This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
    I really like the billiard ball as a shift knob, but I am in love with the door knob style shifter and will be picking up a wooden one soon.
    Door knob wins. I just got my new leather door knob with the M-tech stripe, I love it.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
      For bouncy ride I am going with...

(Scoob =/= M3) + (Boulder roads == teh suck) = bouncy ride
      Pretty sure Scoob vs M3 shouldn't matter, the effective spring rate on the scoob is the same. I'm thinking external factors like tires/pressures, dead bushings, possibly nitrogen charge in the shocks themselves. I'm hoping it's not the shocks.

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      just crank up the stiffness in the shocks.
      Didn't fix it, tried all settings multiple times. It just makes it stiffer but does nothing for the bounce.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
        Pretty sure Scoob vs M3 shouldn't matter, the effective spring rate on the scoob is the same. I'm thinking external factors like tires/pressures, dead bushings, possibly nitrogen charge in the shocks themselves. I'm hoping it's not the shocks.

Didn't fix it, tried all settings multiple times. It just makes it stiffer but does nothing for the bounce.
        I was more getting at the geometry isn't the same, not effective spring rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post

So what sort of "bounce" is it exactly? if you hit a bump, does the suspension oscillate a few times before settling down?

Comment

Door knob wins. I just got my new leather door knob with the M-tech stripe, I love it.
            also, my factory doorknob style shifter ripped in half. Pool ball won't do this.

Comment

I was more getting at the geometry isn't the same, not effective spring rates.
              True, that's why I said effective spring rates (spring rate seen by the wheel). Many other Subarus run coilovers (and ASTs, for that matter) without a bouncy ride, and my legacy is not different suspension geometry-wise to the more common WRX/Imprezas. That's why I'm thinking something else is the problem. The bounce is coming from the rear, and adjusting ride height and damping didn't change anything....so I think it's either something else like tires/pressures/bushings, or highly unlikely but incorrect nitrogen pressure in the shock. I'd be surprised if the N2 pressure was the issue.

Process of elimination's fun.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

So what sort of "bounce" is it exactly? if you hit a bump, does the suspension oscillate a few times before settling down?
                No, that is fixed with changing damper settings. My issue (I'll take you for a ride if you want) is that the car is quite literally bouncing down the road and that the shocks aren't controlling it. Car feels like a pogo stick driving down a pretty flat road (like Folsom). It doesn't feel underdamped like an old Caddy or Suburban, it feels bouncy.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

also, my factory doorknob style shifter ripped in half. Pool ball won't do this.
                  How the hell did you manage that?!? Was it a leather or rubber one?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                    How the hell did you manage that?!? Was it a leather or rubber one?
                    it was the foam/plastic one.

Comment

I've never felt a foam/plastic one. The leather door knob one is leather wrapped wood.

David - ask someone with the same car/setup what combination of settings they used.

Comment

yeah the wood ones are def not gonna rip in half, but I have seen plenty of shift knobs fail where the base of the knob clips into the slot on the shift lever.

Comment

/late to party....

Gavin, do you still do glass?

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                          Originally posted by DTM190
                          "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Random Question

Can I just use some silicon to seal a diff back up or do I need to get a gasket?

Shipping is 3x the price of the product. That is stupid.

1989 325i Alpine White
                            69 STX

Comment

Diff gaskets are stupid. Use Permatex high temp copper gasket maker from autozone. I've used it on 6 or 7 diffs, no issue.

Comment

In reference to david's hopping subaru dilemma, I would have to say that the pogo-stick is a pretty accurate description of what the car feels like.
                                89 325i (Sold)
                                95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                                2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Working...
                                X