3400rpms then it shoots up at a nice smooth angle. He was telling me that I have an ignition problem that needs to be resolved so we will have this all figured out soon.
Once again, I AM NOT BASHING MARK D's CHIP. I am just a little less than I expected on the dyno chart. It could be a bad tune or something but who knows.
TaylorLeave a comment:
-
I will figure out what's doing to happen with Osh and my car but in the mean time, I am going to be chatting with Mark D'Sylva to see what he can do about the chip I purchased from him. The site claims a gain of 22hp at the crank when a completely stock 325i put down only 3hp less than me to the wheels.
Maybe I got a faulty chip? I don't know but I will have to see what Mark says.
Taylor
what were your numbers before you put the chip in? maybe your engines just tired. i know mine is.Leave a comment:
-
Mariano, Thank you for coming and keeping an open mind. So what did you think of RMS? Did you get to take a tour of the shop? I'm glad I could get everyone together to hang out for the day. I was super stoked with the turnout...
Thanks again for coming everyone. And keep your eyes peeled for my 300 dyno tune day...Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: